Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2019, 11:46 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,509,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
McConnell is on record (March 2019) saying the Senate must hold trial if the house impeaches.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...ach/ar-AAI1Bfs

...he said in a March interview that if impeachment were to happen, “the Senate has no choice. If the House were to act, the Senate immediately goes into a trial.”
Yes, he did say that. That said, the Republicans will never vote to impeach. As Flake (was it Flake??) put it - if the vote were held in secret - there would be 35 Republican votes. They REALLY do not love the man at all.
However, it is a public vote so their spines will automatically disappear.

Trump won't be convicted in the Senate. Neither was Clinton. Both were/will be along party lines.

Old 09-30-2019, 11:48 AM

33,547 posts, read 18,140,185 times
It is a smear campaign . they needed a new talkng point to smear Trump because they themselves are corrupt.

Old 09-30-2019, 12:19 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,344,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
Repped for very thorough knowledge, though I don't think it is going to happen.

I think they would pick up Romney, Murkowski, and maybe Collins.

It won't happen because they would need overwhelming evidence to make the majority of Republicans fear for their spots, and they just don't have it.

A) The transcript has been released and shows no quid pro quo
B) The Ukrianian President is on record saying that there was not coercion.
C) The Trump team has a well developed counter narrative, with Guiliani claiming to have a statement from the prosecutor saying that he WAS fired for investigating Hunter Biden.
D) It looks too much like Russia, and Trump's people (of which I am marginally one) will not believe it even if it were true.

And your evidence supporting that statement would be WHAT?

Old 09-30-2019, 12:21 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,344,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
It is a smear campaign . they needed a new talkng point to smear Trump because they themselves are corrupt.

Nah, Trump does a very credible job of smearing himself with both his actions and his BS allegations like his removal possibly resulting in civil war. Block parties would be a more likely result.

Old 09-30-2019, 12:24 PM

5,067 posts, read 1,664,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
#2 What kind of lawmaker announces his decision before hearing the evidence?

Democrats are very common to prejudge the outcome of an investigation before the investigation has taken place recent history shows.

Old 09-30-2019, 12:53 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,519,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
My prediction is close to the opposite what you have.

I don't see it happening. Not enough Republicans are going to go with it but some will cross over and vote yes. Hopefully at least some of the no voters will lose their jobs when they are up for re-election.
My view is that not one single Pub senator would dare cross tRump.

He has the GOP totally under his thumb.

And Pubs will pay the price for knuckling under.

Old 09-30-2019, 01:07 PM

15,816 posts, read 6,523,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee View Post
Do carry on but just remember, when President Warren solicits China to dig up dirt on her main GOP opponent to help her win the 2024 election, you can't complain.
I suspect Trump thought he could get away with breaking the law this time because the Ukraine isn't a national rival. Just imaging if this deal had been with Putin instead. Yikes.

Old 09-30-2019, 03:53 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,708,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
McConnell is on record (March 2019) saying the Senate must hold trial if the house impeaches.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...ach/ar-AAI1Bfs

...he said in a March interview that if impeachment were to happen, “the Senate has no choice. If the House were to act, the Senate immediately goes into a trial.”
I don't put much stock in what McConnell says. And even if I did, what he said today - "There is no way we could somehow bar the doors and prevent the managers from presenting the articles to the Senate" - doesn't commit him to actually holding a trial.

As far as whether he could pull this off, look no further than the Merrick Garland case.

Old 09-30-2019, 05:18 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,186,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Im so confused as to the ability to play coy in this forum.

You can have an opinion based on the facts that already exist, you people clearly understand that since no one on this forum can claim to be as blind as Lady Justice
It's not coy, they are working off, what, 2nd or 3rd hand info...THEIR INTERPRETATION OF THAT INFO...that legit people have been disputing. But no, they are sure they are right. HOW? If there was something indisputable we'd all know about it. I'll tell you how though...the Impeachment came before the 'crime', that's something that nobody who's been conscious the last 3 years can dispute. "show me the man and I'll show you the crime" isn't just a cute saying, it's a dangerous truth, and the Dems have been hunting for crimes since before he set foot in the WH. Creating them in many cases.

Old 09-30-2019, 05:29 PM

11,336 posts, read 16,689,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
My prediction is close to the opposite what you have.

I don't see it happening. Not enough Republicans are going to go with it but some will cross over and vote yes. Hopefully at least some of the no voters will lose their jobs when they are up for re-election.
Hopefully at least some of the yes voters will lose their jobs when they are up for re-election.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.