Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2019, 01:22 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,941,952 times

Advertisements

Many southern Democrats turned away from the Democratic party when they split over civil rights for African Americans and Affirmative Action. Since then many have become Republican and possibly, through the Tea Party movement, have changed it to what it is today - extreme Right and Trumpy. There are Republicans who hate what is happening to their supposedly conservative party.

The Democrats, motivated by the horror of the last election, and inspired by Sanders, have turned left and taking bold positions on issues that they shied away from before - abortion rights, universal healthcare, tax the billionaires 2 cents, free college as the boomers got.

Do you think at this moment the Republican party is about to change again? Many of the issues supported by Dems are popular with many Republicans as well - the middle class and poor. Many Republicans are supporting the impeachment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2019, 01:26 PM

15,066 posts, read 6,144,174 times
Honestly, I have no idea what either party is about to do. All I know is that both are obnoxious as hell and we need formidable alternatives.

Old 10-06-2019, 01:36 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,770,476 times
The one thing that doesn't work is to sit around and complain on an internet forum. Unfortunately you have to build a party from the ground up. You need to go to city council meetings, commission meetings and try to get on committees to advise. You have to go door to door and make of all, you need to raise money. That's a good start. Then raise more money.

Old 10-06-2019, 01:38 PM
nng

695 posts, read 287,955 times
I think both democrat and republican parties are two sides of the same coin. Both parties could care less about the average American. I think this country will continue to go downhill until this country finally collapses. I don't think the republicans or democrats will do the radical necessary things that need to be done to save this country. No one wants to rock the boat so to speak. This two party system is really destructive because people only vote for the lesser of the two evils, which is still bad and evil, because third parties don't even get a chance. Unbreaking America (YouTube video by Jennifer Lawrence) really shows how the entire system is rigged against the American people. Lobbyists and corporations basically bribe politicians both Republican and democrat to get what they want while the average person doesn't really have a voice or say at all. Third parties are not even allowed on the ballot in most states. This entire system is corrupt to the core. It's very sad actually.

Old 10-06-2019, 01:45 PM

Wow, what a pathetic and depressing posts and view of the USA. Have you ever lived anywhere else in the world?

The two parties are beholden to corporate money, but who made corparations "are people too?" Not the Dems.
Warren is not taking any corporate money as of now and she is surging. So it is possible to keep elections free of money if we repeal the law that made corporations people.

I believe the Dems and Repubs have basically very different values and their policies stem from that.

Old 10-06-2019, 01:54 PM
nng

695 posts, read 287,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Wow, what a pathetic and depressing posts and view of the USA. Have you ever lived anywhere else in the world?

The two parties are beholden to corporate money, but who made corparations "are people too?" Not the Dems.
Warren is not taking any corporate money as of now and she is surging. So it is possible to keep elections free of money if we repeal the law that made corporations people.

I believe the Dems and Repubs have basically very different values and their policies stem from that.
This is a fair viewpoint. There are many things I agree with and disagree with in regards to the democrats positions on the issues. Elizabeth warren is against stopping illegal immigration, for giving illegals healthcare, wants to tax Americans more to give people free subsidized childcare etc. I think there are pros and cons to both the republican and democrat parties; but I think they just don't care about the average joe middle class Americans. republicans are bad when it comes to warmongering and social issues IMO. In my opinion both parties suck. I am a moderate when it comes to politics; we need an alternative party to shake up the system. Having only to major political parties means only two choices and we need more options in the political sphere.

Old 10-06-2019, 01:59 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,304,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Honestly, I have no idea what either party is about to do. All I know is that both are obnoxious as hell and we need formidable alternatives.
Choose yourself.

You wouldn't believe what level of a-hole you are...or the level of hero either.

It's a scene, man.

Old 10-06-2019, 02:01 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,304,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post

I love pizza. I still wouldn't want to eat it at gunpoint though.

There's your difference and it has nothing to do with the fake dichotomy of Red vs Blue. The dichotomy is anarchist/non-statist v authoritarian/statist.

Old 10-06-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I love pizza. I still wouldn't want to eat it at gunpoint though.

There's your difference and it has nothing to do with the fake dichotomy of Red vs Blue. The dichotomy is anarchist/non-statist v authoritarian/statist.

Sorry, I have no idea what you are talking about.

Old 10-06-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nng View Post
This is a fair viewpoint. There are many things I agree with and disagree with in regards to the democrats positions on the issues. Elizabeth warren is against stopping illegal immigration, for giving illegals healthcare, wants to tax Americans more to give people free subsidized childcare etc. I think there are pros and cons to both the republican and democrat parties; but I think they just don't care about the average joe middle class Americans. republicans are bad when it comes to warmongering and social issues IMO. In my opinion both parties suck. I am a moderate when it comes to politics; we need an alternative party to shake up the system. Having only to major political parties means only two choices and we need more options in the political sphere.

What would your alternative party look like? I dont disagree with the view but I want to know what would be its platform that is different?
I honestly do not believe most middle class people, and those with low incomes where both parents work and still are unable to save, worry about immigration policies. They probably did not even know such a thing existed until Trump wanted to build a wall.
What they worry about is health care if they lose thier jobs, affordable child care both parents can work, good schools, safe streets and transportation, education that will not bankrupt them and jobs. Americans deserve all that. That I believe is what Dems believe.
I also think voters need to call their reps. and tell them what they want to make their lives better, easier, less worry free. And provide for their children decently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies