Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2019, 12:13 AM

14,776 posts, read 8,109,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Liberals shut it down. Mental patients don’t vote so they prefer to give money away to those who keep them in office.

You love to lay everything at the feet of the Liberals and blame them for everything.
Yet it was the Conservatives and Reagan that did this.
Thinking that things are so simple, my side is wears white, is all good, does no wrong...your side wears all black hats,
does evil bad things. That is just not factual.
Thinking like this is what tears our Country apart.
It is anything but Patriotic.

Last edited by Crazee Cat Lady; 09-30-2019 at 12:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2019, 02:35 AM

2,919 posts, read 3,187,379 times
Liberal cities are too expensive and do not have enough affordable housing. The cost of living keeps sky rocketing as liberal elitists keep earning more and more. Builders keep building condos and homes to meet their demand, at the exorbitant prices only they can afford. Where ever liberals flock to...the same pattern follows all over the USA. As most of the USA will eventually be more and more unaffordable to the lower income, and middle class. More and more homeless will result, as liberals continue to place money over humanitarianism. Liberals also always fight against the creation of homeless shelters in their communities. As is seen here in Seattle. Oddly though...they do put illegal aliens first. And for some odd reason they would rather see illegals housed and taken care of, before homeless and needy citizens. Liberals have no heart for Americas needy. This is very evident. But on another note...I don't agree with what Reagan did. Asylums are needed more then ever. Many homeless are mentally ill...and mainly severely. I see them all the time in Seattle. They should not be left on the streets to die. This is immoral, anti Christian, and downright despicable.

Old 09-30-2019, 05:39 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Since the 1960s, according to the Treatment Advocacy Center, more than 90% of mental patients have been discharged from state care to live in ordinary society. In 1955, there were nearly 600,000 mentally ill patients in state psychiatric hospitals. Fifty-five years on, only 43,000 state psychiatric beds remain available for use.

Today’s mentally ill have all but returned to the preinstitutional conditions of the 1850s and before: When not sleeping on the streets, many are again consigned to drift among a custodial system of prisons, welfare hotels and outpatient facilities.

In 1880, the severely mentally ill made up less than 1% of the U.S. prison population. A hundred years later, the percentage was 10 times greater.

The Los Angeles County Jail has become the largest de facto psychiatric inpatient facility in the U.S.; New York City’s Rikers Island is second.
https://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/...icle-1.1225716

Old 09-30-2019, 05:43 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
Ronald Reagan's OBRA Act "gave mental patients a choice to seek treatment outside of a mental institution, an option to seek treatment at clinics at the state level, and the freedom to administer their own medication." And Reagan's OBRA Act ended the federal government’s role in providing services to the mentally ill.

And the real motive with Reagan's OBRA Act was to cut the federal budget.
https://sites.psu.edu/psy533wheeler/...omment-page-1/

Budget cuts were needed after Reagan gave huge tax cuts to the wealthy and large corporations. These tax cuts caused federal budget deficits to increase and raised "the national debt from $997 billion to $2.85 trillion" (and Reagan cutting funding for the mentally ill made the budget deficits smaller.)
https://www.insidesources.com/reagan...ilure-workers/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reaganomics#Policies
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reagan...t_expenditures

And Donald Trump is doing the same thing in regards to the mentally ill that Reagan did.

The Trump tax cuts gave the richest 1% of Americans over $1 trillion dollars in tax cuts, and budget cuts are needed to reduce the deficits. In total Trump's tax cuts will add $2.2 trillion to our deficits and national debt.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/janetno.../#549a027665b9
https://time.com/4993389/tax-cuts-your-children/

Medicaid is the "largest payer of behavioral health services." And Trump wants to cut "almost $1.5 trillion from projected Medicaid spending."
https://cheac.org/2019/03/15/trump-a...gram-spending/
https://www.newsweek.com/trump-has-t...etoric-1452907

"President Trump's proposed FY 2020 budget, released March 11, reveals critical shortages in mental health supports — most notably, major cutbacks in spending for Medicaid and Medicare and steep reductions in mental health research."
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...1002/mhw.31819

"So why did we close the Insane Asylums and flood the streets of society with them?"

Because of republican supply side/trickle down economics (tax cuts for the wealthy and large corporations.) These tax cuts increase deficits and debt growth, and mental health services are one of the first government programs to be cut to offset the deficits.
Tax cuts for the rich blah blah.........

Old 09-30-2019, 05:53 AM

1,273 posts, read 1,639,778 times
I began my work in the field when they were being shut down in my state. I worked with medically indigent population for 30 years. Subsequent local based treatment facilities I worked at were always begging for pennies to stay open. Democrat in office we breathed easier but were never safe. ...Republicans..get ready for programs to cut staff ( becoming ineffective) or shutdown. As the mentally ill became expendable under both parties things got worse. Whole families ill...while families turning to drugs to self medicate. Daily treatment for medically indigent to stabilize treatment of mental illness was a joke. I’ve worked all over the country. Over the course of my career Seattle by far was the best for providing treatment...that was 12 years ago though. I left the field 7 years ago because I was spent...emotionally and physically. And overall the chronically mentally were the most compliant of my clients.

Old 09-30-2019, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Since the 1960s, according to the Treatment Advocacy Center, more than 90% of mental patients have been discharged from state care to live in ordinary society. In 1955, there were nearly 600,000 mentally ill patients in state psychiatric hospitals. Fifty-five years on, only 43,000 state psychiatric beds remain available for use.

Today’s mentally ill have all but returned to the preinstitutional conditions of the 1850s and before: When not sleeping on the streets, many are again consigned to drift among a custodial system of prisons, welfare hotels and outpatient facilities.

In 1880, the severely mentally ill made up less than 1% of the U.S. prison population. A hundred years later, the percentage was 10 times greater.

The Los Angeles County Jail has become the largest de facto psychiatric inpatient facility in the U.S.; New York City’s Rikers Island is second.
https://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/...icle-1.1225716
You read an article and deem yourself an expert. Overall most could be easily cared for on an outpatient basis with proper services...including occasional hospitalization when the symptoms become problematic. ( just like any other serious chronic illness). Go sit down with a group...volunteer...your might actually learn something.

Old 09-30-2019, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinsey86 View Post
You read an article and deem yourself an expert. Overall most could be easily cared for on an outpatient basis with proper services...including occasional hospitalization when the symptoms become problematic. ( just like any other serious chronic illness). Go sit down with a group...volunteer...your might actually learn something.
It does not take an expert to research history.
Predator v. prey

Old 09-30-2019, 06:06 AM

One article... two, three.. yea right.
You are talking from a fear perspective and find an article to meet that perspective. Go learn firsthand if you want real knowledge.

Old 09-30-2019, 06:07 AM

And to be fair most that only read news highlights ( on both sides) think this way. Not in my back yard can be heard in all political leanings.

Old 09-30-2019, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinsey86 View Post
One article... two, three.. yea right.
You are talking from a fear perspective and find an article to meet that perspective. Go learn firsthand if you want real knowledge.
You mean according to the Treatment Advocacy Center, not me personally, right?
Truth can be scary. Freedom & Liberty are really scary, when you want to be someone else's property, to take care of you.
Why you so defensive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies