Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Trump's abandonment of the Kurds Betrayal or Smart?
Betrayal 123 63.73%
Smart 39 20.21%
Other 17 8.81%
Undecided 14 7.25%
Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2019, 08:55 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Interesting, both sides want war. Like always.
I got the impression that folks -- left, right, center --- aren't calling for more war but more to keep a presence in Syria to HELP the Kurds and avoid an attack on them. It is less about wanting a war and more about wanting to provide protection, help to the Kurds who were willing to help the USA when the USA worked to get rid of ISIS.

Old 10-07-2019, 09:00 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,261,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I got the impression that folks -- left, right, center --- aren't calling for more war but more to keep a presence in Syria to HELP the Kurds and avoid an attack on them. It is less about wanting a war and more about wanting to provide protection, help to the Kurds who were willing to help the USA when the USA worked to get rid of ISIS.
Awww, that sounds so nice. Are the US Troops supposed to wag their fingers and No-No-No! when the Turks start bombing the Kurdish citizens? Are the US Troops supposed to go hide in bunkers to avoid being bombed by the Turks? Exactly how do the US Troops "avoid" an attack on the Kurds? Protect the Kurds? During Turkish Bombing raids?

What is your best guess?

Old 10-07-2019, 09:06 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,111,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Awww, that sounds so nice. Are the US Troops supposed to wag their fingers and No-No-No! when the Turks start bombing the Kurdish citizens? Are the US Troops supposed to go hide in bunkers to avoid being bombed by the Turks? Exactly how do the US Troops "avoid" an attack on the Kurds? Protect the Kurds? During Turkish Bombing raids?

What is your best guess?
They'd think twice if the U.S. is there. We wag fingers and if they try anything they'll find out we're no joke. They already know that.

As for wanting a war? No, we don't want one, but we should not be turning our backs on our allies.

Old 10-07-2019, 09:09 PM

Quote:

What is your best guess?
I never said what I thought -- just what I heard. So take you snarky questions to the folks who whined all day about the USA leaving the Kurds unprotected.

Old 10-07-2019, 09:16 PM

39,857 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Not to worry ..... I feel certain that ALL 75 who voted "betrayal" are on the phone right now demanding their CongressCritter vote for a Authorization of Military Force to attack Turkey to "save the Kurds".

A lot of people need a serious Reality Check about what is going on - and what the alternatives are.
You want to stop Turkey ..... VOTE for it and then OWN it.
??? I don't really give a damn about Turkey one way or the other. I am glad to see that, for once, we have a president that is protecting the lives of American servicemen and women, instead of sacrificing them to keep Middle Eastern Muslims from killing each other. No one there is worth the life of an American serviceperson. Let them sort their own issues out.

Trump had the right idea about a year ago regarding getting out of Syria. Sadly he caved to the warmongers of both parties...and Americans died as a result.

Old 10-07-2019, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
??? I don't really give a damn about Turkey one way or the other. I am glad to see that, for once, we have a president that is protecting the lives of American servicemen and women, instead of sacrificing them to keep Middle Eastern Muslims from killing each other. No one there is worth the life of an American serviceperson. Let them sort their own issues out.

Trump had the right idea about a year ago regarding getting out of Syria. Sadly he caved to the warmongers of both parties...and Americans died as a result.

So we aren't worried about ISIS regaining territory in Syria? Because aren't we worried about ISIS because they like to kill Americans?

Old 10-07-2019, 09:18 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,561,223 times
The Kurds simply have the misfortune of not having a profitable Trump development (The Trump Towers Istanbul) within the territory they hold.
Thanks for your help against ISIS and all but hey, business is business...

Old 10-07-2019, 09:19 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,261,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Sweet Jesus. The entire world is sick of foreign policy via tweet. I don't pretend to be an expert at foreign policy but I do know this - for every action - there is an equal and opposite reaction. Could be good; could be bad. We don't know.

Could we for once show some restraint? Maybe pull in our troops a bit at a time AFTER we let our allies know what we are doing?

THEN - in the future - don't get involved to begin with?
Do I think that President Trump occasionally (even often) goes too far with his Tweets? YEP
Do I want him to stop Tweeting? NOPE

Why is that? I'm beyond fed up with the LIES by our Leadership - the Trump Tweets are honest.
People like or dislike them, but they tell us what he is thinking.

As for Foreign Policy by Tweet -- everything we have heard from a variety of sources is that Donald Trump is constantly on the phone, communicating with his team, CongressCritters, Foreign Leaders and even Media. He clearly had a long conversation with Erdogan on this issue. Erdogan told him what he WAS going to do ...... Trump tweeted and told the World.

I don't think that is a bad thing. I guess Trump could have pretended he didn't know, called all kinds of meetings and they could have sat in a corner sucking their thumbs about "what are WE going to do now" .... but that is not his style and I'm personally glad of it.

1).Pretend nothing is happening
2).Expose what is happening

I choose #2 every time. Now everyone is on notice and so is Erdogan.
The EU, the UN, the US Congress, Russia, the Kurds, the Butcher of Damascus

All know what is coming ...... none of this "I didn't know until I read it in the media".

Old 10-07-2019, 09:21 PM

39,857 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
So we aren't worried about ISIS regaining territory in Syria? Because aren't we worried about ISIS because they like to kill Americans?
And you think Turkey would turn a bunch of violent Islamic savages loose-why? I have nothing against a handful of well-armed drones loaded with cluster bombs circling over those prisons where ISIS prisoners are kept, and leveling the place if efforts are made to free them. But lets wait for that to happen, rather than dreaming up conspiracy theories to justify sacrificing more American lives.

Old 10-07-2019, 09:28 PM

8,494 posts, read 3,335,020 times
Quote:
Russia doesn't want to "annex Syria" ..... all they want is a port in the Med.
Does anyone really think Russia wants to go to war with Iran over Syria?

How difficult is it to understand the political dynamics in this region?
Too difficult I guess.

Russia wants a port.
Iran wants a roadway to Lebanon because of Israel.
The USA under all Administrations doesn't want to be involved. It's a matter of HOW they avoid involvement.

This is not Rocket Science
Quote:
The alternative is attack Turkey when they attack the Kurds.
I'm going to take a wild guess that is not in your tool box.
And here I was agreeing with you so nicely. About your question, the theory of the day had been to create a safe zone that appeared to be working relatively well. Minimal cost to the US in dollars or risk to US troops. That now has vanished.

One twist is the Turks appear to want more Syrian territory where they can park Syrians now in Turkey.

So what do you think about your bold? The Israelis reportedly were blindsided. Given our commitment to Israel, how uninvolved can the US get in the Middle East? Not arguing pros or con, just questioning.

The reality is no absolute may be viable. The US cannot police or fix the world. Neither can it retreat from it. Both extremes may bring unacceptable costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies