Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2019, 06:59 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Senate Democrats wrote to the Ukrainian government in May 2018 urging it to continue investigating the President and suggesting that if they don't, aid may be withheld. Over in the House, Pelosi announced that the mere mention of investigating Biden, even if there was no quid pro quo, is enough to begin an impeachment inquiry. Double standard? So thinks the Washington Post.
The US Congress officially asking them to not impede the Muller (Congress appointed) investigation seems like the proper way to handle it. What is the issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2019, 07:01 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,101,447 times
"Investigate my opponent or else we will withhold supportive financial aid already approved."

vs

"Continue cooperation with a US ongoing investigation as a token towards improving foreign relations."

There's a difference. It doesn't take much intelligence to see the obvious difference. But yeh.. both parties do crappy things.

Old 09-25-2019, 07:01 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,182,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
That letter isn't remotely close to being about what you said it was about.

Is this what Trumplings have to do to try to attack the dems? Completely make up something about something that's staring them in the face?
LOL, no kidding. I guess reading is hard.

1. At no point is there any sort of extortion.

2. They're not asking for help in digging up dirt on a political opponent. They're asking about if anyone has obstructed from assisting in an open investigation into Paul Manafort, who isn't a political opponent.

3. The Senators didn't threaten to withhold aid. They said, Ukraine's government apparently says the "cases as too politically sensitive and potentially jeopardizing U.S. financial and military aid to Ukraine". It almost sounds like, and let me know if we've heard this one before...that someone else from the U.S. might withhold aid from Ukraine based on whether Ukraine's government investigates something. These Senators aren't threatening anything.

Old 09-25-2019, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The US Congress officially asking them to not impede the Muller (Congress appointed) investigation seems like the proper way to handle it. What is the issue?
The issue is the lack of reading comprehension by many people, apparently.

Old 09-25-2019, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
"Investigate my opponent or else we will withhold supportive financial aid already approved."

vs

"Continue cooperation with a US ongoing investigation as a token towards improving foreign relations."

There's a difference. It doesn't take much intelligence to see the obvious difference. But yeh.. both parties do crappy things.
Correct, it doesn't even take much intelligence to see the obvious difference. The bar is set really low today.

Old 09-25-2019, 07:05 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,101,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
The issue is the lack of reading comprehension by many people, apparently.
Apparently starting with the author of the OpEd... Thiessen

Probably not go any further than the OpEd since most reading the piece would question his logic.

Old 09-25-2019, 07:08 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,381,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
Correct, it doesn't even take much intelligence to see the obvious difference. The bar is set really low today.
Both are very much related, as both relate to withholding funds to manipulate a foreign government to achieve a goal. Of course, the Democrats requested Trump investigations continue in order to harm him politically. These are exactly the same thing, if indeed there is even any proof that Trump requested Biden be looked into, which as of now is only hearsay.

Old 09-25-2019, 07:10 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,422,948 times
What part of seeking out political assistance AND aid from a foreign entity IS ILLEGAL does the RADICAL RIGHT NOT understand? They had more than 3 years to learn that lesson with the Mueller report.

Judge Napolitano: Trump has admitted committing crime in talks with Ukraine

Quote:
Judge Andrew Napolitano told Fox News host Shepard Smith on Tuesday that the president effectively confessed to a crime when he admitted he asked Ukraine to investigate former Vice President Joe Biden and his son, Hunter.

Napolitano, a Fox News senior judicial analyst, had framed President Trump's earlier statement as an admission that he tried to "solicit aid for his campaign from a foreign government."

“So that to which the president has admitted is in and of itself a crime,” Smith followed. Napolitano responded, "yes," and claimed it was the same crime former Special Counsel Robert Mueller investigated as part of the long-running Russia investigation.
https://www.foxnews.com/media/judge-...admitted-crime

Old 09-25-2019, 07:10 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,503,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I would agree with you on that, but with the way things have been going in government for the past year, it seems to me that both the Democrats and Trump are in some kind of ridiculous horse race to see who can make the most stupid move or take the most stupid position. First one will take the lead, and then the other one will -- and at this point, I think that the odds are even as to who will win in November 2020.

You know, it just occurred to me that most Republicans are mainly "lying low" and staying out of the news for the most part, although I could be wrong about that. However, if I am correct, I wonder if that is not the best strategy -- to just let the Democrats dig their own graves, so to speak.
I think the odds were 50/50 with Biden. Warren is unelectable. Her entire campaign revolves around bribes to certain segments of the population, and paid by with other people's money. Plus, her entire attempt to use affirmative action to advance her own career - obviously at the expense of a minority whom she purports to want to help - is a very big deal.

As far as Republicans lying low, I think that might be a good strategy. I'm not sure who said it, but basically there's a saying that when you're opponent is hanging himself, don't interrupt.

Old 09-25-2019, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Both are very much related, as both relate to withholding funds to manipulate a foreign government to achieve a goal. Of course, the Democrats requested Trump investigations continue in order to harm him politically. These are exactly the same thing, if indeed there is even any proof that Trump requested Biden be looked into, which as of now is only hearsay.
I think you should re-read the letter. If you're having trouble with that, ask someone to explain it to you.

Just because the letter mentions financial and military aid doesn't make it the same.

They were looking into Paul Manafort, not Trump. A lot of the Ukraine stuff related to Paul Manafort had nothing directly to do with Trump. Again, not the same thing. If you think they are exactly the same thing, then please write me a check with a 1 followed by 6 zeroes. And believe me, it's exactly the same thing as a check with a 1 followed by a period followed by 2 zeroes.

Trump requested Biden be looked into his hearsay? Rudy and Trump already said they did that in front of TV cameras.

Seriously, go ask a fourth grade teacher if you're interpreting this letter correctly. I'm not trying to be mean. I'm trying to be helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies