Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2019, 06:11 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,087,720 times

Advertisements

I will say this again. If diversity is so great, why don't Mexicans want anything to do with it???

'We don't want you here': Mexicans protest against migrant caravan*

When are the people here shrieking about how "xenophobic" white America going to admit xenophobia happens in all cultures - healthy cultures?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2019, 06:27 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,355,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
I will say this again. If diversity is so great, why don't Mexicans want anything to do with it???

'We don't want you here': Mexicans protest against migrant caravan*

When are the people here shrieking about how "xenophobic" white America going to admit xenophobia happens in all cultures - healthy cultures?
Red herring fallacy argument. We're talking about the diversity here in the USA, a country which is built on immigration and is stronger for it. Go start a thread about Mexico if you like.

Again - diversity is here to stay here in the USA - it's a reality, whether you like it or not.

Last edited by silverkris; 11-07-2019 at 06:48 PM..

Old 11-07-2019, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I don't care why you're hostile towards immigration. I understand hostility towards illegals. That I can understand. For someone who comes here the legal way, obeys the law, makes himself/herself a productive member of this society, that person I don't have a problem with. Having hostility towards that kind of person, I don't care why someone would have hostility to that kind of immigrant.
Well, that poster is also quite hostile towards black people, most of whom aren't immigrants. He's been on record for declaring that civil rights laws are unconstitutional.

Old 11-07-2019, 06:45 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,871,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Well, that poster is also quite hostile towards black people, most of whom aren't immigrants. He's been on record for declaring that civil rights laws are unconstitutional.
So what? Whether they are a good idea as practiced or not, the Supreme Court is on record of declaring certain civil rights laws such as government compelling private actors and property owners are unconstitutional and nothing relevant in the constitution had changed since those precedence were overturned based on new theories and interpretations. I'm also on record with saying under certain circumstance giving black Americans a mild boost was ok, but not other minorities.

And to get it straight, I'm "hostile" to what I deem hostile no matter how the left tries to spin and sugar coat it.

Old 11-07-2019, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I already explained it that legal immigration and legal foreign workers also depress wages and working conditions, reduce opportunities, increase competition for resources, and help drive up the cost of living, dilute/counter others' political influence (if immigrants) etc. So it doesn't really matter to me whether you understand or agree with that or believe it's justified to oppose it.
Your claims aren't supported by much of the research in the field.

Here is a excerpt of a study from the Cato Institute, which is NOT a lefty organization that pretty much says there is minimal effect on wages due to immigration and negates the study which is often cited to support your position:

"Our research produced two broad results. First, when Borjas’s methods are extended a few years, the wage elasticity of immigration is −0.2 rather than −0.3 to −0.4. Second, Borjas’s assumption of perfect worker substitutability within cells cannot be correct as the wages of men and women both increased as women entered the workforce from 1960 to 2010. Empirical methods that relax the two assumptions described above likely lead to estimates that more accurately describe the impacts of immigration on native wages and that are either very small or zero"

https://www.cato.org/cato-journal/fa...n-reduce-wages

Other sources also show little or no effect:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/whats-i...t-on-us-wages/

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...-for-americans

Old 11-07-2019, 06:49 PM

Quote:
So what? Whether they are a good idea as practiced or not, the Supreme Court is on record of declaring certain civil rights laws such as government compelling private actors and property owners are unconstitutional and nothing relevant in the constitution had changed since those precedence were overturned based on new theories and interpretations.

And to get it straight, I'm "hostile" to what I deem hostile no matter how the left tries to spin and sugar coat it.
Miss me with the principled mumbo-jumbo. Just be honest with who you are.

Old 11-07-2019, 06:56 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,871,874 times
Quote:
Your claims aren't supported by much of the research in the field.

Here is a excerpt of a study from the Cato Institute, which is NOT a lefty organization that pretty much says there is minimal effect on wages due to immigration and negates the study which is often cited to support your position:
Cato institute is very much for open borders and for free trade, and couldn't care less about worker's wages. Who do you think funds them? I don't put value in anything they claim.

Last edited by mtl1; 11-07-2019 at 07:09 PM..

Old 11-07-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Cato institute is very much for open borders and for free trade, and could careless about worker's wages. Who do you think funds them? I don't put value in anything they claim.
That's just cause you don't like what they have to say - it doesn't negate the study and Borja's study has also been refuted by other studies. You'll have to do better than to stick your fingers in your ears and say nyah, nyah, nyah...

Old 11-07-2019, 07:18 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
I know what you're talking about. I remember said person's posts going back to 2015. I've seen that hostility from said person. One reason I don't care if "diversity" or "integration" threatens said person. Not my problem. Individuals like that, whatever.

Old 11-07-2019, 07:24 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,087,720 times
Quote:
Red herring fallacy argument. We're talking about the diversity here in the USA, a country which is built on immigration and is stronger for it. Go start a thread about Mexico if you like.

Again - diversity is here to stay here in the USA - it's a reality, whether you like it or not.
Garbage. You expect only the West to take the burden of this alleged joy of diversity, and only the West. Complete hypocrisy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies