Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2019, 10:03 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,481,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Maybe if the school would stop interfering with parental responsibilities, parents would be able to do their "job."
If the law says that 16 is Age of Consent for birth control, then the student legally can consent to such procedures, even if the parent doesn't consent. Because it's up to the student and not the parent once the student turns 16. The student is free to get this service and doesn't need approval from a parent.

Now, if a student chooses to listen to their parent (if parent had such discussion prior) and if the parent doesn't want the child to have birth control, then the student can choose not to get birth control. But it's up to the student.

Various states have decided that at 16, a person is old enough to make their own birth control choices. It's up to this person to decide once they have reached the age of consent. They can choose to discuss their plans for birth control with the parent ahead of time or not.

Old 10-08-2019, 10:13 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,940,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
If the law says that 16 is Age of Consent for birth control, then the student legally can consent to such procedures, even if the parent doesn't consent. Because it's up to the student and not the parent once the student turns 16. The student is free to get this service and doesn't need approval from a parent.

Now, if a student chooses to listen to their parent (if parent had such discussion prior) and if the parent doesn't want the child to have birth control, then the student can choose not to get birth control. But it's up to the student.

Various states have decided that at 16, a person is old enough to make their own birth control choices. It's up to this person to decide once they have reached the age of consent. They can choose to discuss their plans for birth control with the parent ahead of time or not.
And it's conveniently located at the school. Shocker. The school is frog-in-pot-boiling parents out of parenting.

If it weren't so convenient, is it likely that there would be more discussion between parents and kids? I'd say probably.

If it weren't so convenient, would kids wait until they are more equipped to handle sex and the emotional baggage that tags along? Maybe.

How soon till the school offers sex rooms for kids? That would be the next logical step, right? You know, since they aren't allowed to "do it when my mom is home"? No parental permission needed. Grab some BC and hey room 6 is open, but be quick because you have to go to math in 42 minutes.

Hyperbole? Maybe. But maybe not.

Old 10-08-2019, 10:17 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,481,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post

If it weren't so convenient, is it likely that there would be more discussion between parents and kids? I'd say probably.

I agree with you that there would be more discussions with parents. But the discussions would be focused on an unexpected teen pregnancy and steps to take regarding the pregnancy. Having birth control easily available gives a much better chance to be pro-active versus reactive about teen pregnancy.

Old 10-08-2019, 10:20 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I disagree. My sister and I were raised in a devout Roman Catholic family and the message was delivered consistently at home and at school: Don't Do It Before Marriage. We were both sneaking off to Planned Parenthood before we graduated HS. (And my sister is still happily married to her first BF at age 64.) I don't blame my parents. I do make a distinction between girls who take the proactive step of walking into PP because they're sexually active and they want to avoid pregnancy, and girls who get an implant because it's the path of least resistance and all their friends are doing it.

The story horrifies me. I can see where girls "on the fence" might feel pressure to have sex now that the risk of pregnancy is no longer a reason to avoid it. They might choose not to use condoms because they have reliable BC even though that makes them vulnerable to STDs. I'm also wary of hormonal BC- the fewer artificial hormones you're putting into your body, the better. (I switched to a diaphragm at age 22 for that reason.) What 16-year old is able to research and evaluate those risks? It's obvious from earlier posts that mature adults don't agree.
The majority of teens are going to have some sort of sex. Period if their parents drop the ball and think it’s too much work for whatever reasons to talk to, their kids about sex and their girl gets Pregnant with her son Knocks a girl up the fault lies with them. What 16 year old girl can’t get on the internet and not research the risks?

Old 10-08-2019, 10:26 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
Quote:
I agree with you that there would be more discussions with parents. But the discussions would be focused on an unexpected teen pregnancy and steps to take regarding the pregnancy. Having birth control easily available gives a much better chance to be pro-active versus reactive about teen pregnancy.
How about leaving it up to the parents to bring their daughters to the doctor and get them on birth control after the discussion?

It's our business, as parents, to handle these matters - not the government that botches up everything they put their hands on.

Old 10-08-2019, 10:27 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,940,989 times
Quote:
Parents are idiots and wouldn't help their kids get BC? The school is a better parent? No.

Old 10-08-2019, 10:45 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,740,268 times
If kids can’t take an ibuprofen at school without a doctor’s note then it doesn’t make sense for the schools to be giving them hormonal birth control. I have zero problem with them giving out condoms but birth control and especially implants and shots? No.

Old 10-08-2019, 11:02 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
If kids can’t take an ibuprofen at school without a doctor’s note then it doesn’t make sense for the schools to be giving them hormonal birth control. I have zero problem with them giving out condoms but birth control and especially implants and shots? No.
It is not the "schools" doing it. The clinics are located at the schools, but they are run by the public health department.

Old 10-08-2019, 11:19 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,740,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
It is not the "schools" doing it. The clinics are located at the schools, but they are run by the public health department.
When I send my kids to school, I expect them to be at school. When are they getting gynecological exams during the school day?

Old 10-08-2019, 11:59 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
When I send my kids to school, I expect them to be at school. When are they getting gynecological exams during the school day?
Before school? After school? During study hall?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies