Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 06:18 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Agreed. My first choice would be to abolish "hate crime" laws, because as you say, a crime is a crime. But if we're going to have them, they need to be applied equally.
as it now stands, stealing something- or even attempting to do so - is generally accepted as an excuse to not treat a crime as a hate crime when it otherwise would be. that seems to be what the aim is with this proposal.

it’s ridiculous that the addition of theft, attempted or actual, should be an acceptable reason for reducing charges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2019, 06:19 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Won't go anywhere. One, because Cox is a Republican and two because of disparate impact.
Every time I hear the phrase "disparate impact" I want to hurl. It perfectly encapsulates the liberal world view that outcomes must be equal, or else racism. And it completely negates what those of us who live in the real world know: that any given group of people don't always do things (either good or bad) in proportion to their share of the general population.

Old 09-27-2019, 06:21 PM

45,382 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Every time I hear the phrase "disparate impact" I want to hurl. It perfectly encapsulates the liberal world view that outcomes must be equal, or else racism. And it completely negates what those of us who live in the real world know: that any given group of people don't always do things (either good or bad) in proportion to their share of the general population.
That may well be true but as you live in Maryland you know that disparate impact is a lens through which legislation is viewed in the State now.

Old 09-27-2019, 06:36 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,303,952 times
Quote:
Repeat offenders are just that, repeat offenders. Most people who are violent, remain violent. Our judges and DA's need to get these animals away from the public, using our prison system or execution. Many people say execution is not a deterrent, but it sure is for the one that's exterminated. It's hard to hurt someone from a crypt.

Old 09-27-2019, 07:04 PM

1,086 posts, read 442,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
True. Good thing that this story is getting any news coverage!
I would never have seen this story if not for this Web site. CNN would have this on all the time, maybe a documentary, or a town hall if races were reversed.

Old 09-27-2019, 09:13 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,372,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
And you had been on such a good roll lately Team Red.

*sigh*

Once again we see Team Red's true colors here. A crime is a crime under natural law. There is no such thing as a "hate crime".

But Team Red has to show its Marxist feathers to the rest of the world with this virtue signalling. That's what they do when the going gets tough. They out-Marxist the OG Marxists (Team Blue) who invented this nonsensical "hate crime" rubbish.
They committed murder. Why are they charged with mere assault?

Old 09-28-2019, 02:51 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,990,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackF View Post
Absolute savages

From @ mrandyngo
Maryland: A 59-year-old man declined to give youths money at the county fair. They then surrounded him & one sucker punched him, killing him. They laughed. They’re black, he’s white. Now a state delegate is proposing changes to Maryland’s hate crime law.

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...mpression=true
A republican getting pulled into the whole "we need hate crime laws!" nonsense. That used to be the realm of the left, until they started to squirm when "hate crimes" ended up being charged against favored demographics of the left.

This case in Maryland involved the punks spitting on the knocked out guy afterwards. That is already a crime, a level of assault. No hate crime add ons needed.

Old 09-28-2019, 06:56 AM

20,330 posts, read 19,925,039 times
First I've heard of this story.

I don't believe in "hate crime" laws.

Murder is murder, assault is assault, each with varying degrees per the law.

Old 09-28-2019, 07:03 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,225,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
And you had been on such a good roll lately Team Red.

*sigh*

Once again we see Team Red's true colors here. A crime is a crime under natural law. There is no such thing as a "hate crime".

But Team Red has to show its Marxist feathers to the rest of the world with this virtue signalling. That's what they do when the going gets tough. They out-Marxist the OG Marxists (Team Blue) who invented this nonsensical "hate crime" rubbish.
No such thing as a "hate crime?" Tell that to your liberal Leftist friends. They're the ones that created it and constantly referring to it.

Old 09-28-2019, 07:15 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,503,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Get rid of hate crime laws. Of course we know that wont happen. We do know that these savages will be walking the streets and fairgrounds in 2 and 3 years. Or less.
I think these two scum should be put to death. But Maryland is a very liberal state, and I'm guessing they don't have the death penalty. (Unless you're a fetus preparing to descend the birth canal the following week....then it's death by dismemberment.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies