Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2019, 03:08 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,767,560 times

Advertisements

Interesting letter written to the NY Times on how Trump's trade war has affected one big company.....

Quote:
I oversee logistics & Customs for a division of a global high tech manufacturing company. We've cut both our freight and manufacturing jobs over the past year by moving more operations to Mexico. Why? Because of the Trump tariffs on products from China.

If we bring components into Mexico from China and then substantially transform the items into a final product, it is no longer a Chinese product; it's Mexican and duty free under NAFTA. Yes, there are many extra rules that the administration keeps adding to prevent this change in country of origin in manufacturing, but my team is very knowledgeable about every way we can reformulate the manufacturing process to take advantage of every exception.
Plus, we have very good attorneys who know the laws better than the administration, so we will keep staying one step ahead while also being compliant with the law. Tariffs are going to 30% on our products in mid-October, but we won't see any net increase in duties in N. America next year because we've planned well - and because the lower labor rates in Mexico are also adding to our savings. Ironically, the jobs we've been moving to Mexico are manufacturing jobs deeply red states where his supporters (and most of our former employees) still believe that the Trump tariffs are somehow good for the economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2019, 03:32 PM

18,492 posts, read 9,159,286 times
I think we Americans should just acknowledge that manufacturing is dead.

Now, obviously I don’t mean that there will be no more manufacturing. What I mean is that manufacturing has gone the way of agriculture: it is either highly automated or done by third world peasants. Like agriculture, manufacturing is no longer a source of living-wage employment for the first world masses.

There will still be some good paying jobs at companies that make manufacturing robots. After all, there are still some good paying jobs at John Deere and International Harvester. But agriculture and manufacturing are otherwise dead, at least as sources of mass employment.

Old 10-05-2019, 03:38 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
The red Chinese have many good friends in high places
We the people have only one
That you for enforcing fair trade agreements mr trump

Old 10-05-2019, 03:38 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,533,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I think we Americans should just acknowledge that manufacturing is dead.

Now, obviously I don’t mean that there will be no more manufacturing. What I mean is that manufacturing has gone the way of agriculture: it is either highly automated or done by third world peasants. Like agriculture, manufacturing is no longer a source of living-wage employment for the first world masses.

There will still be some good paying jobs at companies that make manufacturing robots. After all, there are still some good paying jobs at John Deere and International Harvester. But agriculture and manufacturing are otherwise dead, at least as sources of mass employment.
It’s not DEAD as in non-Existent I work in manufacturing myself and while they do pay decently enough and there are hours to be had it’s not like it once was. And it never will be again sadly

Old 10-05-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
It’s not DEAD as in non-Existent I work in manufacturing myself and while they do pay decently enough and there are hours to be had it’s not like it once was. And it never will be again sadly
Ok, I will quote from the Princess Bride: manufacturing is mostly dead.

Old 10-05-2019, 04:07 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,212,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Interesting letter written to the NY Times on how Trump's trade war has affected one big company.....
Trump not helping anyone who works paycheck to paycheck.

Old 10-05-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Trump not helping anyone who works paycheck to paycheck.
True, but neither are the Democrats. Both parties are corporate wh*res.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies