Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2019, 09:17 AM

8,957 posts, read 2,557,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Nope, a certain subset of the population's confusion about the process is not legal justification to require a vote where none is necessary.

A vote is not necessary to start an official impeachment inquiry.
I never said a vote was necessary for the house to claim that they have started an official impeachment inquiry, I said that it was necessary if they want to compel the white house to cooperate....because it is. This could all be cleared up in half an hour, but the house is refusing to do so. Clearly there is something they are afraid of.

Old 10-08-2019, 09:17 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,094,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
I didn't say that it did, but when you claim to be doing something and that claim is disputed....why not clear it up if you can do so easily? If there was a vote, there would be no dispute as to if an official inquiry was taking place and the inquiry would have a much easier time with things. I mean, if the goal is truly to do a good job, why wouldn't they want to do that? They have the votes for it right?
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/hou...articles-votes

. . . while leadership hasn't officially whipped or nose-counted a vote to "impeach," they believed the numbers were there based on the 227 votes already on record for an inquiry and were working under that assumption.

When asked what could stop the process, the source said it was unclear but the caucus couldn't rule out the idea of "cold feet" among some Democrats,

The House currently has 433 members: 235 Democrats, 197 Republicans and one Independent. A bill must be passed by a simple majority, requiring at least 217 votes.

Even if 18 Democrats vote against the articles, the majority party could still have enough votes to pass impeachment.

Independent Rep. Justin Amash from Michigan has said he could vote in favor of impeachment, which meant Democrats could lose 19 votes and still pass impeachment articles.

Old 10-08-2019, 09:24 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,811,747 times
Quote:
I didn't say that it did, but when you claim to be doing something and that claim is disputed....why not clear it up if you can do so easily? If there was a vote, there would be no dispute as to if an official inquiry was taking place and the inquiry would have a much easier time with things. I mean, if the goal is truly to do a good job, why wouldn't they want to do that? They have the votes for it right?
Why don't you hold McConnell up to these standards. McConnell is not following the constitution by sending bills passed by the House to committee. There is no constitutional requirement for the House to vote proceeding an impeachment investigation.

Old 10-08-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Why don't you hold McConnell up to these standards. McConnell is not following the constitution by sending bills passed by the House to committee. There is no constitutional requirement for the House to vote proceeding an impeachment investigation.
Oh I hold him to the same standards, if he were to merely say that a bill passed the senate without a vote, then I'm sure people would call him on it.

Old 10-08-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:
I never said a vote was necessary for the house to claim that they have started an official impeachment inquiry, I said that it was necessary if they want to compel the white house to cooperate....because it is. This could all be cleared up in half an hour, but the house is refusing to do so. Clearly there is something they are afraid of.

Trump won't cooperate after any vote. He is presently using the "vote" as an excuse, stall tactic, and talking point fed to his followers to preach for him. Trump won't cooperate anymore than he has on anything in the past including releasing his tax returns.

Old 10-08-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Oh I hold him to the same standards, if he were to merely say that a bill passed the senate without a vote, then I'm sure people would call him on it.
Kind of complicated for you, isn't it?

Mitch doesn't have a vote or even send a bill that passed in the House to committee.

Old 10-08-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
WHIP LIST: The 227 House Democrats backing an impeachment inquiry
BY CRISTINA MARCOS - 05/21/19 05:03 PM EDT

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4...resident-trump

Old 10-08-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Kind of complicated for you, isn't it?
No, it's not complicated at all. Same standards for both.

Old 10-08-2019, 09:32 AM

226 House Democrats, one Independent and 0 Republicans in the House of Representatives say they support at least opening an impeachment inquiry into whether the president committed “high crimes and misdemeanors.” Of those, 30 Democrats have gone a step further and said they support impeaching the president.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...use-democrats/

Old 10-08-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
No, it's not complicated at all. Same standards for both.
Impeach McConnell!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies