Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2019, 03:04 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,943,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Other students have rights, too, which you are completely ignoring.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/03/n...ptions-ny.html

"Lorna R. Lewis, the superintendent of the Plainview-Old Bethpage Central School District in Long Island, helped lobby for the law as president of a state superintendents council. She estimated that of the 65 children who had religious exemptions in her district, about 10 would likely be home schooled.

'We have 5,000 students in my district,' she said. 'If there are 10 that have hard-standing vaccine adverse parents, I have 4,990 others whose safety I have to think about.'

Parents have already asked that their children not be placed in classes with unvaccinated children, Ms. Lewis said. 'I think in a society you have to do what’s best for the good of all,' she added, 'and I think that’s what this law does.'”

As I said before, the antivax activists who interfered with public health efforts to stop the outbreaks of measles in NY should not be surprised at the unintended consequences of their efforts in the form of the new law.

I still think Ameer should get an exemption.
If people are afraid that their children will get sick and die if they are out in public, they need to stay home. It really is that simple. There is no way to tell if that kid that used the swing before the other kid was vaccinated or not. There is no way to tell if the kids at the grocery store on line in front of you are vaccinated.

Your fear? Is *your* issue. No one else's. Your fear does not dictate everyone else's choices.

Old 10-18-2019, 03:07 PM

37,112 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
If people are afraid that their children will get sick and die if they are out in public, they need to stay home. It really is that simple. There is no way to tell if that kid that used the swing before the other kid was vaccinated or not. There is no way to tell if the kids at the grocery store on line in front of you are vaccinated.

Your fear? Is *your* issue. No one else's. Your fear does not dictate everyone else's choices.
The thing is that kids in a classroom are in close quarters for hours per day for the majority of the year. The younger ones do not cover coughs and sneezes properly or wash their hands often, so they share a lot of snot.

We who vaccinate accept the risk of getting things that are not preventable. Vaccines are safe and effective, so there is no reason to accept the risks of getting those.

Medical exemptions need to be limited to valid medical indications.

Old 10-18-2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:
The thing is that kids in a classroom are in close quarters for hours per day for the majority of the year. The younger ones do not cover coughs and sneezes properly or wash their hands often, so they share a lot of snot.

We who vaccinate accept the risk of getting things that are not preventable. Vaccines are safe and effective, so there is no reason to accept the risks of getting those.

Old 10-18-2019, 03:20 PM

Quote:

Tell that to Ameer's parents.

Old 10-18-2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Tell that to Ameer's parents.
I have already said I think he qualifies for an exemption. What else do you want me to say? I already also told you what I would do to see if I could get the exemption if he were my child.

You can stop trying to play gotcha. It is not working.

Old 10-18-2019, 04:29 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,743,804 times
Quote:
Other students have rights, too, which you are completely ignoring.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/03/n...ptions-ny.html

"Lorna R. Lewis, the superintendent of the Plainview-Old Bethpage Central School District in Long Island, helped lobby for the law as president of a state superintendents council. She estimated that of the 65 children who had religious exemptions in her district, about 10 would likely be home schooled.

'We have 5,000 students in my district,' she said. 'If there are 10 that have hard-standing vaccine adverse parents, I have 4,990 others whose safety I have to think about.'

Parents have already asked that their children not be placed in classes with unvaccinated children, Ms. Lewis said. 'I think in a society you have to do what’s best for the good of all,' she added, 'and I think that’s what this law does.'”

As I said before, the antivax activists who interfered with public health efforts to stop the outbreaks of measles in NY should not be surprised at the unintended consequences of their efforts in the form of the new law.

I still think Ameer should get an exemption.
I’m not ignoring anyone’s rights. The fact the medical exemptions were already extremely low, less then 1% says to me that there was not a strong need to tighten up medical exemptions and take the decision away from the doctor. If you favor using ACIP’s blanket list of contraindications as the only acceptable reasons for medical exemptions for vaccines then you absolutely do not think that Ameer should get an exemption. If you really do think he should get an exemption then you would not favor this law.

Old 10-18-2019, 04:35 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,743,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Because they are communicable diseases and people used to die from these diseases. I do not want my infant grandchild, who is too young to be vaccinated, to die because you decide to not vaccinate your child.
Some of the Vaccine preventable diseases are highly treatable in the US. Worrying about chicken pox, measles, mumps really isn’t worth stressing over. If your kids and grandkids and yourself are vaccinated, your odds are already pretty darn good. With an infant, it’s probably best to limit contact with others outside of the family until their immune system is more developed and/or they are vaccinated. School mandates are not going to protect them from the general public at large anyway. A lot of adults are not up to date on vaccines. Most adults haven’t had half the amount of vaccines that kids today are required to get. Heck, Ameer was vaccinated up tot eh age of two. He has way more vaccines already then you or I ever had as children.

There are also other communicable diseases circulating in schools all the time. Norovirus, strep throat, hand foot and mouth disease, colds, etc. Communicable disease is unavoidable.

Old 10-18-2019, 04:37 PM

3,321 posts, read 1,100,375 times
Quote:

You don’t like our society and rules?

There’s the door———>

Old 10-18-2019, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Some of the Vaccine preventable diseases are highly treatable in the US. Worrying about chicken pox, measles, mumps really isn’t worth stressing over. If your kids and grandkids and yourself are vaccinated, your odds are already pretty darn good. With an infant, it’s probably best to limit contact with others outside of the family until their immune system is more developed and/or they are vaccinated. School mandates are not going to protect them from the general public at large anyway. A lot of adults are not up to date on vaccines. Most adults haven’t had half the amount of vaccines that kids today are required to get. Heck, Ameer was vaccinated up tot eh age of two. He has way more vaccines already then you or I ever had as children.

There are also other communicable diseases circulating in schools all the time. Norovirus, strep throat, hand foot and mouth disease, colds, etc. Communicable disease is unavoidable.
Aside from chickenpox, there is no specific treatment for the diseases you listed. All that can be done is to try to treat complications, and that is not always possible. There is no treatment that will prevent encephalitis or SSPE from measles or sterility from mumps or the other permanent handicaps from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I’m not ignoring anyone’s rights. The fact the medical exemptions were already extremely low, less then 1% says to me that there was not a strong need to tighten up medical exemptions and take the decision away from the doctor. If you favor using ACIP’s blanket list of contraindications as the only acceptable reasons for medical exemptions for vaccines then you absolutely do not think that Ameer should get an exemption. If you really do think he should get an exemption then you would not favor this law.
I can indeed favor the law and still think that the person who denied the exemption for Ameer is wrong. The reason the medical exemptions were tightened up is because they were being abused. If the fraudulent exemptions were evenly distributed across the state they would not threaten herd immunity and there would be no problem. When more than the expected number of children in a single school have medical exemptions, then it is highly likely that some of those kids have no medical problem that would make vaccination inadvisable. You can thank those parents for the new law.

Old 10-18-2019, 05:34 PM

Quote:
I can indeed favor the law and still think that the person who denied the exemption for Ameer is wrong. The reason the medical exemptions were tightened up is because they were being abused. If the fraudulent exemptions were evenly distributed across the state they would not threaten herd immunity and there would be no problem. When more than the expected number of children in a single school have medical exemptions, then it is highly likely that some of those kids have no medical problem that would make vaccination inadvisable. You can thank those parents for the new law.
Well, no. We can thank the big pharma vaccine lobbyists for it.

No one was threatened by the <1% of kids who didn't get vaccines. If you are afraid, that's YOUR fear. No one else's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies