Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2019, 09:47 AM

1,877 posts, read 677,231 times

Advertisements

For once I agree with you Dave, it's almost as if people just read the somewhat misleading title of the thread and then comment without actually reading what it is they are commenting on!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2019, 09:54 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,424,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnM258 View Post
For once I agree with you Dave, it's almost as if people just read the somewhat misleading title of the thread and then comment without actually reading what it is they are commenting on!
I just shake my head in disbelief how stupid some people are. I said in an earlier post, that I have seen lots of sharp pointed kitchen knives on sale this very day in a supermarket. It's like I'm talking in a foreign language, as they carry on waffling about maybe we should stock up on chopsticks. It's just nuts.

Old 09-29-2019, 10:03 AM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Watch my lips. The British government are not going to ban sharp pointed knives.
True. But there was a newspaper report a few months back of a bill introduced in the House of Commons that would have done just that.

Old 09-29-2019, 01:28 PM

27,134 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
True. But there was a newspaper report a few months back of a bill introduced in the House of Commons that would have done just that.
I have heard of no such bill to introduce a ban on Kitchen Knives, and there are no plans to ban kitchen knives.

There was the Offensive Weapons Act 2019, however no where in the act does it mention a ban on kitchen knives, it does however bring it stricter rules to help prevent knife crime in public, but this is very different to having a kichen knife in your home.

Offensive Weapons Act 2019 - Wikipedia

Other legislation included the Assaults on Emergency Workers (Offences) Act 2018, which doubled the sentencing powers of the courts in relation to those who assault emergency workers (forst responders) and of course their was Finn's Law also known as the The Animal Welfare (Service Animals) Bill which came in to effect on the 8 June 2019, and which offers greater sentecing powers in relation to service (police and emergency service) animals such as police dogs and horses.

Other than that I know of no other bills or acts, or any planned ban on pointed kitchen knives, indeedit would be a brave Government that tried to ban the sale of pointed kitchen knives and I very much doubt the present Government has any such plans, whilst the UK Parliament is in such disarray at the moment it would be lucky to pass any legislation.

Last edited by Brave New World; 09-29-2019 at 01:58 PM..

Old 09-29-2019, 01:59 PM

Amid Push for Knife Control, UK Shows Gun Control Doesn’t Increase Safety. The U.K. already criminalizes the purchase or possession of various types of knives, and the carrying of any knife with a blade longer than 3 inches in public is illegal unless it is carried “with good reason.” Self-defense is not considered a good reason.

Not allowed to defend yourself.

https://www.dailysignal.com/2018/04/...-hasnt-worked/

So if you are attacked, you cannot have a knife or gun to defend yourself.

Old 09-29-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Amid Push for Knife Control, UK Shows Gun Control Doesn’t Increase Safety. The U.K. already criminalizes the purchase or possession of various types of knives, and the carrying of any knife with a blade longer than 3 inches in public is illegal unless it is carried “with good reason.” Self-defense is not considered a good reason.

Not allowed to defend yourself.

https://www.dailysignal.com/2018/04/...-hasnt-worked/

So if you are attacked, you cannot have a knife or gun to defend yourself.
The Law relating to Offensive Weapons in public goes back to 1953, and the Mayor of London does not make laws that is the remit of parliament, whilst operational matters in relation to the police in London are the remit of the Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police Cressida Dick, the National Police Chiefs Council (NPCC) and the Home Office.

Elected Mayor's and Crime Commissioners in the UK do have some responsibility in terms of police resources and crime in their area, however they do not have any powers in terms of operational matters.

So the Article is pure nonsense and the law has been that you can not carry a weapon of any sort and has been since 1953, and the police have the right to stop and search if they have ‘reasonable grounds’ to suspect you’re carrying any sort of weapon. As for knives there has been varying tightening of the legislation over the years, however you can generally carry a knife if you have good reason such as employment and in terms of small folding knives (pocket knives) you are allowed to carry them.

Offensive weapon - Wikipedia

Prevention of Crime Act 1953 - Wikipedia

Selling, buying and carrying knives - GOV.UK

Last edited by Brave New World; 09-29-2019 at 02:17 PM..

Old 09-29-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The Law relating to Offensive Weapons in public goes back to 1953, and the Mayor of London does not make laws that is the remit of parliament, whilst operational matters in relation to the police in London are the remit of the Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police Cressida Dick.

So the Article is pure nonsense and the law has been that you can not carry a weapon of any sort and has been since 1953, and the police have the right to stop and search if they have ‘reasonable grounds’ to suspect you’re carrying any sort of weapon. As for knives there has been varying tightening of the legislation over the years, however you can generally carry a knife if you have good reason such as employment and in terms of small folding knives (pocket knives) you are allowed to carry them.

Offensive weapon - Wikipedia

Prevention of Crime Act 1953 - Wikipedia

Selling, buying and carrying knives - GOV.UK

But what I posted is true, you cannot carry ANYTHING to defend yourself. You are at the mercy of criminals.

Old 09-29-2019, 02:22 PM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Quote:
But what I posted is true, you cannot carry ANYTHING to defend yourself. You are at the mercy of criminals.
True, and that is the bottom line, even in your home, you can NOT legally use a weapon, or anything, to defend yourself.

Old 09-29-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
You can not carry anything classed as a weapon in public and neither can anyone else, however you can use anything that comes to hand and you can take self defence lessons such as krav maga.

You can also use reasonable force, and even beyond reasonable force to defend your property and yourself.

You may also pick up anything that is at at hand to defend yourself and your property including a knife, and can use violence that results in the death of the other party. You could also use a gun such as a shotgun if you fear for your life but you must not carry on attacking the intruder even if you’re no longer in danger or pre-plan a trap for someone - rather than involve the police.

A recent case was that of a man who legally stabbed an intruder to death with a kitchen knife in London.

Hither Green stabbed burglar Henry Vincent lawfully killed - BBC News

Using reasonable force against intruders - GOV.UK

Old 09-29-2019, 04:05 PM

1,877 posts, read 677,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
True, and that is the bottom line, even in your home, you can NOT legally use a weapon, or anything, to defend yourself.
No, that isn't the bottom line, and it isn't true. As has already been explained.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies