Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2019, 11:37 PM

10,520 posts, read 6,157,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
You don't have to worry about it, but most of the things on your list, people take precautions. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Maybe you should wear a t-shirt saying you are unarmed, and walk around your local areas.
Why would I do that?

Why dont you wear a t shirt that says 'hey I'm carrying a knife, it's just a 3 incher" . What a dumb argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2019, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Enough said
Yes. Thanks.

Old 09-26-2019, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Which is why many girls "carry" men as accessories. Nothing is more useful in keeping off vicious attackers (male or female) than your own "bad boy".

Do you think I have my husband with me 24/7?
Who do you think I am? Karen Pence. LOL. You're hilarious.

It's kinda sad, the presumptions about 4 or 5 of you have already made which are entirely wrong.

Old 09-26-2019, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
You're missing the point (pun intended).
Governments instituted to punish wrong doers resort to banning liberty when they are incompetent. Thus when folks say "do something about it," they point to their abolition of liberty. You can never prove how much crime you prevented.

As to the ability of the government to ban "certain" cutting implements, look around and try to find "street legal" swords, switchblades and other "banned" knives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ynfr6PNws1M
No idea what you're talking about related to my statement that knives are not banned in the UK.
Again. Knives are not banned. How many times do I have to say it?

Apologies, I do not watch YouTube videos posted on CD.
Did you have a point to make?

Old 09-27-2019, 03:07 AM

27,134 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
No idea what you're talking about related to my statement that knives are not banned in the UK.
Again. Knives are not banned. How many times do I have to say it?

Apologies, I do not watch YouTube videos posted on CD.
Did you have a point to make?

Knives are not banned in the UK.

As for public places, you can carry around knives and sharp tools as long as you have a good reason such as employment, a tradesman, butcher, farmer, game keeper, vet and numerous other professions might need to carry tools incluiding knives longer than three inches.

Selling, buying and carrying knives - GOV.UK

You can also carrty a sword for religious reasons, indeed Sikhs sometimes carry around a short ceremonial sword called a Kirpan.

What you can not do, is carry around a knife. weapon or indeed tools with intent to commit (going equipped to carry out a crime), and you can not carry a knife or other weapon in public merely for self defence purposes in the UK and indeed in most countries.

This is also not new legislation it goes back to the UK Prevention if Crime Act 1953, which is over 65 years ago.

Offensive weapon - Wikipedia

Prevention of Crime Act 1953 - Wikipedia

As for kitchen knives, there is a lot of choice in the UK, and no one is banning traditional kitchen knives, just because one company has launched a new knife, indeed rounded tipped knives including kitchen kives are nothing new.

Last edited by Brave New World; 09-27-2019 at 03:41 AM..

Old 09-27-2019, 03:46 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,115,170 times
Are wood chisels on the buyback list?

Old 09-27-2019, 03:49 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
It's one reason the Brits invented the Butter Knife years ago.

Arguments at the dining room table.

Old 09-27-2019, 03:53 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,115,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

Knives are not banned in the UK.

As for public places, you can carry around knives and sharp tools as long as you have a good reason such as employment, a tradesman, butcher, farmer, game keeper, vet and numerous other professions might need to carry tools incluiding knives longer than three inches.

Selling, buying and carrying knives - GOV.UK

You can also carrty a sword for religious reasons, indeed Sikhs sometimes carry around a short ceremonial sword called a Kirpan.

What you can not do, is carry around a knife. weapon or indeed tools with intent to commit (going equipped to carry out a crime), and you can not carry a knife or other weapon in public merely for self defence purposes in the UK and indeed in most countries.

This is also not new legislation it goes back to the UK Prevention if Crime Act 1953, which is over 65 years ago.

Offensive weapon - Wikipedia

Prevention of Crime Act 1953 - Wikipedia

As for kitchen knives, there is a lot of choice in the UK, and no one is banning traditional kitchen knives, just because one company has launched a new knife, indeed rounded tipped knives including kitchen kives are nothing new.

I did note the wording "you can not carry a knife or other weapon in public merely for self defence purposes in the UK and indeed in most countries". Self defense is illegal in Great Britain, but not in America.

Old 09-27-2019, 04:01 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
I did note the wording "you can not carry a knife or other weapon in public merely for self defence purposes in the UK and indeed in most countries". Self defense is illegal in Great Britain, but not in America.
Shame. That's against the laws of nature.

Self defense of you and your family is one of the basic human rights we all have as humans.

Old 09-27-2019, 04:08 AM

1,877 posts, read 677,231 times
Self Defence is not illegal, but it does have to be reasonable and proportionate to be legal, you can't just kill somebody because they deliberately bumped into you or stole your sandwich and expect to avoid prosecution.

And the carrying of dangerous weapons is restricted, which most people are perfectly happy about, there is no great controversy around that here and no clamour to change the law, firearms just don't hold the same central place in British culture (or indeed the culture of most developed countries) that they do in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies