Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Trump's abandonment of the Kurds Betrayal or Smart?
Betrayal 123 63.73%
Smart 39 20.21%
Other 17 8.81%
Undecided 14 7.25%
Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2019, 11:16 AM

6,224 posts, read 3,409,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
They were not attacked by Turks and never would have been. US is leaving because Trump got rolled by the muslims. He gets his Trump tower, and the Turks get to kill Christians and Kurds in Northern Syria.

You forgot to mention the Kurds terrorist attacks within Turkey.

Old 10-08-2019, 11:19 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,872,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
I voted neither...its strange that some (mostly liberals) fight to keep us out of war but when a hint of leaving a war zone they, including some republicans but most liberals scream its treason/abandonment.
Since the early 90's we have had a military presents in Bosnia with no time line to withdraw...why?
So you are in favor of literally throwing our allies to the wolves. Don't for a minute believe whatever allies the U.S. has left at this point aren't taking note. This will have far-reaching consequences for the U.S. beyond just a blatant and careless betrayal of the Kurds. It will signal to the rest of the world that the U.S. is not a trusted ally going forward. I suppose that is of no concern to you?

Old 10-08-2019, 11:21 AM

8,502 posts, read 3,341,588 times
I ask you this: Erdogan gets along great guns (bad pun) with Russia these days. Non-Kurdish Syria is a Russian client state. Turkey wants to get rid of its non-Kurdish Syrians. Sounds good to me. Intermixing ethnic populations in unstable regions can be problematic. Syrians are not integrated into Turkey, increasing discontent raising the possibility of ISIS recruitment.

So why the bloody hell cannot Putin get his two buddies together to negotiate a return of Syrians into an Assad-controlled safe zone? Is Assad that murderous? Unfortunately, the answer may be yes but bear with me ...

Instead it is the United States who steps aside to allow Turkey to move non-Kurdish Syrians into Kurdish held territory at the exact same time the Kurds continue - and make no mistake they do - restrain ISIS for us.

The common refrain is "Why does it have to the United States." On that issue ^^^ I agree. We just rolled over and played dead.

Old 10-08-2019, 11:25 AM

8,484 posts, read 6,891,592 times
It now appears Trump was talked out his decision. Story now is just 50 special operators are being relocated to another area of Syria. So our Syrian foreign policy is back to where it was last week. Luckily there appear to be people in the WH, Congress and DOD who can block the President’s craziest and ill informed decisions.

Old 10-08-2019, 11:28 AM

15,531 posts, read 10,501,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
It now appears Trump was talked out his decision. Story now is just 50 special operators are being relocated to another area of Syria. So our Syrian foreign policy is back to where it was last week. Luckily there appear to be people in the WH, Congress and DOD who can block the President’s craziest and ill informed decisions.
It was 50 to 100, they are already gone, nothing changed.

Old 10-08-2019, 11:34 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Turks are getting ready for the purge.

Turkey vows to press ahead with attack on Kurdish-led forces in Syria

Vice-president says Ankara will not be ‘controlled by threats’ as Donald Trump changes tone on US withdrawal

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...in-syria-trump

Turkey has signalled its intent to press ahead with an attack on US-backed Kurdish-led forces in north-east Syria despite confusion over US policy after officials appeared to backtrack on Donald Trump’s decision to withdraw troops from the area.

The vice-president, Fuat Oktay, said Turkey would execute its own plans regarding national security and would not be “controlled by threats”.

The Trump administration appeared to step back from the president’s reported promise to his Turkish counterpart, Recep Tayyap Erdoğan, in a phone call on Sunday that he would withdraw US troops from Syria’s north-east.

Old 10-08-2019, 11:36 AM

8,502 posts, read 3,341,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
I voted neither...its strange that some (mostly liberals) fight to keep us out of war but when a hint of leaving a war zone they, including some republicans but most liberals scream its treason/abandonment.
Since the early 90's we have had a military presents in Bosnia with no time line to withdraw...why?
Last year I spent some time in Bosnia, Serbia, Montenegro with an earlier trip to Croatia. The Serbs and Croats continue to hate each other in Croatia ... the Bosniaks and Serbs and then the Bosniaks and the Croats in Bosnia ... the Montenegrins deeply divided between pro-US and pro-Russian factions ... the Serbs remain pretty ticked at Americans.

Croatia is a NATO member. Montenegro just joined recently, a move that deeply divided the country.

Like I said, if the United States just wants to roll it up and go home then have that debate. Not merely rhetorically, but practically with all the various ramifications considered. In the interim, we still have some obligations that were crafted following ww2.

Don't misunderstand. This not to advocate for a world dominated by US military power. An adjustment to the US world view in light of the dismantlement of the USSR, Chinese-economic power, nationalism etc. may well be called for. Absent that, policy sanity is a plus .

Old 10-08-2019, 11:39 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
New Times Of Israel reports

US troops begin Syria pullout as Turkey readies offensive, alarming Kurds
American-allied Kurdish fighters say withdrawal will undo achievements against Islamic State, accuse Washington of failing to honor commitments

https://www.timesofisrael.com/us-tro...larming-kurds/

The American withdrawal came just hours after the White House said US forces in northeastern Syria will move aside and clear the way for an expected Turkish assault — essentially abandoning Kurdish fighters who fought alongside American forces in the years-long battle to defeat IS.

Old 10-08-2019, 11:41 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,872,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Turks are getting ready for the purge.

Turkey vows to press ahead with attack on Kurdish-led forces in Syria

Vice-president says Ankara will not be ‘controlled by threats’ as Donald Trump changes tone on US withdrawal

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...in-syria-trump

Turkey has signalled its intent to press ahead with an attack on US-backed Kurdish-led forces in north-east Syria despite confusion over US policy after officials appeared to backtrack on Donald Trump’s decision to withdraw troops from the area.

The vice-president, Fuat Oktay, said Turkey would execute its own plans regarding national security and would not be “controlled by threats”.

The Trump administration appeared to step back from the president’s reported promise to his Turkish counterpart, Recep Tayyap Erdoğan, in a phone call on Sunday that he would withdraw US troops from Syria’s north-east.
Trump's erratic, unthinking foreign policy is being totally discounted on the world stage. No one is listening to him because they know he's an imbecile who governs by tweet at 3 a.m. without ever consulting anyone who has actual knowledge and intelligence and might point out how stupid he is.

This is what we are being reduced to on the world stage. We are being led by a buffoon that no one, even our NATO allies, take seriously any longer. MAGA indeed.

Old 10-08-2019, 11:51 AM

15,531 posts, read 10,501,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post
Let me ask you this, what happens when/if our troops are attacked? We go to war with Turkey, with Iran, possibly Russia and China. Over what exactly? Sounds like a lot to risk for nothing to gain
Yeah, I don't care who the president is, I don't care how we do it, but let's get out. Let's get out of the Middle East period. W's plan didn't work, I don't know what the hell Obama was doing, if it takes Trump to do it, fine with me. I'm sick of seeing our guys blown up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies