Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 09:45 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Does this apply to us Bisexuals too?
It depends on who you're seeing during your employment. Opposite sex - you're safe. Same sex - you're out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2019, 11:09 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
I know of a situation where a gay person was 100% incompetent. But this person was very vocal about being gay, so the company just suffered along until he quit. They knew that if they fired him, they would be facing a lawsuit. It was cheaper to do nothing until he left.

His coworkers had to do HIS job until he left.
If a company wants someone gone...they can find SOME reason to fire them, this is exactly what my old district mgr did when I managed a chain pizza place, he was racist as could be and would not hire any black people for any of his stores, but when they would go to interviews with him, he would just put down something else as the reason why they should not be hired...even though that was not the real reason...same thing with a gay person, companies/managers can say one thing and do another, they do not have to answer to anyone for why they fire someone and even if they did, they could just give a generic reason.

Old 09-25-2019, 01:04 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,553 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
In at-will states, you can terminate someone for no reason at all, but you still need to document specific instances of below average performance or insubordination to protect the company in the event of a lawsuit.

I don't see this becoming a big issue for gay people. Hiring managers may pass on hiring someone who is more obviously gay in the first place (which can't be proven), and if the employee is inherited by a new manager, most will only care about performance. I see this as potentially being a bigger problem for people who were hired as one gender, and later deciding they want to be the other gender.
It is absolutely an issue for gay people.

Old 09-25-2019, 05:22 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,252,971 times
I think that this story has more to it than meets the eye. I doubt someone was fired just because they were gay. I think this person did something and used their sexual orientation as an excuse and of course it plays on the emotions of many people and they buy it Hook Line & Sinker.

Old 09-25-2019, 05:31 AM

15,074 posts, read 10,101,447 times
Depends...

Masculine female, not so much of an issue

Feminine male, probably be an issue.

Otherwise, as long as the person is discrete about their sexuality, which is appropriate in a work environment irregardless, how would management know?

At will employment, you can leave at your will and employer can fire for almost any reason (or none at all). I prefer to leave it that way. I'm actually supporter for LGBTQ rights but pushing for this will most likely have unintended consequences towards business rights.

Old 09-25-2019, 06:02 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Because such conservatives are gay themselves. Straight conservatives likely don't care one way or the other.
So everyone who is "obsessed" with something is that very thing themself?

Does that also apply to people who collect ... let's see coins? Are they coins? Are people who are obsessed with football, well, footballs? Are people who are obsessed with surfing ... surf boards?

Are people who are obsessed with arguing ... arguments?

Interesting theory that makes no sense.

Last edited by newtovenice; 09-25-2019 at 07:27 AM..

Old 09-25-2019, 07:10 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
It is absolutely an issue for gay people.
Yes, because we're always hearing about gays who can't find work because they're gay.

Even in small towns my gay friends have been offered jobs and told they should move there because they'd love the slower life than Chicago affords.

Old 09-25-2019, 09:42 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Yes, because we're always hearing about gays who can't find work because they're gay.

Even in small towns my gay friends have been offered jobs and told they should move there because they'd love the slower life than Chicago affords.
I was fired for being gay back in 2009. It was from a job with the state as well, not a private employer. It really all depends on the employer and the manager. Even if it was against the law to fire somebody for being gay, a virulently homophobic boss would likely find any reason they could to get rid of a gay employee.

Old 09-25-2019, 09:58 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
The real issue is that these laws tell an owner of a business who they must associate with and for what reasons they can terminate an employee. Sound like attributes of a free society?

Old 09-25-2019, 10:06 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I was fired for being gay back in 2009. It was from a job with the state as well, not a private employer. It really all depends on the employer and the manager. Even if it was against the law to fire somebody for being gay, a virulently homophobic boss would likely find any reason they could to get rid of a gay employee.
And I was hired once because they thought I was XYZ religion. I wasn't. Uncomfortable conversations later when they realized I wasn't.

Crap happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies