Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2019, 08:22 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,938,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
A big reason is no/poor access to health care.
If you're not sick, you don't need health care.

People are born healthy. What happens afterward? Is up to you.

So WHY are US people so SICK???

Healthcare is not the answer.

HEALTH is the answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2019, 08:27 AM

2,923 posts, read 977,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post

HEALTH is the answer.
Good luck with that. The biggest state in this country is perfectly ok with sloth and drug use. The south is full of nothing but fat slobs that eat fried everything.

Meanwhile I'll continue to be successful and have great access to healthcare. Maybe a culling is needed.

Old 10-04-2019, 08:30 AM

18,453 posts, read 7,084,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
https://www.linkedin.com/feed/news/w...e-job-5059770/

Conflicting headlines in the past few years...

"Medical Jobs to increase exponentially with aging US population"
"Nursing jobs in demand, to add 200k jobs in next __ years"
"Nurse shortage in ___ (Oct __)"
"Nurse shortage in ___ (Nov __)"
"Nurse shortage in ___ (Dec__)"

You get the point...

And then there's articles like this...Where Nurses have to strike for better working conditions and advocate on behalf of patients? Just like the broader economy - something is amiss here.

People in this country should be VERY concerned god forbid they get into an accident and have their life dependent upon the competence of a disgruntled Nurse that is disillusioned with their job. I have lived in 3 other countries and the healthcare workers here are some of the most unhealthy, unhappy and listless in the world. This should be considered a national crisis.

Maybe someone can explain to me how you can have a shortage of workers yet same group of workers need to strike for better working conditions and pay....Not adding up.

We weren't doing that bad until Democrats decided to throw a monkey wrench in the works with the ACA.

My premiums doubled and my deductible more than quadrupled after that.

Thanks a bunch.

Old 10-04-2019, 08:41 AM

4,021 posts, read 1,796,827 times
Average pay is $32 hr, which is $62,000 a year.....not counting benefits. Doesn't seem too bad to me...? I've had some medical stuff this year and have dealt with a bunch of nurses, and they have all been very professional, courteous and caring.....

I'm not sure the system is broken......

https://www.payscale.com/research/US...N)/Hourly_Rate

Old 10-04-2019, 08:49 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,475,534 times
Quote:
everyone has access to care.... care is a doctor

open up the yellow pages and make an appointment... its too simple

Old 10-04-2019, 09:15 AM

18,453 posts, read 7,084,312 times
Quote:

Everyone has access to health care.

Not everyone can pay for it.

I'm not poor.

I have health insurance.

But I can barely afford to actually use it.

Old 10-04-2019, 09:24 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,954,427 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post

HEALTH is the answer.
Except they aren't. Have you ever heard of birth defects, accidents, assaults, or chronic illness? Sure, health is the answer. But until the world is perfect, and it never will be, we will always need medical professionals to care for us.

Old 10-04-2019, 09:52 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,717,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I think possibly a majority of the newer nurses might have gotten into the field because of the wages they hear about, seems like a generation or two ago it was a solid middle-income job but people became nurses more because they wanted to help people who were ill and needed help with their medical conditions.

I venture to guess behind the scenes, nursing involves more than what a patient observes.

I have been in hospitals or urgent cares several times and while some of the nurses are excellent, seems like many are just going through the motions and seem demoralized.

As the wages increase to recruit nurses, they can't hire as many so the ones they have become overwhelmed.

If we moved to Medicare for All that means that there won't be much in the way of commercial insurance which means Medicare and Medicaid will have to have massive increases in reimbursement rates to make up for the very high margins hospitals and offices in general have with commercial insurance.

Commercial insurance is what keeps hospitals open. If there was very little in the way commercial insurance that would mean hospitals would close in droves because the Medicare reimbursement rates are very low.

A universal payor scheme would mean much, much higher government spending as commercial insurance will be much smaller and have less revenue to pay to hospitals to make up for the low reimbursement rates of Medicare and Medicaid currently.
No MD is required to accept a Medicare reimbursement. While most do accept Medicare, most limit the number of Medicare patients. In areas of large demand, it is increasingly necessary to join a Concierge plan to be seen by an MD as opposed to a NP or PA.

Universal Healthcare is not the same thing as Single Payer. Universal Healthcare is a legislative right to healthcare, regardless of means. The basis of all Universal Healthcare is mandatory insurance and subsidy of premiums.

Some countries rely entirely on private insurance. A few rely entirely on public insurance. Most are a mixed bag. Supplemental plans to help pay for that which the Universal Plan does not is increasingly common.

One of the biggest differences in the delivery of healthcare is the long term trend towards poly clinics instead of general purpose hospitals common in the US. For example, there is no need to deliver babies in an institution with the huge overhead necessary to sustain endless expressions of trauma, surgeries, cancer treatment, strokes, infectious diseases, etc. A birthing clinic attended by midwives under the supervision of an MD can operate substantially cheaper than a full service hospital and deliver better care.

To achieve measurable reductions in the cost of healthcare, it is necessary to reimagine the delivery of healthcare in the US.

Then there’s the whole personal responsibility thing. Imagine if premiums were based on healthy vs unhealthy waist measurements. Those with measures greater than the generous healthy range would pay higher premiums than those who maintain a measure within the healthy range. Diabetes 2 is an epidemic in the US and weight is a driver.

Old 10-04-2019, 09:58 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,938,426 times
Quote:
Except they aren't. Have you ever heard of birth defects, accidents, assaults, or chronic illness? Sure, health is the answer. But until the world is perfect, and it never will be, we will always need medical professionals to care for us.
Yes, people will need healthcare for trauma/issues that arise.

You are not UNHEALTHY because you do not have INSURANCE.

You are unhealthy ... because you are unhealthy. 88% of those with type 2 diabetes are overweight or obese.

That has nothing to do with insurance. It has to do with unhealthy eating and exercise (lack of) habits. No amount of insurance will take diabetes away.

Old 10-04-2019, 10:35 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,354,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
My wife is a nurse. Her current tasking is outpatient chemotherapy at one of the nation's leading cancer centers.

Two years ago, they opened the new building she works in, which doubled the number of patient chairs (beds) available...and they didn't hire a single new nurse. Not one. So new building opens, the nurse AND doctor workload doubles, pay stays exactly the same.

Every single time there is a "study" done by management on how to stem the outflow of nurses and doctors quitting, transferring out to other departments, etc...every single nurse/doctor asked is unanimous in saying "hire more people, reduce the insane workload." My wife literally just had her quarterly review, and she said that exact same thing, and not much else. They say "uh huh...well, we'll look into it" and then nothing changes. Meanwhile, she has clocked "No Lunch" 19 out of every 20 workdays for the last 5 years. She is go go go, no lunch, no break, on her feet every shift, every time, lather rinse repeat.

She has been a nurse for 32 years...and I tell her to quit every evening after one of her shifts. I want her to add to the shortage. My salary is sufficient for our needs and most of our wants, but she stubbornly refuses to give up on the extra money. I did get her to go to half time, so she only works 40 hours every two weeks, but every day I hope today is the day she turns in notice and just says the hell with it.

I don't know why they won't hire more people, but I don't care either. I just want my wife to be one less employee they can grind into dust. Not real happy to think that way, since my wife is one of the best nurses ever, as told to her by countless patients, doctors, admins, fellow nurses, etc over her career, but she's done her part ad all she gets for continuing to do it is increasingly bad treatment from her employer.
No good deed goes unpunished in a heavily regulated industry by the government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies