Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2019, 05:44 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
It's an interesting question, what should be done with pretend victims? This does seem to be something that adolescent girls OFTEN do, from the time of the Salem Witch Trials up to now. They create victim status for themselves because victim girls get so much attention.

She clearly suffers from some kind of instability - would it do society good to further humiliate her? From now until she dies, everyone who knows her will remember her as the girl who lied about being assaulted.

I don't know what should be done. But I'm no stranger to adolescent girls pretending to be victims.

And I do hope that the parents in the community warn their sons and daughters to steer clear of her - because she's dangerous. She couldn't be more dangerous if she held a grenade in her hand.
Well she is 12, so pretty much removes some sort of criminal type justice. however, for those older and adults, sorry, that is a hate crime in itself. False accusation based on a protected class, and should come with harsher penalties including prison.

Old 09-30-2019, 05:51 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,602,303 times
Quote:
It's an interesting question, what should be done with pretend victims? This does seem to be something that adolescent girls OFTEN do, from the time of the Salem Witch Trials up to now. They create victim status for themselves because victim girls get so much attention.

She clearly suffers from some kind of instability - would it do society good to further humiliate her? From now until she dies, everyone who knows her will remember her as the girl who lied about being assaulted.

I don't know what should be done. But I'm no stranger to adolescent girls pretending to be victims.

And I do hope that the parents in the community warn their sons and daughters to steer clear of her - because she's dangerous. She couldn't be more dangerous if she held a grenade in her hand.
Yeah, she's damaged goods now.

Under 18 - a fine starting at $500 and community service starting at 60 hours - adjusted depending on circumstances such as what the accusation was, how many were accused, if there was cost to police or school in investigating the accusation.

Over 18 - a fine starting at $1000 and community service starting at 100 hours and time in jail starting at 2 weeks. Again, depending on the factors above.

That should stop this nonsense. Right now there is no incentive to curtail this kind of thing.

Old 09-30-2019, 06:07 PM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Plenty of us said it right away in this thread. Given the number of hoaxes, which outweigh the actual crimes, it's just common sense to question every accusation now.
Depends how you define "crimes" but there are around 10k hate crimes in the US each year.

The best course of action is the time-tested, "innocent until proven guilty".

Unfortunately, we have a number of racists and political hacks that want accusation = guilt to sooth their souls and support their agenda.

But again, there are not more hoaxes than real crimes. If you argued that excluding the clear cut ones, like the guy that shot up the Jewish community center near me, then you would have a stronger case.

Old 09-30-2019, 06:10 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,948,343 times
I'm kind of thinking one way to curtail this false victimhood is stop giving victims of minor offenses, with zero corroborating evidence, so much attention.

We need to cut the social "benefit" of being a victim of a minor crime, and that would hopefully end this craziness of pretending to be a victim.

Old 09-30-2019, 06:13 PM

17,617 posts, read 6,903,332 times
Quote:
I'm kind of thinking one way to curtail this false victimhood is stop giving victims of minor offenses, with zero corroborating evidence, so much attention.

We need to cut the social "benefit" of being a victim of a minor crime, and that would hopefully end this craziness of pretending to be a victim.
Talk to the liberals. They're the ones who deify any minority victim.

Old 09-30-2019, 06:13 PM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
I'm not "cowed" into silence, it's just that I don't want to chase negative thoughts. I really would feel sad if I said something like this doesn't seem right, seems like she's making this up, and then 3 days later they arrest the boys and it's all true.

You see so many people on the internet, for example, when a child goes missing from a campground and people line up to say polygraph the parents, uh huh, sure that kid was there, etc., that it just seems sad. I don't want to add to the negativity.

And to be truthful, I don't want to be wrong, and feel guilty disparaging someone who is a struggling victim.

But yes. This story didn't smell right.
It's extremely easy to deal with these stories.

1) Wait for the facts to come out.
2) Reserve judgement until they do.

If you do that, you don't get sucked into the lies of the Jussies, Michael Brown family, Chicago PD when shooting Laquan McDonald, Milwaukee doctor that claimed some "black guy" murdered his wife (he did it), the girl with the miracle increase in her SAT or a host of others.

Please note, this is absolutely non-partisan, non-racial.

Just wait. Get more information. Simple to follow and prevents one from looking like the OP of this thread for example.

Old 09-30-2019, 06:14 PM

2,982 posts, read 1,747,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
Guess your wrong!
In katharsis’ defense, he/she was the first poster to come back to this thread and admit jumping the gun and gullibility. So there’s that.

Old 09-30-2019, 06:15 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,602,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Depends how you define "crimes" but there are around 10k hate crimes in the US each year.

The best course of action is the time-tested, "innocent until proven guilty".

Unfortunately, we have a number of racists and political hacks that want accusation = guilt to sooth their souls and support their agenda.

But again, there are not more hoaxes than real crimes. If you argued that excluding the clear cut ones, like the guy that shot up the Jewish community center near me, then you would have a stronger case.
Poor wording on my part. When it comes to these reports of hate crimes of white people against Muslims or black people.....the number of hoaxes seem to outweigh the actual hate crimes.

Old 09-30-2019, 06:16 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
Quote:

good luck persuading the media to do that. they always lavish attention on these kinds of stories, at least up until they turn out to be hoaxes.

compare how the NYT titled this story, before and after:

https://ibb.co/tb765CW

no agenda there

Old 09-30-2019, 06:17 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackF View Post
In katharsis’ defense, he/she was the first poster to come back to this thread and admit jumping the gun and gullibility. So there’s that.
yes, without hesitation. kudos to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies