Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 01:22 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,997,862 times

Advertisements

i think it depends where you live.

Here in the southeast there is no assumption that folks are liberal. In fact the assumption is more likely to be everyone is a Republican conservative....and very religious. It's what people are familiar with. They aren't self centered. Many haven't lived in a whole bunch of different places and they just assume the world they live in is what everyone is living in.

I have an extensive group of friends online who have been connected for over 22 years. Daily postings, visits, etc. We have been struck about how different lifestyles can be.

It is rare for me to be in a group setting in the south east and to hear something that is anti-Republican, anti-conservative, anti-Trump. I don't think I have ever heard Clinton, Obama being talked about except in a negative way.

I don't get overly upset if someone assumes I agree with them. I never engage in a social setting or work setting politically so I might just deflect the comment but never get upset with it. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2019, 02:04 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,795,870 times
I play golf a couple times a week with a group of guys (10-12) who have known each other for 30-40 years......politics has ruined another group some of us used to go with (by an ardent liberal, but that doesn't mean anything)
So the rule became NO POLITICS......If someone wants to talk to another of the same persuasion we just wander over to the side and chat. The rule occasionally get breached, but is quickly brought back up.
Friendship and years of history are a little bit more important than politics, which constantly change anyhow.

I suspect that bringing up politics is pretty equally done by both sides......it's more of a personality thang...some people can't filter their brain before the thoughts hit their mouth. IMHO....

Old 10-01-2019, 02:12 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,552,925 times

Old 10-01-2019, 02:27 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,583,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
i think it depends where you live.

Here in the southeast there is no assumption that folks are liberal. In fact the assumption is more likely to be everyone is a Republican conservative....and very religious. It's what people are familiar with. They aren't self centered. Many haven't lived in a whole bunch of different places and they just assume the world they live in is what everyone is living in.

I have an extensive group of friends online who have been connected for over 22 years. Daily postings, visits, etc. We have been struck about how different lifestyles can be.

It is rare for me to be in a group setting in the south east and to hear something that is anti-Republican, anti-conservative, anti-Trump. I don't think I have ever heard Clinton, Obama being talked about except in a negative way.

I don't get overly upset if someone assumes I agree with them. I never engage in a social setting or work setting politically so I might just deflect the comment but never get upset with it. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
Anti-Republican and Anti-Trump is not Anti-Conservative given that the GOP and Trump flushed any claim of conservatism down the toilet in favor of an ugly mix of nationalism and populism.

Old 10-01-2019, 02:28 PM

27,549 posts, read 28,636,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBMorgan View Post
I refuse to golf or play tennis with anyone who thinks a serial adulterer, liar, thief, childish name-caller should be sitting in the White House, bringing our country down.
None of those things are as bad as having a President who supports universal healthcare for illegal aliens.

I’ll pass on that.

Old 10-01-2019, 02:35 PM

11,770 posts, read 5,783,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Oh, make no mistake about it, I do engage in conversations with others, after I figure out what side they are on. My stock question at work, when we have a customer/visitor from some other country is "Sooooooo, what do you think about our President ?"

I have asked that question a bunch of times, and only one person said "Oh, I like him !", tons more have either had a mild response about not caring for him, but some have gone off on a tangent and asked how America got to this low point so fast.
More than likely they are taken aback that anyone would dare be so bold with the political environment that we have. I hear plenty and keep my opinions to myself because I think people are daft to get so worked up over a person. As much as I disliked Obama - at work - I kept my mouth shut. I'm there to work - not to share my political opinion and I think most people feel that way.

Old 10-01-2019, 02:37 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,854,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
But yes ,it is really hard to believe that so many morons voted for Trump , that is no lie.
Some of those same "morons" voted for Obama, that is no lie.

Old 10-01-2019, 02:37 PM

18,458 posts, read 15,239,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
No greater than the number of morons who voted for Hillary.
3 Million more morons, as they like to keep telling us.

Old 10-01-2019, 02:39 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,353,176 times
All voters are morons.

- The anarchist

(I wouldn't last a minute in anyone's "group")

Old 10-01-2019, 02:40 PM

16,070 posts, read 10,729,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I notice something similar in that liberals, even when among people they don't know, just ASSUME that everyone agrees with them. (Comments run the range from "isn't it awful the way Tump puts immigrants in concentration camps?" to downright insults about Trump voters like "can you believe there were so many morons who voted for Trump?")
This pretty much describes Trumpers here. This is a blue state and a very blue part of that state but Trumpers never learn to keep their politics to themselves and often get told off. They get their feelings hurt very easily if anyone questions or challenges their false notions or conspiracy theories. I know some who moved away "to be closer to family". We also get a lot of tourists who drive into town in their huge RV or the gigantic trailer hauled by a monster truck and then have the gall to spout their self-defined victim BS and how Trump is going to save us. They get shut down pretty fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies