Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2019, 02:13 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,274,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Beliefs aren't "binary". One could be a little bit atheist and a little bit Catholic. A little bit environmentalist and still drive a gas-guzzler and eat meat. A little bit fond of one's neighborhood and still clamoring to move. A little bit proud of one's university and still regretting that it's not an Ivy-League school.
Some beliefs are binary.

You cannot be a little atheist and a little theist without self delusion, since you either believe in a deity (or deities) or you disbelieve.

An environmentalist who drives a gas guzzler is self deluded too. You cannot claim to be an environmentalist, while enacting destruction of the environment.

Some are not, you can like your neighborhood well enough, but prefer another. You can have pride in your college, but know its little league.

However if you believe in the legitimacy of the government, and that its rule is non-consensual. Or it cannot be legitimate unless you have explicitly consented (and no one has).

Old 09-30-2019, 02:39 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
Libertarians aren't as hypocritical as the Republican Party. They don't want gov't involvement for the most part and say that. Republicans want it when it suits them, like the Great Bailout when the 08 Recession hit, they had no problem w/ that.
True. Like Rand Paul very accurately stated "when Republicans are in control, there is no conservative party in US".

I think Noam Chomsky is an example of leftist libertarian in US. In Europe they are more common, while I suppose in US most of them are centrists, or ex-republicans.

Old 09-30-2019, 02:46 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,793,472 times
Libertarians are VERY conservative. Half don’t even believe in federal government at all, and that any taxation is theft. That’s why every libertarian who runs for president runs as a Republican ie. Goldwater, early Reagan, Ron Paul...

Old 09-30-2019, 02:53 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
Libertarians are VERY conservative.
Not necessarily. Thing are easy to google, but it seems people can't be bothered.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libert...inent_currents

Left-libertarianism - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left-libertarianism
Right-libertarianism - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-libertarianism
Libertarian paternalism - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libertarian_paternalism

Old 09-30-2019, 03:10 PM

16,082 posts, read 10,744,030 times
Anyone who does not fully support Trumpism is a Leftist. I thought everyone knew that.

Old 09-30-2019, 03:38 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,793,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Anyone who does not fully support Trumpism is a Leftist. I thought everyone knew that.
The most libertarian wing of congress is easily the freedom caucus. They also happen to be the most pro-trump. Trump won largely on an anti-government platform. Libertarians are anti-government extremists. Trump is in a sense a libertarian.

Old 09-30-2019, 04:18 PM

13,654 posts, read 9,711,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
The most libertarian wing of congress is easily the freedom caucus. They also happen to be the most pro-trump. Trump won largely on an anti-government platform. Libertarians are anti-government extremists. Trump is in a sense a libertarian.
It's only anti-government in the sense of blocking and stymieing persons who happened to be recently in government, or the policies advanced by those persons.

To erect tariffs is hardly "anti-government". It increases government power, in the form of a hamfisted attempt at taxation.

To militarize national borders is hardly "anti-government". It involves, at a minimum, more government personnel, more government facilities (such as detention centers) and larger government budgets.

Speaking of budgets, I don't see federal budgets under Trump declining. How is budgetary-growth "anti-government"?

And what about government directly interfering in corporate decisions for where to invest, where to build factories, whether to employ more people or fewer? How is such intrusion "anti-government"?

There is another sense in which Trump is vehemently anti-government: he gives short shrift to any international collaboration, especially through international treaties or institutions. The "anti-government" philosophy here, is that the interactions between nation-states are fundamentally situational, quid-pro-quo and based on the personalities of the national leaders who then happen to be in power.

A true anti-government platform would mean freer trade, less militarization or police, and less meddling in corporate decisions. That is not the governing philosophy that we currently have.

Old 09-30-2019, 04:34 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,437,203 times
For the record: libertarian= Private property rights, self ownership, non-aggression (not pacifism). That is all.

Old 09-30-2019, 04:39 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,162,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njforlife92 View Post
You are confusing the Libertarian Party with the Libertarian philosophy. Not all Libertarians belong to the Libertarian Party, in fact I think it's safe to say most don't.
That's also a good point. I am Libertarian who votes Republican and the main reason is I'm fiscally conservative. I enjoy many Liberal talk paths, but I don't want to pay for them, nor do I want the US to borrow money to fund these ambitions. Simple as that.

I also know there are MANY that share my same view points and yes we frustrate the hell out of liberals because at the end of the day, we typically vote conservative.

It's all about the Benjamins....

Old 09-30-2019, 04:46 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
For the record: libertarian= Private property rights, self ownership, non-aggression (not pacifism). That is all.
And so, in the millions of complex interactions which are part of the world, we just put on a T-shirt with those and we are Golden. That and a bong obtain free admission!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies