Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2019, 07:25 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Amazing. For 8 years no problem with term limits.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(CNN)While on his recent book tour, Supreme Court Justice Neil Gorsuch said that the framers of our Constitution did not want "nine old people in Washington sitting in robes telling everybody else how to live." Yet that is the current reality of our Supreme Court.

These days, it's the justices, and not the people or their elected representatives, who decide who gets health care and who can vote, whom we can marry and who's allowed into the country, who's won a presidential election and who can spend money on the next one.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/30/opini...las/index.html
All politicians should have term limits.

Old 09-30-2019, 07:34 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,219,394 times
I am an RBG fan but think this is a great idea to consider. Maybe 8 years isn't the right number, but some form of term limits. Having an open term where the only removal is through impeachment really provides perverse incentives for the President to nominate the youngest people he/she can find to pass muster who supports his/her political beliefs. I am not a fan of electing judges or justices because I believe that leaves them even more open to political pressure than they are now. But term limits is a good way to decrease these negative incentives a little bit and to hopefully havre a more natural passing of the torch from more partisan administrations. 8 years seems too short given that justices need a little seating, but maybe 15 or 20 years.

Old 09-30-2019, 07:42 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,629,144 times
I agree with the term limits. Nobody should have a lifetime appointment for any job.

Old 10-01-2019, 01:01 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,401,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
I am an RBG fan but think this is a great idea to consider. Maybe 8 years isn't the right number, but some form of term limits. Having an open term where the only removal is through impeachment really provides perverse incentives for the President to nominate the youngest people he/she can find to pass muster who supports his/her political beliefs. I am not a fan of electing judges or justices because I believe that leaves them even more open to political pressure than they are now. But term limits is a good way to decrease these negative incentives a little bit and to hopefully havre a more natural passing of the torch from more partisan administrations. 8 years seems too short given that justices need a little seating, but maybe 15 or 20 years.
20 years seems sufficient enough. Also, the amount of decisions that a SCOTUS judged that violates the spirit and letter of the Constitution, from a practical standpoint, is so big that you could make into a a drinking game. Preferably, Everclear.

Old 10-01-2019, 03:01 AM

21,865 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Notable that the average life expectancy in the late 1700s was 36...
At birth. But then there weren't any infants on the Supreme Court bench so that's not particularly relevant to anything. With infant mortality probably in the 200-300 range and perhaps 40% not making it to five, that does tend to lower the life expectancy rather dramatically. Inaugural justices, Iredel croaked at 48 but then then John Jay made it to 83, Cushing 78, and Blair 68. Cushing spent 20 years in office.

But, yes, the founders didn't want nine old people in robes. They wanted six old people in robes. So it's technically a correct statement although one that would be easily misconstrued.

Old 10-01-2019, 03:34 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,991,693 times
20 years seems a good number. We dont want nominee/appointment circuses any more often than that.

For now, hopefully RBG retires soon, and we can get a contitutionally aware nominee in the SC. With that proper balance, maybe they would be willing to look at wickard vs filburn again, and overturn it.

The left side of the SC has abused the commerce clause for too many years now.

Old 10-01-2019, 08:19 AM
exm

3,722 posts, read 1,781,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post

Instead of term limits, propose an age limit like 70 or 75.

Old 10-01-2019, 08:21 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
With 8 year term limits.

I know conservatives dream of a 9-0 conservative supreme court...

What are you going to do when there is a 9-0 liberal supreme court?

This would happen when a president is re-eelected.

Old 10-01-2019, 08:24 AM

5,177 posts, read 3,091,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
I agree with the term limits. Nobody should have a lifetime appointment for any job.
Then amend the Constitution Sparky. The procedure to do so is clearly defined.

Old 10-01-2019, 08:34 AM

89,030 posts, read 44,840,107 times
I'm wondering why RBG hasn't been removed from the SCOTUS Bench since she's been falling asleep on the job for at least a decade.

https://archives.cjr.org/behind_the_..._any_sleep.php
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies