Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2019, 02:03 PM

29,818 posts, read 24,902,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
Maybe I can now go back to eBay and sell without my hi end hand made products being buried by 10000 items of junk.

The American consumer has already been bled to death, so it's a little late for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
First the tariff tax on US consumers...

Now we’ll be paying more for shipping...

On a roll of increasing our costs.

Tariffs have existed in the USA since the USA become a country. It's a little late for you to whine about them, and if they are such a problem, folks are free to leave. American consumers are the fattest on the planet. No one, anywhere, needs to shed a tear, or feel sorry for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2019, 02:03 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
So you prefer to give a foreign communist country with humanitarian issues a better deal than what actual Americans within the US can get?
You have to remember-liberals are for improving the lot of anyone on earth-EXCEPT AMERICAN citizens. When you look at their actions with that in mind, they actually make sense.

Old 09-30-2019, 02:11 PM

29,818 posts, read 24,902,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
You have to remember-liberals are for improving the lot of anyone on earth-EXCEPT AMERICAN citizens. When you look at their actions with that in mind, they actually make sense.

Lefties want China (or any communist country) to prosper, so they can show Americans that communism can work. They especially love China because they have succeeded in corning the market in so many industries, leading lefties to believe that communism deliverers better results than capitalism. Of course, those lefties would never survive in a communist country, but that's beside the point.

I'm all for fair competition, but when the USA is subsidizing China's success, at the expense of USA industry and workers, that is unacceptable.

Old 09-30-2019, 02:16 PM

18,013 posts, read 27,460,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
Maybe I can now go back to eBay and sell without my hi end hand made products being buried by 10000 items of junk.

Do you sell any audio equipment, say perhaps vintage receivers, parts and such?

I do everything in my power to not buy anything from China.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
The American consumer has already been bled to death, so it's a little late for that.

Tariffs have existed in the USA since the USA become a country. It's a little late for you to whine about them, and if they are such a problem, folks are free to leave. American consumers are the fattest on the planet. No one, anywhere, needs to shed a tear, or feel sorry for them.
Please, let me know the day the United States of America becomes a third-world country and when we start receiving financial aid from the rest of the world.

Old 09-30-2019, 02:23 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,733,126 times
I'm glad that ended. I had ordered some parts online that ended up getting sent direct to me from China and it was $2.85 for shipping. The same size package was $6 if I was shipping it within the US. What piece of excrement coined that deal to begin with?

Old 09-30-2019, 02:40 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Just in........

UPU accepts new global rates proposed by Trump administration. Inbound package deliveries to the United States will no longer be subsidized by U.S. taxpayers...

Old 09-30-2019, 02:50 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
????

How are Americans better off if Chinese sellers get a better shipping deal than American sellers can?

This liberal goes out of my way to buy American. And it's really not a great sacrifice to pay more for things that last. One of my personal mottoes is to never buy cheap ****. It wastes my money and clutters up my life.

Old 09-30-2019, 02:55 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,733,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
????

How are Americans better off if Chinese sellers get a better shipping deal than American sellers can?

This liberal goes out of my way to buy American. And it's really not a great sacrifice to pay more for things that last. One of my personal mottoes is to never buy cheap ****. It wastes my money and clutters up my life.
Toyman was being sarcastic.
+1 on buying US made. Among many things, went through three blenders before I finally found a 60's-70's era, Made-in-USA, mustard yellow GE with it's giant push buttons that just won't die.

Old 09-30-2019, 02:57 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
I'm glad that ended. I had ordered some parts online that ended up getting sent direct to me from China and it was $2.85 for shipping. The same size package was $6 if I was shipping it within the US. What piece of excrement coined that deal to begin with?
i would dearly like to know. on what level did it ever make sense to subsidize the transport of foreign goods into the US at the expense of domestic?

Old 09-30-2019, 03:30 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
i would dearly like to know. on what level did it ever make sense to subsidize the transport of foreign goods into the US at the expense of domestic?
From what I've read, the UPU has a provision that means that sellers from poor countries get preferential shipping rates. This is an economic development measure to give sellers from very poor countries access to larger markets. China may once have qualified as a very poor country, but they sure don't now.

The UPU is an international organization that was established in 1874, and is now an agency of the UN. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Postal_Union

And that's about as much as I know about it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies