Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2019, 01:21 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,054,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcthunder1945 View Post
Because I'm not a fan of command style communism
Go tell it to China!

Quote:
where the government has to pick and choose among the tens of thousands of tariffs exemptions.
It's complex but America was getting screwed in previous so called "free trade" deals. NAFTA was a disaster.

Quote:
I'm not a fan of heavy handed governmental trade wars where we are bailing out farmers tens of billions
Farming in America has been subsidized for decades, this is nothing new. The government has to subsidize farming, otherwise no one would want to do it, it just wouldn't be profitable enough for most. It also helps to keep the price of food balanced, low enough for people to afford, but high enough for farmers to profit. Food, like medicine, is a tricky area where pure capitalism doesn't always work well because of a humanitarian conflict of interest, e.g. everyone needs to eat, and occassionally needs healthcare.

Quote:
and causing a global manufacturing contraction.
We've been over-manufacturing (on a global scale) for over a decade. There are massive car lots with hundreds of thousands of new cars that never get sold and are just sitting there, rotting away. It's incredibly wasteful. We're producing far more than we actually need.

Quote:
This all reeks of the crony capitalism and command style government that conservatives used to hate until 2016. I'm glad we have a diverse economy that isn't so reliant on exports.
1. Economies have always been full of cronyism.

2. Nations and their respective economies should be as self-sustaining as possible. They should produce as much of their own products & services as possible. Independent and self-sufficient whenever possible. This is also far better for the environment btw.

Quote:
And too many of them are in the White House. Why are you okay with Trump getting his cut by sending the Air Force to his Scotland Hotels? Diplomats and special interests groups through his resorts and hotels? Pay to play right in the open.
I'm not sure about this situation, but I'd rather our troops/diplomats stay in American owned hotel chains rather than foreign ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2019, 01:26 PM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Remarks by President Trump at Young Black Leadership Summit 2019

MR. WILLIAMS: "Thank you, President Trump. Thank you. Yeah, let me — yeah, this is a little too tall for me. (Applause.)

First of all, I just want to say I love President Donald J. Trump. (Applause.) The media is attacking him. But when they attack him, they are attacking us. (Applause.) Because he is out here fighting for us. And they are harassing you, Mr. President, so they are harassing me. (Applause.)

And I want to say one more thing here. A while back, President Trump said, when he was talking to the black community, “If you vote for me, what do you have to lose?” Because the do-nothing Democrats have done nothing for the black community. 2020 is around the corner and we have a lot to lose now because President Donald J. Trump has done so much for the black community. Thank you, President Trump." (Applause.)

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings...p-summit-2019/

They darned well know they are attacking us.

Guess who "They", aka democrats hate more...
  • President Donald J Trump
  • Black Americans who vote for him
?

Old 10-05-2019, 01:31 PM

1,896 posts, read 810,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterful_Man View Post
Go tell it to China!

It's complex but America was getting screwed in previous so called "free trade" deals. NAFTA was a disaster.
Not for my part of the country. Or for the West Coast. Or for the SE. Like I said, some regions have thrived since NAFTA.

Rust Belt was rusting long before NAFTA. If you want to compete with low skilled manufacturing then you have to get paid like the Mexican or the Chinese or the Indians or the Vietnamese. Also you need to roll back all the labor and environmental gains you've made. Or you can just have the government subsidize it all. Or you can adapt and innovate.

Quote:
Farming in America has been subsidized for decades, this is nothing new. The government has to subsidize farming, otherwise no one would want to do it, it just wouldn't be profitable enough for most. It also helps to keep the price of food balanced, low enough for people to afford, but high enough for farmers to profit. Food, like medicine, is a tricky area where pure capitalism doesn't always work well because of a humanitarian conflict of interest, e.g. everyone needs to eat, and occassionally needs healthcare.

Food supply is important. However, a dishonest trade war causes bad policy which causes bad outcomes like massive bailouts.

Quote:
We've been over-manufacturing (on a global scale) for over a decade. There are massive car lots with hundreds of thousands of new cars that never get sold and are just sitting there, rotting away. It's incredibly wasteful. We're producing far more than we actually need.

Going to be worse with the trade war. Good thing the US has a diverse economy. However, some domestic areas will be hit harder than others.

Quote:
1. Economies have always been full of cronyism.

2. Nations and their respective economies should be as self-sustaining as possible. They should produce as much of their own products & services as possible. Independent and self-sufficient whenever possible. This is also far better for the environment btw.

Agreed. Maybe things haven't been as bad as Trump campaigned on?

Quote:
I'm not sure about this situation, but I'd rather our troops/diplomats stay in American owned hotel chains rather than foreign ones.
Not a Hilton close by? Only can stay at a Trump brand hotel so his family can get their cut?

Old 10-05-2019, 01:32 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Trump is nasty to people, shows little respect for the law, ...

Apparently, a lot of people identify with that.

It is what it is.

Old 10-05-2019, 01:40 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times
Quote:
Remarks by President Trump at Young Black Leadership Summit 2019

MR. WILLIAMS: "Thank you, President Trump. Thank you. Yeah, let me — yeah, this is a little too tall for me. (Applause.)

First of all, I just want to say I love President Donald J. Trump. (Applause.) The media is attacking him. But when they attack him, they are attacking us. (Applause.) Because he is out here fighting for us. And they are harassing you, Mr. President, so they are harassing me. (Applause.)

And I want to say one more thing here. A while back, President Trump said, when he was talking to the black community, “If you vote for me, what do you have to lose?” Because the do-nothing Democrats have done nothing for the black community. 2020 is around the corner and we have a lot to lose now because President Donald J. Trump has done so much for the black community. Thank you, President Trump." (Applause.)

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings...p-summit-2019/
HAHAHAHA!

Old 10-05-2019, 01:46 PM

13,242 posts, read 4,919,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
Nope, my brothers are Trump supporters (not the fervent MAGA type, although they agree with some of his policies), and I distinguish between Trump and the average voters. My brothers even admit they detest his attitude and say they do not want their kids to turn out like Trump. Yet, I slam Trump when he dehumanizes his opponents. My remarks about him are aimed only at him. Only to those supporters who do support his vile remarks against "others" do my remarks about Trump extend to them.
Your brothers voted for him the first time & they'll vote for him again, & largely for the same reasons.

Old 10-05-2019, 01:47 PM

25,436 posts, read 9,793,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
They don’t believe you should have had the right to vote for Trump so that’s what they are trying to take away.
You have the right to vote for whoever you want. Don't know why you think otherwise. This is how disinformation gets spread.

Old 10-05-2019, 01:57 PM

7,420 posts, read 2,707,025 times
Quote:
He is the best President we ever had!
I have extreme difficulty understanding how a POTUS, who has decided that our national sovereignty is less significant than his own political performance, is the best president these United States of America ever had.

Old 10-05-2019, 01:57 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBMorgan View Post
I have to admit, I haven't had this much fun politically by attacking Trump and his Low IQ/poorly-educated MAGA- redhat-wearing deplorables as I have from 2015-present. It's been entertaining. I'm gonna miss it 2020. There's always idiots like word salad McCarthy and Turtle/Moscow Mitch and the rest of these spineless Senators who've been obsequious to the clown in the White House.

But it won't be the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vpdt7omPoa0
True that.

Old 10-05-2019, 03:09 PM

7,800 posts, read 4,397,040 times
Sane Voter: But when Trumpers attack me, they insult the intelligence of all sane voters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies