Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2019, 08:46 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,785,636 times

Advertisements

Sweet Jesus.

https://twitter.com/joshrogin/status...80957066842119
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2019, 08:49 PM

8,494 posts, read 3,334,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Actually the sad part is that people are willing to sacrifice all 50 US soldiers in country because they think the Kurds are of more importance. The sad thing is that some would sacrifice over 6 decades of alliance just because they hate Trump.
The blame is on Obama for involving us in a conflict that was none of our business, for invading a country that didn't want us there and for what? So that we could play world cop? At the cost of millions of tax dollars a day, Syria is a very expensive do nothing for nothing war.
The American-Turkish alliance sure looks like it is now gasping for breath. What did you expect? Trump first sacrificed the Kurds. And now because of widespread Congressional and voter condemnation - even from the Base - he's playing tough guy with the sanctions. Turkey is next to go. Trump will be the last to stand, looking around bewildered saying "Who me," all the while tweeting like mad.

Old 10-14-2019, 08:51 PM

39,855 posts, read 26,477,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
On Monday (New York Times):

Syrians have placed government troops along the border in areas not yet occupied by the Turkish military. The Kurds continue the direct fight against the Turks. Turkish and Syrian forces are racing towards Manbij. Retreating American troops have taken fire from the Sunni extremists fighting with Turkey.

The Chairman of the Joints Chiefs of Staff spoke to his Russian counterpart about the deteriorating situation on the ground to try to secure American troop safety during the pull-out. Trump called for a cease-fire. Erdogan said in a speech today that a hoisted Turkish flag will not come down.

Pence is on his way to Ankara to negotiate. The Times of Israel reports the U.S. government (US DOE officials) began evaluating over the last few days what to do about the American tactical nuclear weapons in Turkey. They had been placed there as part of a U.S. commitment to defend Turkey as a fellow-NATO member against Russia. That sure seems foolish now with the weapons now called "hostage" by one of the officials. My understanding (another source) is they are secured with the meaning not literally hostage.
So far, things that have gone right are getting US troops out of harms way between yet another group of ME Muslims bent on killing each other. The dumbest thing you can blame on Trump-placing nuclear weapons in Turkey. Hard to believe that he would ever be stupid enough to do this.

Old 10-14-2019, 08:52 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,317,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
The American-Turkish alliance sure looks like it is now gasping for breath. What did you expect? Trump first sacrificed the Kurds. And now because of widespread Congressional and voter condemnation - even from the Base - he's playing tough guy with the sanctions. Turkey is next to go. Trump will be the last to stand, looking around bewildered saying "Who me," all the while tweeting like mad.
Trump is THE BEST Russian agent Putin has (or has EVER had). Step by step Trump is dismantling the whole American alliance structure.
Putin sure got his money's worth.

Ken

Old 10-14-2019, 09:32 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,990,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
So far, things that have gone right are getting US troops out of harms way between yet another group of ME Muslims bent on killing each other. The dumbest thing you can blame on Trump-placing nuclear weapons in Turkey. Hard to believe that he would ever be stupid enough to do this.
It wasn't the goal of reducing or removing troops -- it is the methodology that was chaotic, impulsive, dangerous, questionable, unprecedented, unnecessary.

It is a mess and it didn't need to be.

Old 10-14-2019, 09:33 PM

30,996 posts, read 22,039,678 times
Quote:
As soon as Erdogan came into power we should should have started to pull out our military out of Turkey. Erdogan is trying to revive Turkey's Muslim Ottoman roots, and is no friend of the West. It's too bad the coup against him failed.

Old 10-14-2019, 09:38 PM

30,996 posts, read 22,039,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
It wasn't the goal of reducing or removing troops -- it is the methodology that was chaotic, impulsive, dangerous, questionable, unprecedented, unnecessary.

It is a mess and it didn't need to be.
"It is a mess and it didnt need to be" For sure, too bad the Peace prize winning fool got us into the mess.

Old 10-14-2019, 09:41 PM

7,676 posts, read 5,519,883 times
Quote:
He didn’t. The bombs are a relic of the Cold War. From this link which I posted earlier today:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...syria-invasion

Quote:
Plans to remove the bombs have frequently been considered but never put into action. Officials are not supposed to discuss the existence of forward-deployed bombs in Turkey and four other Nato member states but they are an open secret. They are a cold war relic with no operational function in a war plan. To deploy them the US would have to fly in planes to carry them. Turkey has no planes certified to carry nuclear weapons.

Discussions within Nato over the past three decades about withdrawing them have foundered on opposition from member states including Turkey, who saw them as valuable symbols of US commitment to their defence through extended deterrent.
I wonder where the U.S. would fly 50 nuclear bombs though.

Old 10-14-2019, 10:24 PM

37,952 posts, read 17,848,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Who, me?

I voted for Ron Paul in 2008.
But not 2012?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
How about you? What do you think your boy McCain would have done
Wrong person. I got into the Tea Party at ground zero in 2007 and never left.

Old 10-14-2019, 11:02 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,591,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
We aren't "hightailing" it out of this mess. Who are you trying to kid?

We are tucking our tails, and slinking away.
When is the next flight to Syria? any volunteers?
I didn't think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies