Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2019, 09:21 AM

4,445 posts, read 1,435,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I don't think you can predict that unless you know more about the cafeteria and where it is. My guess is that people in the Google or Apple employee cafeteria would distribute themselves differently than at a Golden Corral in Alabama.
The common thread is they work together under a set of rules either real or understood. Put 100 people of different races who have no connection to each other and see how they distribute themselves.

If people gravitate towards others that look like them because of perceived safety, or other perceived commonalities, that suggests that racism is both primal and innate in a species.

Last edited by ncguy50; 10-20-2019 at 09:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2019, 12:45 PM

72,816 posts, read 62,143,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
Yes it is. Put 100 people who don't know each other in a cafeteria and see how they distribute themselves.
This is where I'm coming from. I've been the kind of person who has often had a hard time fitting in. I've found myself in situation where I didn't fit in with individuals of my own race. Put 100 people in a room, and I'll have trouble deciding. I'll look for someone with a similar personality as me, or someone who will like and accept me. In some cases, it's been someone of a different race than me. Sometimes it was the same race as me. I've pretty much learned that distributing myself based on race hasn't always served me well.

Old 10-20-2019, 12:55 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,454,529 times
Quote:
Yes it is. Put 100 people who don't know each other in a cafeteria and see how they distribute themselves.
Only people of lower intellect, like prisoners, do that. The more educated you are, the more inclusive you are. Prejudice comes from ignorance

Old 10-20-2019, 12:56 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,454,529 times
Quote:
The common thread is they work together under a set of rules either real or understood. Put 100 people of different races who have no connection to each other and see how they distribute themselves.

If people gravitate towards others that look like them because of perceived safety, or other perceived commonalities, that suggests that racism is both primal and innate in a species.
See post #256

Old 10-20-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
From my own experiences, racism is a deliberate behavior. If being a racist is so innate, then explain this. I'm Black and I can recall the my high school years. It disturbed me to see most of the Black kids sitting in one section and White kids everywhere else. I was that kid who didn't think "go sit with the Black kids". I got alot of flack from both Black and White kids, for different reasons though. It was perfectly normal for me to sit with a group of White females. In fact, I did that one year (they also happened to be seniors while I was a sophomore). The one commonality we all had was being Christian. Another factor was that it was the lunch table where I was included, accepted. Race had nothing to do with it. There was nothing primal about it. I learned I could do these things. Fight my way to a table, or find those who accepted me.

Old 10-20-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Only people of lower intellect, like prisoners, do that. The more educated you are, the more inclusive you are. Prejudice comes from ignorance
Yes and no.

On the yes part. I have watched alot of videos about prison. The racism in prison in intense. And in some ways, high school isn't that far off from prison. It's not intended to function like prison, but it does to an extent. The meanest, most bigoted kids I ran into were some of the dumbest. It was the crazy "redneck" types who had no problem calling me the "N" word to my face. It was the kids who were find with being idiots until I opened my mouth and participated in a class discussion (or started one sometimes by mentioning some interesting fact). A few times I would get told to "shut up" (not by the teacher though, thankfully) or the like. And then it was some of the "hood rat wannabes" Black kids who made fun of me because I was "lame", a "nerd" or because I didn't "sound Black" when I talked (but even a few White kids would make jokes about me "acting White").

And the no part. Some people are very prejudice, but can be passive aggressive about it. I found this out going to college. I definitely found my niche in college, found people (of all races) that I could relate to. I also ran into people who were prejudice, but of a different variety. These would be individuals who would say things like "not trying to sound racist, but...", or "I'm not racist, but...." , some racial joke, or persons who were kind of passive-aggressive when making some racial remarks. One guy said "if I was talking on the phone with you, I wouldn't know you were Black". I found it to be a stupid remark.

Prejudice can come from ignorance. One the other hand, prejudice can also come from simply being morally bankrupt. And it often starts at home. It's not just an issue of ignorance. It's an issue of being morally bankrupt for some people. When you know better and are shown better, and you still choose to be prejudice, it's a moral problem.

Old 10-20-2019, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
From my own experiences, racism is a deliberate behavior. If being a racist is so innate, then explain this. I'm Black and I can recall the my high school years. It disturbed me to see most of the Black kids sitting in one section and White kids everywhere else. I was that kid who didn't think "go sit with the Black kids". I got alot of flack from both Black and White kids, for different reasons though. It was perfectly normal for me to sit with a group of White females. In fact, I did that one year (they also happened to be seniors while I was a sophomore). The one commonality we all had was being Christian. Another factor was that it was the lunch table where I was included, accepted. Race had nothing to do with it. There was nothing primal about it. I learned I could do these things. Fight my way to a table, or find those who accepted me.
Were you ever accused of being too white? I understand is a thing in today's schools.

Nevermind. Saw post 259

One question though: In a room of 100 random people of different races and you do not know anybody, how do you determine who has the personality who best fits with yours?

Last edited by ncguy50; 10-20-2019 at 01:42 PM..

Old 10-20-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Is learned behavior the same as natural impulses? You chose your company based on prior experiences. An animal always wants to be with its own /pride/herd/flock etc, but if that group continually attacks a member, that member will fall back from the group and may even eventually isolate itself.

Old 10-20-2019, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Were you ever accused of being too white? I understand is a thing in today's schools.

Nevermind. Saw post 259

One question though: In a room of 100 random people of different races and you do not know anybody, how do you determine who has the personality who best fits with yours?
The stuff I wrote in post 259 is one reason the room of 100 random people of different races would present something different to me. I'm kind of nerdy anyway, so there is also a little bit of social awkwardness. The best I could do is see who behaves like what. Race still wouldn't be the big qualifier for me. Why? 33 years of living has shown me I'm going to have problems no matter who I'm around.

Old 10-20-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Is learned behavior the same as natural impulses? You chose your company based on prior experiences. An animal always wants to be with its own /pride/herd/flock etc, but if that group continually attacks a member, that member will fall back from the group and may even eventually isolate itself.
I don't base everyone on impulse. For me, learned behavior is a big factor. I've been the kid who had to find whoever would like him/accept him. I learned I could be rejected by members of my own race, or people of other races. I just do whatever I want to do and find whoever likes me and accepts me. And over the years, those who fit that definition have been of different races. My prior experiences have shown me that I can be made fun of/ridiculed by members of my own race, as well as members of other races. And for ridiculous crap. I've been that person who has fallen out of the group/isolated myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies