Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2019, 06:25 AM

5,728 posts, read 3,248,892 times

Advertisements

who did they poll? nobody asked me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Thread title is a direct quote:

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/just-in-...l-from-office/

Another shift in momentum. Republican support for impeachment now at 18%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2019, 06:39 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,702,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Polls showed a 98% probability that Hillary Clinton would be elected President.

"Madame President" was already declared before election night.

Most every recognized pollster projected Hillary the winner of the POPULR vote. The wild card was by number of points.

For the 5th time in history, the winner, Trump, lost the popular vote, as projected by most polls.

If “ I did not vote” was a candidate in 2016, it would have won in a landslide.

Old 10-09-2019, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
Left leaning news outlet asks 1000 of it's readers if they want Trump impeachment inquiry, half say yes. An INQUIRY.

What does that tell you.
Some news outlets, including Fox News, commission polls. They do not conduct polls.

Some alternative media conduct online polls. And some allow unlimited votes from the same source.

Old 10-09-2019, 06:51 AM

Quote:
That would be good because the national polls the night before the 2016 election were quite accurate.
Polls showed POPULAR vote outcomes and were spot on.

If I recall only one recognized pollster for the LA Times, showed Trump winning the POPULAR vote by a wide margin.

People have a tendency to dismiss polls unless the outcomes validate their own perceptions.

Old 10-09-2019, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
too bad that 67% you need aren't working as US Senators. An exercise in futility, America understands what this is about.
There were multiple special investigations into Bill Clinton. All concluded insufficient evidence to charge him.
Then the Monica Lewinsky thing surfaced and Clinton lied. The House impeached Clinton knowing full well, the Senate would not convict him.

Old 10-09-2019, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Sure - the answer - other then current events...is ZERO.

It may be that 1/2 the country didn't "approve of the job the POTUS was doing".....but that is somewhat normal.

Here is the data you might be looking for although it goes back further
https://www.axios.com/trump-impeachm...fd9c5ce9e.html

Trump is actually now DOUBLE (58%) support for impeachment inquiry than Clinton and 20 points higher then Nixon.

I think it is important that we understand this in a historical context.
There was lackluster public support for the impeachment of Bill Clinton. That did not however, prevent the House from doing so.

Old 10-09-2019, 07:08 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,361,465 times
Quote:
Well, it was never the founding father's intent to have an impeachment inquiry and then put it all on hold until the next election.

Well, it's not an "and then..."

It's an "or", as in put up or shut up.

I also support a real impeachment inquiry because it will make those playing games with impeachment accountable.

Nasty Nancy won't call for a vote because she realizes Democrat House members from districts Trump won won't survive if they attach their names to this charade.

So what are we really doing?

Old 10-09-2019, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Having lived through both of those times, at an age when I remembered the events well, the news of the events precipitating the impeachment prior to the actual event was basically non-existent in Nixon’s case and limited to 1 1/2 hours per day on the news and SOME newspapers in Clinton’s case. It took longer for the ordinary citizen to realize what was going on. Additionally, in neither case had there been repeated calls, or even whispers, for impeachment prior the criminal event the president was eventually charged with. Also, with Nixon just the murmur of possible impeachment itself upset people because it had only occurred once in our history and it was balked at by people on both sides of the aisle with Clinton because most felt impeachment itself should be reserved. In both cases many were upset because they were afraid once that barn door was opened that in future it might be weaponized by political parties to negate elections.

For the record, I did NOT support the impeachment of Clinton and I still think it was one of Congress’ dark moments. My House Representative, who had easily won his previous elections, lost in the next general election over it and I was one of the people who voted against him in both the primary and general elections, strictly based on his actions leading up to Clinton’s impeachment. I was scandalized he agreed to put our nation through such turmoil. I had no idea at the time that it was small potatoes and in my lifetime I would see used in such a blatant political maneuvering as we are seeing now.

This is worse.

For Profit Cable News, the internet and especially social media changed the game.

Most people did not support the impeachment of Clinton. That did not however, stop the House from doing so.

An Impeachment Inquiry is reasonable action at this point in time. The transcript summary shows Trump said “ I would like you to do us a favor though.....”

Old 10-09-2019, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Trump is doing a good job of convincing people he should be removed from office.
Trump is the source of most Trump News.

If he knocked off the Tweet and tamed his rhetoric, public favorability would soar.

People are increasingly exhausted.

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 10-09-2019 at 07:39 AM..

Old 10-09-2019, 07:43 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,706,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
That is certainly a remarkable shift in public sentiment. Much of it probably has to do with the totally infantile reaction Trump has displayed - the tweets, the rage, the heliport rants. Yesterday's betrayal of our loyal Kurdish allies will only add fuel to the fire as will today's ordering of the diplomat who is the other end of the text messages not to appear before the committee. Sure makes Trump look guilty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
You do realize 911 was a response to our involvement in the ME?

We only make ourselves a target when we meddle in the business of others.

If the Kurds mean so much to you, buy your kids a rifle and plane ticket.
So it seems you actually agree with Ponderosa, Pedro. Trump meddles in everything from mayors who are trying to help their cities balance their budgets, to police forces attempting to promote community involvement, to the NFL and on and on and he deserves the heat.

Kurds supported us for years, doing the heavy lifting in the fight against ISIS. And now Trump stabs them in the back.

His meddling in world affairs of which he knows nothing, actually make the USA less secure and financially worse off and now our nation has an extremely diminished standing in the arena of diplomacy.

I don't ever recall since its creation, a NATO country threatening to destroy another NATO country. That's where we are and Putin must be laughing. Trump and his chaos.

President Trump has made himself a target of justified criticism and impeachment as well as the suggestions that he be removed under the 25th amendment. Ponderosa has rightly pointed out the shift in public sentiment. We citizens know this: A turkey is flying the plane.

Last edited by corpgypsy; 10-09-2019 at 08:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies