Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2019, 08:09 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
All the AGW hoopla is about a change in CO2 from 280 ppm to 420 ppm.

Libs will tell you that not only has their life changed, but all of humanity is in danger from this change in atmospheric CO2.

Just how has your life changed in the last 40 years due this "terrible" CO2? Are you impoverished? Unable to find food or water? Roaming the deserts in a "Mad Max" world of anarchy and men in mohawks and loincloths attempting to steal your gasoline?

Greta Thunberg tells us her "dreams have been stolen". What dreams? How specifically has the world changed (not what you think MIGHT HAPPEN) due to CO2?

Do you understand that all the carbon atoms in YOU ultimately came from CO2, that gas you hate? CO2 is as vital to life as oxygen and water, without which there could not be life on our planet. So how has this building block of life adversely affected YOU?

Do you understand as well that CO2 levels BELOW 200 ppm COULD threaten life on the planet? We have much more to fear from a LACK of CO2, not an increase.
Unable to process the idea that people can actually care about something that doesn't influence them, personally? You certainly are a conservative.

Old 09-28-2019, 08:18 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
The incidence of violent storms and hurricanes have gone DOWN, not up. Facts are funny details that get in the way of our beliefs and opinions.
Not true. My state has never seen the volume of rain and high winds we have had the past few years. It's pretty scary when you're not used to it. Facts come from the people who live there.

Old 09-28-2019, 09:15 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,859,178 times
Quote:
All the AGW hoopla is about a change in CO2 from 280 ppm to 420 ppm.

Libs will tell you that not only has their life changed, but all of humanity is in danger from this change in atmospheric CO2.

Just how has your life changed in the last 40 years due this "terrible" CO2? Are you impoverished? Unable to find food or water? Roaming the deserts in a "Mad Max" world of anarchy and men in mohawks and loincloths attempting to steal your gasoline?

Greta Thunberg tells us her "dreams have been stolen". What dreams? How specifically has the world changed (not what you think MIGHT HAPPEN) due to CO2?

Do you understand that all the carbon atoms in YOU ultimately came from CO2, that gas you hate? CO2 is as vital to life as oxygen and water, without which there could not be life on our planet. So how has this building block of life adversely affected YOU?

Do you understand as well that CO2 levels BELOW 200 ppm COULD threaten life on the planet? We have much more to fear from a LACK of CO2, not an increase.
Here are some ways climate change is affecting the lives of all people, regardless of political affiliation where I live, in North America, an hour from the US border:

1. The Asian Ash Borer. Yet another invasive species that was not able to survive Southern Ontario winters until the last 10-15 years. Since then, pretty much every ash in the Toronto area and beyond has been ravaged - millions of trees, many of them in the cities and suburbs of Toronto, where they were old, tall and shaded homes and yards, requiring less AC use. The Asian Ash borer has been a problem for America's favourite game too, since the best wooden baseball bats are made of Ashwood.
We also had the Asian Longhorn Beetle turn up in the early 2000's, also adapted to survive in the warming Southern Ontario climate. Thankfully, they were contained rapidly and the spread was stopped, or they could have taken down half the hardwoods in Toronto and the GTA and destroyed its massive, priceless tree canopy. The GTA still has a considerable amount of urban forest and wilderness areas, with large ravines and river valleys slicing the city all over. Trees were planted on all downtown streets as the city was built, which means that the areas closest to downtown have large, 100+ year-old hardwoods - maples and oaks mainly - that are extremely vulnerable to foreign pests that can now survive in the northern climate. The suburbs, exurbs, and other cities in the area (ie, Hamilton, St. Catherine's, Burlington) also have large tree canopies and wilderness areas that could be threatened by invasive species better equipped to adapt in a warming climate. This includes invasive flora too, like Kudzu, which is creeping its way north as the climate warms.

2. Extreme weather: Growing up, the Toronto area had a pretty four-season pattern, snow and cold began in late-November and went on into April. There were periodic arctic blasts of air that created long cold snaps. Summers were warm with a few hot days and occasional heat waves.
In the winters, one could count on frequent heavy snow. In the summer, one could count on regular evening thunderstorms after a humid day. Fall and Spring were brisk and wet.
Now, no one knows what the hell weather we might get in a given season. We may have record-breaking cold, like the Polar Vortex of 2014, when the Great Lakes completely frozen, or we may have record breaking warmth, like the winter of 2017, when only a few days dipped below zero the whole season and rain was far more common than snow. Sometimes we have warm weather starting in March and April and sometimes the cold goes into May. And then there is no transition. It becomes hot and humid from one day to the next, with weeks of temperatures over 90*F and no rain. The AC now runs 24/7 for practically four months of the year, which isn't cheap. All one really knows anymore is that summer months are going to be hot and humid. One never knows if winter will be legit or not, and these warmer winters are what are allowing invasive species to infiltrate and native species. For example, Deer Ticks have multiplied by the billions because there is no major die-off from cold winters.

3. Climate change has also affected the fauna in my area, particlarly the avian variety. We just learned from a recent multi-decade survey that North America's birds have decreased by 30% in a century. That is apparent in the GTA where birds that used to be extremely common are rarely seen. Monarch and other species of butterflies have also been much rarer too because their migrations have been disrupted. Over-winter grounds like the cloud forests of Michoacán have been destroyed by illegal logging, which is a major contributor to climate change. The monarchs have lost a refuge they have used for tens of thousands of years. But I guess that's no big deal. Nor is the decline in songbirds and raptors. And I suppose climate change has nothing to do with that massive decrease in insect biomass that was reported about a year ago. That has affected the bat population. I used to sit at night on a front porch or stoop, depending on where I was living, and watch the bats dive bomb the streetlights, where thousands of insects buzzed. I don't see those swarms of flying insects anymore and I don't see the bats at night. Many of the birds that are disappearing around these parts are insect eaters.

I could write many more detailed points on real, factual changes in the local climate and ecosystem in the last 20 years. Many of these events have been linked to climate change or the contributors to climate change, ie heavy industry, industrial and agricultural pollution, pesticides, pollution from automobiles, aircraft, and shipping, household emissions and pollution, and so on. These things are completely screwing our world but there are noisy nihilists out there who think their money and privilege can protect them from what is happening. There are also a lot of people who are battling for survival everyday anyways, from things much more tangible than climate change - poverty, violence, suicide, overdose, disease - so they can't be thinking too much about melting glaciers when they are just trying to put food in their bellies.

It's the nihilists who make me sick. The ones who don't want to believe climate change is real because it might cost them money or force them to make sacrifices. For them, that ish is for suckers. Those who are truly free do whatever the hell they want and search for justifications after-the-fact. If it is real, their money will save them and its more of a Gen Z problem anyways, so screw it.

That kind of attitude borders of sociopathic and people who hold such beliefs are troglodytes. One often finds these same people are opposed to taxes of any kind, feel that government is an overwhelmingly negative force, believe an unfettered economy is the most righteous institution humans have created to govern their lives, think that public education is a waste of money, and certainly don't want to contribute to universal healthcare. They often call social spending of any kind "entitlements," and now Communism even though the same "Communism" is effective government policy in many democratic nations. Some of these nihilists openly mock people who are trying to make the world a better place for everyone, including a 16-year-old activist who has had more influence in four years of her short life than they will ever have no matter how long they live. They mocked her on this board and thought it was hilarious.

Make no mistake...Whether or not the OP wants to admit it, climate change affects us all, regardless of the political party we identify with. However, some of us can afford to ignore it. If you are lucky enough to live in a temperate zone, away from the coast, or simply have a lot of money, climate change probably isn't going to affect you terribly. But if you are poor, live in equatorial areas, island chains in the oceans, or on the coast, or were born in the last 10-19 years, then climate change isn't something you be sarcastic about on web forums.

It's real, the effects on the world around us are becoming tangible and observable, and it's only going to get worse. So...go ahead and feast while Rome burns...there's no law against it, just as there is no law against believing in climate change science and caring about the health of the planet and its ecosystems. After all, it's the only one we've got.

Old 09-28-2019, 09:29 PM

4,903 posts, read 3,361,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post

3. Climate change has also affected the fauna in my area, particlarly the avian variety. We just learned from a recent multi-decade survey that North America's birds have decreased by 30% in a century. That is apparent in the GTA where birds that used to be extremely common are rarely seen. Monarch and other species of butterflies have also been much rarer too because their migrations have been disrupted. Over-winter grounds like the cloud forests of Michoacán have been destroyed by illegal logging, which is a major contributor to climate change. The monarchs have lost a refuge they have used for tens of thousands of years. But I guess that's no big deal. Nor is the decline in songbirds and raptors. And I suppose climate change has nothing to do with that massive decrease in insect biomass that was reported about a year ago. That has affected the bat population. I used to sit at night on a front porch or stoop, depending on where I was living, and watch the bats dive bomb the streetlights, where thousands of insects buzzed. I don't see those swarms of flying insects anymore and I don't see the bats at night. Many of the birds that are disappearing around these parts are insect eaters.

Decline in insect (and by extension birds) populations is likely more due to overuse of pesticides and insecticides on crops. Which is unfortunately needed to feed the huge and growing number both of humans and livestock.

Old 09-28-2019, 09:31 PM

4,903 posts, read 3,361,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
He's right, many of these refugees are farmers and cannot farm because of severe drought. This will continue to worsen in the coming years, and migration as a result of climate change will only increase.
Are these droughts really because of climate change?

From my understanding in California at least, the drought is largely due to the intense demands of animal agriculture.

Old 09-28-2019, 10:18 PM

3,321 posts, read 1,100,375 times
Quote:
I have an MD and took graduate level physics, mathematics, and statistics. In addition, I have formal training in the MD/PhD program in bench science.

A high school sophomore cannot have possibly taken the advanced calculus, physics, and statistics necessary to understand rational science. This could be possible in the unusual case of a child genius who has already gained their PhD, but certainly not in a child with autism and obsessive compulsive disorder.

Give me a break- you actually believe that a mentally handicapped teenager has taken graduate level college courses and has advanced degrees? I know liberals are delusional, but that contention is even far fetched for a liberal.
Yea, let’s see those degrees....otherwise I don’t believe it.

For starters, you wouldn’t be calling autism a “mental handicap”.

And yes, she easily could understand whatever you’re calling “rational science”.

How much do you get paid per climate change thread?

Old 09-28-2019, 10:21 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,495,432 times
And yet another dumb ignorant thread on global warming.

Old 09-28-2019, 10:21 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,185,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru5555 View Post
Yea, let’s see those degrees....otherwise I don’t believe it.

For starters, you wouldn’t be calling autism a “mental handicap”.

And yes, she easily could understand whatever you’re calling “rational science”.

How much do you get paid per climate change thread?
I agree. I do not believe anything this commentator expresses. He told me he was a scientist at one point. I think we are dealing with the delusional. No need to take them seriously.

Old 09-28-2019, 10:45 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
I agree. I do not believe anything this commentator expresses. He told me he was a scientist at one point. I think we are dealing with the delusional. No need to take them seriously.
I'm in agreement as well.

Old 09-28-2019, 10:51 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 1 day ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,599,675 times
Concentrating on how it affects ME is beside the point. The point is how it affects the whole world.

Unfortunately, for some people, even if all the USA kept its historical record weather while the rest of the world is begging for 100F dawns, I'd still give a damn. The world is far bigger than my own local area.

In reality, I noticed higher temperatures over more of the year here in Dallas than over the 2000s. Plus there's drier summers than there used to be (though thankfully nothing like 10 or so years ago). It's also meant longer time for mosquitoes to be outdoors (West Nile, among other things). As close as Dallas is to the tropics, I wouldn't be surprised if Dengue Fever made it up to here by 2050 at the rate things are going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies