Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2019, 06:59 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Given the answer above.

Apparently more than humans.
Seems like if that were the case, govt police should be raiding slaughter houses, poultry farms, veterinarian offices, arresting hunters...

Old 10-03-2019, 07:04 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Do animals have rights?
Do humans?

Rights are man made. We can apply them to whatever we like.

The only natural right is survival of the fittest. And humans spend a whole lot of time doing things to try to negate that.

Old 10-03-2019, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Yes we know. But we also know that sentencing isn’t always fair...
Kind of hard to feel bad for an armed robber though. I’m not terribly upset that he will be spending much of his life in prison. Think about how many less people will be robbed with him off the street.

Old 10-03-2019, 07:08 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,178 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Yes we know. But we also know that sentencing isn’t always fair...
In terms of the female police officer the Judge may have been swayed by the fact she was very tired after working a 14 hour shift, was of good character and had been a respectable member of the community and at that events were due to confusion and misunderstanding rather than any pre-planned murder.

However usually in such circumstances a manslaughter verdict is more appropriate.

One punch deaths, especially where the where both parties were involved and there may have been provocation, often leads to a dilemma among jurors and in terms of sentencing, and each case is different and should be judged on it's own merits, and this also applies to the two cases the OP compares in his intial post.

One-punch deaths: How lives are devastated by a single blow - BBC News

You also have to askk yourself what purpose would it serve to lock someone up for the rest of their lives. I can understand locking someone up forever if they are a danger to society, however to lock someone up for good in relation to what was a tragic turn of events based on misunderstanding is pointless. The police officer has to deal with what she has done every day of her life and that in it's self is punishment on top of a prison term. Anything beyond on that is not really justice it's just pure vengeance and locking someone up forever in such circumstances is pointless.

Last edited by Brave New World; 10-03-2019 at 07:37 AM..

Old 10-03-2019, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Do humans?

Rights are man made. We can apply them to whatever we like.

The only natural right is survival of the fittest. And humans spend a whole lot of time doing things to try to negate that.
Disagree but;
So you're okay with the lack of consistency in application of said man made rights?

Old 10-03-2019, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Disagree but;
So you're okay with the lack of consistency in application of said man made rights?
No, I’m not ok with inconsistency in sentencing. In general, they should usually be more harsh than they are though. But I dont know enough about it. What is the standard sentence for killing a police dog, plus violating the property rights of the person he was robbing?

Old 10-03-2019, 07:16 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
So a police officer can walk into your apartment, kill you, claim that he or she thought they were in their own apartment and receive 10 years. But if you shoot a police dog...

Wonder how many years he received for the unrelated crimes because the way the article reads...

https://abcnews.go.com/Lifestyle/man...ry?id=41645362
All it tells me is that a dog's life is more valued than a Black man's life.

Old 10-03-2019, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
No, I’m not ok with inconsistency in sentencing. In general, they should usually be more harsh than they are though. But I dont know enough about it. What is the standard sentence for killing a police dog, plus violating the property rights of the person he was robbing?
Why is a police dog different than the average mans best friend?

Old 10-03-2019, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
All it tells me is that a dog's life is more valued than a Black man's life.
It shouldn’t tell you that. The circumstances that lead to the deaths were completely different.

Old 10-03-2019, 07:30 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Departments view police dogs as officers. If the guy killed a dog on the premises and they gave him 45 years, that would be a good comparison to make with the Jean case. This is apples to oranges.

I don't disagree that there is a vast difference in sentencing between elite and non-elite, with non-elite black males getting harsher sentencing (thanks, in part, to Bill Clinton), but this isn't an apt comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies