Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2019, 08:03 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times

Advertisements

My local walmart put socks and underwear in locked cases because of the theft problems. I think it's ridiculous but businesses will take measures to prevent theft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2019, 08:06 AM

29,464 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enraeh View Post
The thieves will move on, shrink will go down, enclosures go away, thieves come back, lather rinse repeat.

“Don’t you know
That it’s true
That for me
And for you
The world is a ghetto”
That song goes way back....

Old 10-10-2019, 08:06 AM

88,989 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Employee theft does happen, and even happens coordinating with customers. However, the vast majority of theft is by customers. Retail stores, some more than others, have made it pretty difficult for an employee to physically take something out of the store.
True, though it still happens. Inside jobs account for about 30% of all shrinkage. Sometimes cases of merchandise are checked in from the corporate truck but then somehow never make it to the stock shelves in the back (of the store), etc.

Old 10-10-2019, 08:09 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
While I understand they're trying to reduce shrinkage, how do they know it isn't an inside job? Cases of merchandise go missing now and then? Know what I mean?
One does not become the largest grocer in the US without knowing who is stealing, what is being stolen, how goods are stolen, when they are stolen and which stores experience the most shrinkage. Security is tight in relieving areas and employees know their every move is being monitored.

Kroger chose to put its most vulnerable inventory behind a cage with highly controlled exits to better manage inventory and reduce shrinkage.

I have seen similar “ cages” at some Walmarts, in Florida. I have also noticed that Some grocers that sell beer, wine and sometimes spirits, often do so in a well secured areas with separate check outs.

Old 10-10-2019, 08:09 AM

2,828 posts, read 824,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Yes, and for a few years now. There was a while ago a story about how they locked up "black beauty products" in a retail store because they kept getting stolen, and people cried racism over it.
Exactly, the numbers don't lie, black beauty products aren't being stolen by white patrons and at about 3 times the rate.

Old 10-10-2019, 08:10 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,660,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
It costs more money to enclose that area. If there was not an actual reason for the enclosure, they would not have spent the money.

It's like someone crying "foul" after being arrested (legitimately) for robbing a bank. The angst and outrage should be directed at those who are perpetrating crimes that required the enclosure. However, in the era of political correctness, one never approaches such a situation rationally.

Perhaps the patrons of Kroger should stop stealing and perhaps they would be treated differently.

Last edited by hawkeye2009; 10-10-2019 at 08:23 AM..

Old 10-10-2019, 08:14 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,442,190 times
I wonder if they also feel that stores with a roll down barrier or bars on the windows in high crime areas is racists too.

Old 10-10-2019, 08:16 AM

2,828 posts, read 824,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie the heartbreaker View Post
Kroger is putting the enclosed aisles only in the black neighborhoods, but not the white ones. That is is why the black people are crying foul. They would not have a problem with it if it was being done everywhere, but by only doing it in their area, they are pointing out how it is racist. So to answer your question, Kroger would be the racists in this case.

I thought I better add that this is what I got from the black customers in the video. I know Kroger is doing this because of increased thefts, which happen to be in the black neighborhood. The customers who are black are offended since they feel they are being singled out.
Heres the bottom line, quit stealing and there won't be a problem. They are not putting these enclosed areas in stores because they are in black areas, it is because they are high crime areas. They are protecting their bottom line.

Old 10-10-2019, 08:17 AM

6,968 posts, read 2,699,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHenriques1147 View Post
In today's society, we start with the presumption that everything is racist until proven otherwise.

Of course, racists aren't allowed to make their case, so the only ones that can say whether this is racist are the ones making the accusation.

Might as well bring back witch drownings where you test if someone is a witch by submersing them under water. If they drown, they're not a witch. If they survive, they are a witch. Then you can burn them.

The funny thing is that it is not illegal to be racist.

Old 10-10-2019, 08:18 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,956,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Kroger is not going to close down.

It is the largest grocer in the US by revenue and 5th largest in the world. It operates 2700 grocery stores in 38 states and employs 443,000 people, mostly under collective bargaining agreements. It does business under several names in different markets.

Kroger’s acquired the Marianos brand name in my neck of the woods. This was an independent upscale local chain known for having a grand piano/ pianist in each store. Changes have been ongoing. Fans complain about the Krogerization.

Competition amongst grocers in my neck of the woods is cut throat. I am within 10 minutes of 25 grocers, not including CVS and Walgreens that have expanded into groceries. Online shopping and home delivery are gaining traction. Then there’s the grocers that sell high end specialty beer/ wine by the glass to shoppers.
Actually, there are several signs suggesting Kroger is having financial problems. Layoffs are usually (though not always) a red flag that a company is in trouble. And Walmart and Amazon's suucess in ecommerce are causing Kroger problems.

https://www.investopedia.com/kroger-...iative-4588551

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/why-k...170500763.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies