Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 01:43 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,796,827 times

Advertisements

New Study: Red Meat Is NOT Bad for Your Heart

After over 30 years of bad mouthing red meat, those studies were finally found to be bogus. Kinda reminds me of the climate change alarmists......

https://www.institutefornaturalheali...not-bad-heart/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2019, 01:46 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,553,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
New Study: Red Meat Is NOT Bad for Your Heart

After over 30 years of bad mouthing red meat, those studies were finally found to be bogus. Kinda reminds me of the climate change alarmists......

https://www.institutefornaturalheali...not-bad-heart/
Yes, it's the same old story. Stop doing this, its bad for you/us/the planet. They try to intimidate you into lowering, bit-by-bit, your lifestyle. Then the wheels come off the wagon later when the truth comes out.

Old 10-01-2019, 01:49 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,668,041 times
Eat all you like. My cuz, my exact age, died last year from Colon cancer. It was pretty quick, so there is that. He ate a LOT of meat. I'm a veggie.

Nothing wrong with most meat in moderation....even red meat. Of course, this study being quoted is one tiny study that didn't take into account the MANY studies which say otherwise......

Even from an energy standpoint alone, red meat is vastly more polluting which means, in total, we are all being exposed to more pollutants and dirtier water, air and land.

Everything in moderation. A 4oz. portion of red meat as part of a varied diet is not gonna be a problem.

Old 10-01-2019, 01:50 PM

3,346 posts, read 1,268,161 times
So ignore the bazillions of studies saying to eat meat in moderation, but once one comes out you agree with, it’s gotta be the truth.

It’s called confirmation bias.

Old 10-01-2019, 01:59 PM

8,059 posts, read 3,943,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
So ignore the bazillions of studies saying to eat meat in moderation, but once one comes out you agree with, it’s gotta be the truth.

It’s called confirmation bias.
This study is actually a meta-analysis of those "bazillions" of studies.

Old 10-01-2019, 02:09 PM

15,823 posts, read 6,532,470 times
A 2019 study that included the said W. Campbell of Purdue:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30958719

concludes, "Inconsistencies regarding the effects of red meat on cardiovascular disease risk factors are attributable, in part, to the composition of the comparison diet. Substituting red meat with high-quality plant protein sources, but not with fish or low-quality carbohydrates, leads to more favorable changes in blood lipids and lipoproteins."

I.e. eat your salad, gentlemen, if you want to live.

Old 10-01-2019, 02:09 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,409,298 times
It's obvious that red meat is not bad.

Humans have eaten that for millennia.

What is bad for the human diet imo:

1. Excessive grains (especially bleached grain with all fiber removed), these metabolize into sugar
2. Excessive dairy (humans only recently evolved the ability to process dairy and a significant number of modern people still have problems with it)
3. Fake sugars like high fructose corn syrup (studies show these are even worse than regular sugar)
4. Too much sugar (real of fake) in the diet as a whole
5. A diet not in proportion to physical activity (i.e. if you are going to be a couch potato, you need to control your portions)
6. A diet lacking in micronutrients (i.e. eat your vegetables)
7. A diet too heavy in psychoactive drugs (i.e. too much alcohol, caffeine, etc)

Old 10-01-2019, 02:17 PM

45,210 posts, read 26,424,445 times
What's bad is following the food pyramid the whiz bangs at the USSRDA put together.

Old 10-01-2019, 02:27 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,114,371 times
Remember the egg thing. Eggs were bad for your heart. Then studies showed that actually they were not.
It is just anecdotal, but I have eaten eggs 4-5 times a week for 50 years. And my cholesterol is fine. I also eat red meat almost every day. My doctor tells me that at 71, I am healthier than most of his 50 year old patients. It is not heredity either. My parents and grandparents all died in their 50s.

Old 10-01-2019, 02:28 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,409,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Remember the egg thing. Eggs were bad for your heart. Then studies showed that actually they were not.
It is just anecdotal, but I have eaten eggs 4-5 times a week for 50 years. And my cholesterol is fine. I also eat red meat almost every day. My doctor tells me that at 71, I am healthier than most of his 50 year old patients. It is not heredity either. My parents and grandparents all died in their 50s.
Eggs were just a misunderstanding of cholesterol.

Excessive blood cholesterol is bad for your heart.

However, the mistake was thinking intake of dietary cholesterol will necessarily raise blood cholesterol, that is not the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies