Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2019, 06:48 PM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times

Advertisements

v
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
That has been my thinking in the last few days.
The worst thing for Republicans would be for this to drag on through next spring.

Trump acting increasingly bizarre.

Mattis mocking Trump with zingers.

One staff member after another resigning.

Mulvaney, Giuliani ... blurting out the truth.

Committee hearings with witnesses handing out written statements.

GOP candidates couldn't step out in public without being quizzed about what's what.

How does anyone campaign like that?

You can bet Moscow Mitch wants this over. Since it appears that Pelosi knows what she is doing and is unlikely to be hurried along, then he may try to convince Trump it would be in his best interest to negotiate an exit deal.

We'll see, but I can't see this ending in impeachment votes, not after this week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2019, 07:13 PM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
"Pew reported that nine percent of respondents who had initially opposed the investigation have changed their minds and now back it. Most of these—61 percent—were either Democrats or Democrat-leaning independents, though 32 percent were either Republicans or Republican-leaning independents."

https://www.newsweek.com/most-americ...orters-1466253

Initial survey was from early Sept, before the partial transcript of Trump's call with Ukrainian President Zelensky was revealed.

9% switched from opposing the investigation to supporting it, and a third of those were Republicans or those that lean that way.

Be interesting to see what the polls are after a week or two of this Syria situation.

Old 10-19-2019, 04:59 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,118,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
As more evidence of Trump's crimes and abuse of power comes to light, the American people are now looking more favorably in impeachment.

Only a matte rod time before even (the sane) Republicans jump on board.

Never have we had a president who was so brazen in trambling on the rule of law.

Trump crossed the line.

The tide is thankfully turning.

This rogue President needs to be removed.

https://theweek.com/5things/868190/n...ent-increasing

https://www.msnbc.com/all-in/watch/s...ll-70042181649
Saw this yesterday

Support for Impeachment Surging-user1267280_pic153911_1571401555.jpg

Old 10-19-2019, 05:05 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,219,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
v

The worst thing for Republicans would be for this to drag on through next spring.

Trump acting increasingly bizarre.

Mattis mocking Trump with zingers.

One staff member after another resigning.

Mulvaney, Giuliani ... blurting out the truth.

Committee hearings with witnesses handing out written statements.

GOP candidates couldn't step out in public without being quizzed about what's what.

How does anyone campaign like that?

You can bet Moscow Mitch wants this over. Since it appears that Pelosi knows what she is doing and is unlikely to be hurried along, then he may try to convince Trump it would be in his best interest to negotiate an exit deal.

We'll see, but I can't see this ending in impeachment votes, not after this week.
Yeah, who needs whistle blowers when you've got guilt blurters like Giuliani and Mulvaney?

Old 10-19-2019, 05:07 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Yeah prob not gonna happen. The next four years are going to be really rough for some people if it doesn't

And I think Trump is terrible on most things, except for trolling the left.
Trump has never been the root problem in my view. Attitudes like the bolded are. There are actually people among us who are so bitter as to want the president of the United States to troll the much hated "left". It is scary.

Old 10-19-2019, 07:21 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,007,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
So, if only 51 show up and 47 of them are Democrats, the Democrats could clearly cast 2/3rds of the votes. Correct?

Could the Senate decide on a secret vote on this ?

Correct as to the first question, if that very unlikely scenario occurred.

The Senate (and the House) can, in theory, vote, via a simple majority, to have a particular impending vote 'secret'. It is highly unusual, but not unknown.

The only example I can think of is for a 'private bill' (also known as a 'slip bill') concerning the Kennedy trust fund. Some years ago (I am going only by memory), a private bill to allow the Kennedy trusts funds to violate the law of perpetuity was passed via a secret vote (generally, a trust fund has a limited life; I think for the life (or lives) of the beneficiaries, plus 20 years; the Kennedy trust has gone much longer than that, due to this private bill).

From a quick Google, I see that the Kennedy fortune, held in numerous trusts, is one billion. We will have rich Kennedy's for hundreds of years, seemingly.

Old 10-19-2019, 07:36 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,667,163 times
I will wait til this informal nonsense inquiries are over and a formal vote is taken to investigate and impeach Trump in the House. It is unlikely to occur, seeing how Pelsosi is against it but it it occurs the House has the votes to impeach him.

The real problem is the Senate which ius controlled by republicans. So there will be no secret vote held as the American public will roast both parties if it occurs. Even the looniest democrat will admit that there is not 67 votes needed to convict Trump, like it was the case for Bill Clinton. So Trump will remain President. Whether it will help him or harm him in the Nov 2020 election will depend on whether the GOP voters are more mad or the Democrats are more upset that they could not get him out and how many on both sides will show up to vote in the critical swing states.

Personally I think the best option is for Trump to finish his term and let the voters decide in Nov 2020. Democrats need to put up a good candidate that appeals to independent middle of the road voters in order to retake the WH.

Old 10-19-2019, 07:47 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,096,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Trump has never been the root problem in my view. Attitudes like the bolded are. There are actually people among us who are so bitter as to want the president of the United States to troll the much hated "left". It is scary.
I'll tell you what's scary.

Trying to remove a duly elected president with a fake Russian collusion conspiracy theory.

Trying to impeach a president over a false claim from a partisan "whistle blower" that was coordinating with the democrats in congress.

Old 10-21-2019, 08:54 AM

5,734 posts, read 3,252,087 times
the interesting thing is past presidents have done the same thing and nothing was done.
It seems the left still thinks obama's foreign policy is still in affect.
Even if Trump threatened to withhold aid to Ukraine, so what? they are not entitled to our money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
I'll tell you what's scary.

Trying to remove a duly elected president with a fake Russian collusion conspiracy theory.

Trying to impeach a president over a false claim from a partisan "whistle blower" that was coordinating with the democrats in congress.

Old 10-21-2019, 09:55 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,926,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Don't forget that at one time, a mere 160 years ago there were divisions between us bitter enough to lead to the deaths of 620,000 people. Plenty of people that continue that division today, it has not gone away. They would like nothing more than to tear this country apart. In their mind that is "winning".

Last edited by GearHeadDave; 10-21-2019 at 10:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies