Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2019, 12:46 PM

36,163 posts, read 30,629,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
You know that paid maternity leave (usually 10-months or longer) is the norm in most developed countries, right?
Which most. Looking at one study of 21 high economic countries, Germany, Sweden and Norway were the only countries that provided 10 or more paid months of parental leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2019, 12:50 PM

51,965 posts, read 52,419,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Americans pay almost as much as other citizens of the developed world do, yet they receive far less. Part of that is because of the incessant dummycrat worship of illegals, but let's be real here. For the considerably lower level of social services and benefits (and even things like consumer/worker protections), Americans should be paying WAY less in taxes than they are.
We pay less here, someone posted a chart here a little while ago showing that the Nordic countries were all paying much higher rates of total taxes.

I do agree though that we do pay much more than we should be for the level of service we receive. I don't know why the Dem front runners are putting out the welcome mat for the rest of the world to come here. We can't take care of what we've got properly, in my opinion. So sure, let's bring in tons of low skilled workers that tend have large families, let's just bring in all in, screw the struggling people we have here right now. Let's make our poor and low skilled workers compete with more low skilled workers. Sounds like a humane thing to do to me.

Old 10-09-2019, 12:53 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,845,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Which most. Looking at one study of 21 high economic countries, Germany, Sweden and Norway were the only countries that provided 10 or more paid months of parental leave.
Canada offers 12-months of maternity leave at 55% of pay.

Old 10-09-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Americans pay almost as much as other citizens of the developed world do, yet they receive far less. Part of that is because of the incessant dummycrat worship of illegals, but let's be real here. For the considerably lower level of social services and benefits (and even things like consumer/worker protections), Americans should be paying WAY less in taxes than they are.
Do they? I havent dove into it but a quick look Germany 42%, Sweden 56%, Norway 45%. Am I missing something?

Old 10-09-2019, 01:01 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,814,364 times
Leave Norway out of any comparisons. They reap a LOT of money per capita from exporting oil and gas. That money is starting to decline though.

Old 10-09-2019, 01:06 PM

78 posts, read 37,194 times
Why is it that liberals are always overly generous with these entitlements from afar, yet, whenever videos surface of them being confronted and being asked for money on the spot to support the causes they champion from afar they always make an excuse or try to change the subject.

Old 10-09-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
Canada offers 12-months of maternity leave at 55% of pay.
Which is equivalent to about 4 months paid leave. Its up to 15 weeks paid at 55% of average weekly pay if I understand correctly, which maxes out at 543/week for 15 weeks.

Old 10-09-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I think it is a great proposition. Families are the basis of a society and IMO in America we have more crime and more issues because we don't value family like other modern nations and the importance of bonding with children. Children do better when they have a parent at home with them. As another poster said, in most of Europe this is standard.

On salary amounts, IMO that is not what most people will get. I don't like her methods for the federal tax amount though. IMO she should come up with a better funding method. The responsibility should be shared, in part by government though.
But isnt it the children brought up in single parent homes, often no one working that end up involved in most crimes. Not sure how federal mandated 6 month parental leave for working or duel income homes is going to offset the crime statistics.

IMO the responsibility should be on the employee. Offer voluntary maternity insurance. If you are of childbearing age you can pay into an insurance fund that will cover your paid leave. Those who are not going to reproduce or choose not to dont pay into or receive benefits from it.

Old 10-09-2019, 01:18 PM

18,503 posts, read 15,437,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
It is my understanding both the employer and employee contribute to the premium. Rates may vary by Province.

Insurance dates back to ancient times. Commercial insurance markets have existed for nearly 700 years.

ALL insurance mutualizes ( socializes) risks.
Employers in Canada do not contribute a separate maternity/parental premium. It is part of the EI ( employment insurance ) that they pay into for all employees, whether they take maternity/parental leave or not.

EDIT: I should add, that employers can offer leave benefits on top of what is offered by EI. My company did, letting people put the holiday time onto the leave, and even giving some extra paid time off.

Last edited by Natnasci; 10-09-2019 at 02:39 PM..

Old 10-09-2019, 01:19 PM

18,503 posts, read 15,437,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
Why do we reward people for having children??

I just don’t get it.
It's not a reward. It's just common sense. Children bond better and do better with having a full time parent around for their first year.

It benefits society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies