Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2019, 02:19 PM

23,971 posts, read 15,075,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
We don’t. Fat, annoying feminists do.
As a kept woman for 61 years, I'll second that.

When the kids were in school I was also a hairy armpit feminist. I was very involved with NOW and Woman's political caucus.

They never said anything negative, but boy did I get looks when they asked what do you do? It was as if my life was defined by my employer.

But, as I told the career women, somebody needed to be around when the kids got home to be the scout leader, Sunday school teacher, foster parent. And to pick up the kids of working moms when they were throwing up at school.

When my kids were older and we needed income for college, I rehabbed houses. That gave me total control of my time and the budget.

Somebody needs to do the daily living stuff that enables the other partner to go work. But 40 years of ironing 100% cotton oxford cloth shirts was a PITA.

Old 10-02-2019, 02:20 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,161,650 times
Homemakers are viewed as "traditional" roles and anything traditional these days is under attack. So sad IMHO.

Old 10-02-2019, 02:32 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
We don’t. Fat, annoying feminists do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
As a kept woman for 61 years, I'll second that.

When the kids were in school I was also a hairy armpit feminist. I was very involved with NOW and Woman's political caucus.

They never said anything negative, but boy did I get looks when they asked what do you do? It was as if my life was defined by my employer.

But, as I told the career women, somebody needed to be around when the kids got home to be the scout leader, Sunday school teacher, foster parent. And to pick up the kids of working moms when they were throwing up at school.

When my kids were older and we needed income for college, I rehabbed houses. That gave me total control of my time and the budget.

Somebody needs to do the daily living stuff that enables the other partner to go work. But 40 years of ironing 100% cotton oxford cloth shirts was a PITA.
There's definitely some shaming going on here...but not to housewives.

Old 10-02-2019, 02:35 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
F-bomb that.

I've merely "helped out" or "filled in" for the homemaker when it comes to relatives.

I'd rather dig ditches on the surface of the sun then do that job 24/7/365. Hard as HELL and little reward.
Even more fun when you're both the breadwinner and the homemaker, but somehow when they're your own kids, the rewards are there.

Old 10-02-2019, 02:38 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
This is a bit of an extreme example, and ironically really a commercial for her home business.
Woman Ditches Office Job To Pursue Dream Of Being A 1950s-Era Housewife

But my wife and I are pretty similar. She would work second shift, I worked a "9-5" and would rarely see each other. House was a mess, both stressed out, eating like crap, etc. She quit and took on a traditional homemaker role and we've been much happier ever since.

However, when people ask what she does and the answer comes up as homemaker, there's often a scoff or snide comment made in response. It was entirely her choice whether to work or not. I've never forced anything. We even had one particularly bad neighbor spreading rumors that I was very controlling/beat her/etc.

In this age of female empowerment, why do so many have a problem with someone actively choosing a traditional role and liking it? Is it just jealousy of not being able to do the same and get by on one income? Especially when there are no kids involved. Or is it more deep rooted that women should not be doing such things anymore, even by choice?
I have no problem with those who choose a traditional role. I kind of envy that they get that choice. I already have to clean up everything and go get everything and do everything around here anyway. Would be nice if I didn't also have to think about making money and paying bills and what if scenarios. Frankly, I think they are the smart ones.

Old 10-02-2019, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
There's definitely some shaming going on here...but not to housewives.
I don't give a damn what anybody does. As the mother of females, and the daughter of a divorced mom, I wanted my daughters to be self sufficient and not have to depend on others. Too many friends were left with nothing for sweet young things, including my mom.

Fifty years of observation instructs me that plenty of people want kids. Taking care of them, not so much. And, one needs to make 100K a year to be able to afford good care. Fifty years of observation informs me not many know what that is.

If that's shaming, I'm happy to do it.

Old 10-02-2019, 02:47 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
I don't give a damn what anybody does. As the mother of females, and the daughter of a divorced mom, I wanted my daughters to be self sufficient and not have to depend on others. Too many friends were left with nothing for sweet young things, including my mom.

Fifty years of observation instructs me that plenty of people want kids. Taking care of them, not so much. And, one needs to make 100K a year to be able to afford good care. Fifty years of observation informs me not many know what that is.

If that's shaming, I'm happy to do it.
I don't care what people do either. I've seen plenty of women left with nothing (or close to it) when their husband runs off or dies and was too arrogant to spend $on life insurance. I have seen women choose to stay home at the expense of health insurance and retirement savings.

I've seen well brought up children from both working and SAH moms. Poorly brought up ones as well. And I've never felt the need to denegrate or name-call anyone else in order to feel confident in the decisions I've made for myself and my family. No need to shame anyone.

Last edited by maciesmom; 10-02-2019 at 03:02 PM..

Old 10-02-2019, 03:25 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,556,326 times
Quote:
I don't care what people do either. I've seen plenty of women left with nothing (or close to it) when their husband runs off or dies and was too arrogant to spend $on life insurance. I have seen women choose to stay home at the expense of health insurance and retirement savings.

I've seen well brought up children from both working and SAH moms. Poorly brought up ones as well. And I've never felt the need to denegrate or name-call anyone else in order to feel confident in the decisions I've made for myself and my family. No need to shame anyone.
Yep. I would NEVER depend on a man for money. No way.

Old 10-02-2019, 03:27 PM

Quote:

I'm just a dumb housewife. Could you please inform me specifically when and where the shaming and name calling occurred? I missed that lesson about being politically correct. And I was not denigrating anybody.

Those kids I picked up at school when they were throwing up or ill were the children of working friends who knew I would take care of their kid. How is that shaming working women? So were the scout troops and Sunday school.

Your brush is pretty broad, too.

Old 10-02-2019, 03:30 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,054,876 times
Why do we shame homemakers?

I think homemakers are awesome, but many on the political left don't agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies