Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2019, 05:05 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,428,983 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the heads up guys. I have a pack of six steak knives in my dining room. Each is a different colour, and they are real pretty, and real sharp.

We are having steak in a little while. I better draw the curtains in case someone sees them.

After dinner, I'll bury them in my back yard, before the knife police come to take them away.

What would I do without you people in city-data?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2019, 05:09 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,175 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
The police do chase mopeds, however in terms of a chase if it endangers the public, Seior Offices in communication can ask cars to drop back, deploy air support through the National Poice Air Service (NPAS) and deploy units with stinger to bock roads ahead.

A more controversial tactic has been the ramming of moped vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guardian

Police in London say tough tactics used against suspected violent thieves on mopeds, including chasing them and knocking them off their bikes, have helped reduce crime.

The Metropolitan police said there had been a 36% reduction in thefts that involved mopeds or scooters since the tactics were adopted last year.

These include providing officers with a special marking spray to fire at suspects, using remote-controlled spikes to burst the tyres of bikes, and using police cars to knock suspects off their bikes.

Officers had been reluctant to chase mopeds, some driven at high speed by suspects as young as 14, amid fears of injury or death

Met police driving cars into thieves on mopeds in crime crackdown - The Guardian
As for crime reporting in the UK, you have to report crime in order for the police to give you a crime number, and you need a crime number for any insurance claim. There were even reports of people falsely claiming they were mugged in order to claim insurance money and to updaye their phones or other devices.

As for UK Crime Statistics they take it asccount police statistics, Crime Survey Statistics and Hospital Admission statistics and are some of the most comprehensive in the world. The latest hospital statistics show a reduction in admissions for violent crime, as do other stats in relation to a lot of crime in London.

Fewer people injured in violent attacks - A&E data study - BBC News

The Government is cracking down further with the announcement of 20,000 more police officers (including 6,000 in London) and 10,000 more prison places coupled with new equipment and units.

Despite the usual media frenzy London is a very safe city for it's size and certainly a lot safer than many US cities.

Last edited by Brave New World; 09-28-2019 at 05:22 AM..

Old 09-28-2019, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Guns aren't banned----just everything but 22s! Sounds like the government has you under control. America would never tolerate such a situation.
You clearly don't know UK Law, as by law, as you can upgrade a firearms licence in order to purchase and use more powerful weapons needed to cull or hunt deer and other larger mammals. The law states that such animals should be killed cleanly and only much more powerful weapons can be used. A handgun is also permitted in such circumstances fo humane dispatch, should t be necessary.

Deer stalking - BASC

In terms of Shotguns and lower calibre firearms, they are mainly used for shooting game birds, controlling vermin and target shooting or clay pigeon shooting rather than in relation to larger mammals.

Last edited by Brave New World; 09-28-2019 at 05:47 AM..

Old 09-28-2019, 08:40 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,119,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
You clearly don't know UK Law, as by law, as you can upgrade a firearms licence in order to purchase and use more powerful weapons needed to cull or hunt deer and other larger mammals. The law states that such animals should be killed cleanly and only much more powerful weapons can be used. A handgun is also permitted in such circumstances fo humane dispatch, should t be necessary.

Deer stalking - BASC

In terms of Shotguns and lower calibre firearms, they are mainly used for shooting game birds, controlling vermin and target shooting or clay pigeon shooting rather than in relation to larger mammals.
A firearms license? You'd probably fall off your stool if you saw my pistol collection alone.
There is no equivalency between British and American gun regs.

No criticism of you or my colonial relatives, just an observation.

Old 09-28-2019, 08:46 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Thanks for the heads up guys. I have a pack of six steak knives in my dining room. Each is a different colour, and they are real pretty, and real sharp.

We are having steak in a little while. I better draw the curtains in case someone sees them.

After dinner, I'll bury them in my back yard, before the knife police come to take them away.

What would I do without you people in city-data?
Just make sure you put them in a different spot from the Enfield, Sten, and Webleys you buried.

Old 09-28-2019, 09:31 AM

1,877 posts, read 677,830 times
Quote:
A firearms license? You'd probably fall off your stool if you saw my pistol collection alone.

Yes, they are very different, the vast majority of British people are very happy that we don't have the gun culture that the US has.

There are very few opinion polls on the subject in the UK because it isn't really a controversial issue here, there's no great debate on gun laws like there is in the US, and no powerful lobby groups like the NRA, the overwhelming majority of the public do not want US style gun laws and there are no significant groups calling for that because they know it's very unpopular.

This opinion poll from 2010 suggests a mere 4% of people wanting British gun controls relaxed at all, 23% saying they are about right as they are, 38% saying they should be tightened further and 31% saying there should be an outright ban on all civilian gun ownership.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics...07/Ban-on-guns

Calls for tighter gun control have not usually come from the government, they have come from among the public. I think Americans with their very different gun culture often don't seem to realise this, they seem to think it's the government 'disarming' the public who all want to have guns but have that desire frustrated by legislation which isn't the case (except for a very very small minority who would maybe want more guns). Looking at UK gun laws through the prism of US style gun culture doesn't make any sense if you want to understand the situation here.

Likewise I think British people often don't understand the US situation, if Americans think that the best way to tackle crime is for everybody to have guns then that is their decision but it isn't something that is a popular idea over here.

Old 09-28-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:

I agree, there are big cultural difference however guns are not banned in the UK and many people do enjoy firearms related sports or keep guns for vermin/pest control reasons.

There are a number of rifle clubs and shooting grounds in the UK, the most famous being Bisley which is the equivalent in shooting terms to Wimbledon in relation to tennis, we also have an NRA that predates the US organisation of the same name.

NRA » About Bisley - NRA

Bisley Shooting Ground

People in the UK don't hate guns, we just the concept of concelead carry or keeping a hangun in the house for protection would seem strange to most Brits. However gun sports and guns used for employment means or vermin/pest control are fine.

Last edited by Brave New World; 09-28-2019 at 11:37 AM..

Old 09-28-2019, 11:13 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Powers View Post
Yes but how will you get those sticks pointy when they ban whittling knives?
Bench top grinders.

They should be outlawed as well.

Old 09-28-2019, 11:58 AM

50,290 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

Deer stalking - BASC

lower calibre? What does that even mean?

Caliber means squat. A .17 HM rimfire is a deadly little cartridge. We shoot larger game with them quite often and when we butcher steers we use .22 long rifle rim fire to dispatch it. Buckshot through a shotgun is about the most deadly round there is up to 100 yards. Anyone that actually hunts knows this.

Ammo bans are ridiculous. You can cut open a shot shell and drop in ball bearings and seal with some wax.

Old 09-28-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
lower calibre? What does that even mean?

Caliber means squat. A .17 HM rimfire is a deadly little cartridge. We shoot larger game with them quite often and when we butcher steers we use .22 long rifle rim fire to dispatch it.
Lower calibre is .22 Rimfire, although not semi automatic, in terms of large mammals such as certain types of deer, wild boar oor other large mammals, more powerful rifles are required by law in the UK. The laws vary according to England & Wales, Scotland and NI.

Rifle Calibres - County Deer Stalking

Last edited by Brave New World; 09-28-2019 at 12:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies