Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In USA elections, is it legal or illegal to ask for assistance from a foreign entity?
With regard to election law in the USA asking for assistance from a foreign entity is generally legal. 7 9.86%
With regard to election law in the USA asking for assistance from a foreign entity is always illegal. 64 90.14%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2019, 09:18 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,406,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Did you read the transcript yourself or are you totally dependent on others to describe the world to you?

You probably shouldn't be voting btw
If someone dependent on others describing the world to them shouldn’t vote, then that would include most of fat donald’s base.

Lately they only seem to accept something as a fact if it has come out of his big mouth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2019, 09:25 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,650,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Hopefully you weren't listening to that Trump buddy who is a lawyer (who pays himself millions out of his charity) and has a talk show.

Suckalow or something like that. But it's telling if even he, a compromised evangelical, would state the obvious.

The old Tip of the Iceberg theory is at play here also. It would seem to me that you - or more other folks - would see the ease with which Trump did stuff like this and know that - whatever is found - the reality is many times that.

When I got punished and told Dad "but I didn't do that thing" he said "well, then, this if for all the times you haven't been caught!".....

Of course, he was 100% correct. No criminal or lawbreaker gets caught the first and only time.
No, I would never listen to rubbish like that and I never heard of him anyway. This radio host is more or less local and it's just that he's on in prime time. I don't particularly like him because he is so conservative, used to holler about "Pocahontas" (Warren) --he's that sort of person.

I have become so immune to what Trump does that I don't wake up anymore and think, "What has he done this time!" --but this sneaky phone call trying to interfere with our elections even stood out from his usual antics. The man does not have a clue.

Old 09-30-2019, 09:25 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,057,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
In the case of Trump's call to the Pres. of Ukraine, the "quid" is a crime, no need to prove the "quo"....

Federal law prohibits a foreign national from directly or indirectly making a “contribution or donation of money or other thing of value” in connection with a U.S. election, and prohibits a person from soliciting, accepting or receiving such a contribution or donation from a foreign national. Federal law defines “contribution” to include “any gift … of money or anything of value made by any person for the purpose of influencing any election for Federal office.”

Pretty straight forward. Whether or not Ukraine came through, whether or not the communications involved a quid pro quo, the solicitation of a thing of value from the Ukraine President in connection with a U.S. election could be a federal crime. And it should be investigated as such.
So assuming there is a reason to believe someone is involved in fraud in another country does the fact that the person is running for president make it illegal for the president to ask for it to be investigated by that country.

Old 09-30-2019, 09:28 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,520,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
^
I also think this might be relevant:

I would say that a foreign national looking for dirt on a US politician who is running for election would be participating in a decision-making process in an election. That is, somebody made a decision to dig up dirt on a political opponent (in this case, Trump on Biden), and he solicited participation by a foreign national to do that work for him. Which would be illegal.
i guess that this would then be illegal as well?

'Black ledger' and naked photos: Democrats pressured foreign countries for dirt on Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
So the whole Steele dossier thing and subsequent Mueller investigation that it was based on was illegal?

Wow!
that's what they're telling us

Old 09-30-2019, 09:32 AM

18,557 posts, read 7,361,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Simple poll:
On another thread, the claim was made:
"Asking for election assistance from a foreign government is generally legal."

What do you say?
Interesting, isn't it, how misinformed people are.

Old 09-30-2019, 09:32 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,592,894 times
Quote:
Is asking for election assistance from a foreign entity legal?
What Trump did is highly illegal, and GOP would be smart to at least admit the fact, as opposed to cover it up.

As for the impeachment, it is a waste of time, since it would have to be fulfilled by the Senate, which is not going to happen.

Old 09-30-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Right. It might apply in some cases, sure, but it's not generally applicable. It's limited to acts that help the campaign financially.

Old 09-30-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
^
I also think this might be relevant:
Quote:
(i)Participation by foreign nationals in decisions involving election-related activities. A foreign national shall not direct, dictate, control, or directly or indirectly participate in the decision-making process of any person, such as a corporation, labor organization, political committee, or political organization with regard to such person's Federal or non-Federal election-related activities, such as decisions concerning the making of contributions, donations, expenditures, or disbursements in connection with elections for any Federal, State, or local office or decisions concerning the administration of a political committee.
I would say that a foreign national looking for dirt on a US politician who is running for election would be participating in a decision-making process in an election. That is, somebody made a decision to dig up dirt on a political opponent (in this case, Trump on Biden), and he solicited participation by a foreign national to do that work for him. Which would be illegal.
That says it applies to foreign nationals, not candidates.

Old 09-30-2019, 09:37 AM

20,862 posts, read 9,515,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
I see you're still buying the "Hillary ordered the Steele Dossier" propaganda.

Old 09-30-2019, 09:38 AM

20,862 posts, read 9,515,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
That says it applies to foreign nationals, not candidates.
???

The president of the Ukraine is a foreign national. That's who Trump was asking for a favor from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies