Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2019, 10:44 AM

29,515 posts, read 22,653,459 times

Advertisements

I disagree.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...31d_story.html

Quote:
Tipping is not about you.

When eating out at a restaurant, many diners believe that they should tip on a sliding scale based on the service they receive — good or bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2019, 12:14 PM

2,974 posts, read 1,984,259 times
...i always leave a good tip as we eat out at the same few restaurants...don't want a dirty finger stuck in my soup or some phlegm in my gravy...my wife was a waitress for a few years when we first got married, some stories!!....if you've ever watched the movie "Waiting", and thought it was all made up, think again...

...however, if it's a place i will never eat at again, i'll tip according to the service...

Old 10-09-2019, 12:14 PM

1,406 posts, read 801,246 times
Nonsense article. I waited tables for years and took pride in doing a great job. I earned my (then) 15% or more when I got it. If I provided poor service I would expect a lower tip, or none at all, and would have felt guilty accepting a good tip for loust service.

Old 10-09-2019, 12:18 PM

10,531 posts, read 6,165,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

Not a subscriber so can't see the story.

Could you post a short quote (longer than the one you posted)?

Old 10-09-2019, 12:19 PM

447 posts, read 557,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
...i always leave a good tip as we eat out at the same few restaurants...don't want a dirty finger stuck in my soup or some phlegm in my gravy...my wife was a waitress for a few years when we first got married, some stories!!....if you've ever watched the movie "Waiting", and thought it was all made up, think again...

...however, if it's a place i will never eat at again, i'll tip according to the service...
If your waiter would stuck a dirty finger in your soup or some phlegm in your gravy because you do not tip enough, are you sure he will not do that when he is not in the right mood?

Old 10-09-2019, 12:23 PM

20,343 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Meh, we'll still use a sliding scale based upon the quality of the service.

I can't even remember the last time we had poor service to be honest and we go out frequently.

Old 10-09-2019, 12:23 PM

10,531 posts, read 6,165,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guxu View Post
If your waiter would stuck a dirty finger in your soup or some phlegm in your gravy because you do not tip enough, are you sure he will not do that when he is not in the right mood?

Frankly I waitressed for years and years in all kinds of restaurants.

Never saw anybody do this kind of thing, ever.

People are better than that.

Old 10-09-2019, 12:26 PM

17,304 posts, read 12,251,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Not a subscriber so can't see the story.

Could you post a short quote (longer than the one you posted)?
Incognito mode...

Basically you should not use a sliding scale based on performance because it's really just a direct labor charge pushed directly to the consumer by the owner. Prices should just be raised and do away with the need for tips.

They then say it's OK to tip more than 20% for excellent service...which kind of defeats their whole point.

Old 10-09-2019, 12:28 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
I don't care what the "system" is. Good service--good tip. Bad service--bad tip. Pretty simple (and I have worked at a restaurant) so am well aware that tips are needed because wages suck. In addition--lots of cash tips are never reported to the IRS--so tax free.

I much prefer countries where workers are paid a decent wage and any tip is greatly appreciated.

Old 10-09-2019, 12:33 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Unless I actually see the person spitting in my food, or taking it from the trash, or they cursed at me or yelled at me (has never happened), I will always leave a tip.

However, I will not tip 20% if someone isn't attentive. If I have to keep asking for things, they aren't getting what I tip good servers (which is typically far above 20% - and that's only because I've worked in the service industry, so I know what it's like to get a great tip, and I know what it's like to get nothing despite the great service I provided), but they will still get something.

I would never be so insulting to leave them pennies or a mere dollar - just p*$$ off with that and keep your lousy dollar or change. But they would get minimum 10% if they were horrible at their job.

The worst case scenario, which I've never actually experienced - of course they wouldn't get anything, but I don't think anyone would give them anything in those situations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies