Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2019, 10:24 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azureth View Post
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...h-reasons.html

What do you expect from the generation that can't walk out of their home without getting "triggered" over every damn thing and quickly run and cry in their safe spaces? I feel ashamed to be part of the same generation as these crybabies.

I'm just talking about millenials though, given how very young they are, I really don't think it's fair to include the Gen Zers who are just now graduating HS and getting into college in this.
I’m a millennial and I make no bones about the primary reason for leaving my last job was watching out for my well-being. I was lucky to have a new job to go to when I left but the backup plan was starting over in another city and couch surfing. Staying at that job was not an option I literally could live with.

There ain’t a damn thing weak about me. Grew up in the hood and a tough home life. I’m not going to waste my life in a situation I cannot handle mentally. People are more aware of watching out for their mental health and more awareness is a GOOD thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2019, 10:36 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Case in point ^^^

Trying to belittle a generation because they make healthy choices that seem "weak" to you only exposes your own weaknesses.

Azureth, tell us a little about your own professional life? Are you secure, happy and strong? Have you ever held a job in fact?

Last edited by zentropa; 10-11-2019 at 11:44 AM..

Old 10-11-2019, 10:50 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I suspect a decent many of them are lacking influence from their Dads/Grandfathers, and I am not talking about just the boys.
The wisdom and instruction of sucking it up and getting on with the twists and turns life that will be thrown at them, is severely lacking.

Instead they have only one influence of making excuses for their inappropriate behavior, and how their angels (who were raised "the best way they could be" by a single Mom) are not to be blamed, is a large part of the problem.

Like it or not liberals, having both a natural disciplinarian and a nurturer are essential to raising hardy kids who can cope and succeed in the game of life.
Most would agree having kids raised by single Dads alone would not be beneficial. Yet PC has taught society not to criticize single Moms for their lack of proper upbringing.

`
I was raised by two parents, and my dad was the one who taught me to never take crap from anyone for too long. He emphasized the importance of taking action and responsibility for one's own life, which includes changing jobs if the current one is miserable.

I've had one job where I had to do this, where I had a boss who expected me to work for her nearly around the clock (it was supposed to be a part time job, yet she demanded far more than standard full-time hours), leaving screaming vulgar messages on my phone if I had the audacity to fall asleep at 3am, and one time even showed up unannounced at my apartment trying to buzz in over and over during an evening I specifically agreed with her to take off. I think she called me a "stupid b****/wh***" more than she addressed me by my actual name.

No, I wasn't a hooker or involved with drugs. I was a content writer for her website. Or at least I was at first, until she kept adding more and more responsibilities with managing her site/business.

At 5'10, my normal weight is 125 lbs. At that job, I was down to 105. When I finally had the chance to meet my parents for brunch, my dad got really upset and asked me WTF I had done to myself. When I told him about my job, he demanded that I call that lady right then and there and quit.

I found another job soon after. Never had an issue like that since, but if I do, I won't wait until I'm nearly dead again to change my situation.

Old 10-11-2019, 11:02 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
What this article doesn't point out is that the older generations were less likely to leave a job for any reason. People don't stay at one company for 30-40 years anymore. Remember, boomers are the last generation where things like pensions were offered. The younger generations have much less incentive to stay at jobs they don't like.
Yeah, but I don’t think it is any more common now than it is with older generations. I would say 95% of my last department quit because the department head was awful, and there were people in the department ranging in age from Millennials to Boomers. An (earlier) boomer in that group had left his prior job because it was literally killing him. He had gained so much weight from the stress that it was causing health problems. In my current job, we have a lot of people who come into the job because their old jobs were too stressful, and we have a range in age from late boomer to Millennial.

Old 10-11-2019, 12:33 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
I’m a baby boomer but I got enough respect for myself I won’t put up with a piece of **** boss for too damn long. Why would anyone with decent job prospects?

I think us boomers just don’t think of it in the same manner when we quit lousy jobs.

Old 10-11-2019, 01:10 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Well, this is another thread that I think really shows the difference between liberals and conservatives.

Liberals seem to feel that personal happiness matters more than being financially self-supporting, while conservatives seem to think the reverse.

My opinion is that if a job is making someone miserable, they should quit it as soon as they can find another one that supports them without having to rely on any kind of government assistance -- but not before then.
This isn't an issue that should be filtered through stereotypes of political ideologies, which aren't particularly accurate. Folks should look out for themselves and make choices that are right for their situation - period.

What does government assistance come into it? If you voluntarily resign from a job, you aren't eligible for UI.

Old 10-11-2019, 01:23 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
I know tons of older people (not Millennials or Gen z) that have taken lengthy 'stress leaves" from work.

The younger generation just quits . . and goes somewhere better instead of staying in a job in which they are miserable.

Good for them.

Old 10-11-2019, 04:15 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,362,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post

What does government assistance come into it? If you voluntarily resign from a job, you aren't eligible for UI.
Just to answer your question, many people who are "low income" qualify for SNAP without having to disclose anything about their job history.

Old 10-11-2019, 04:18 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,362,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I'm confused by this post. Haven't almost all of us changed jobs because we were unhappy with the previous one? Call it stress, depression, fed up, frustrated, driven crazy...I don't know anyone who has not done it. Younger generations with more exposure to modern psychology are more likely to identify these symptoms accurately as situational depression, anxiety, etc.
According to the link, the difference is in the numbers between the younger and Boomer generations. From the OP (my italics):

Half of millennials (ages 23 to 38) and 75 percent of Gen Zers (ages 18 to 22) said they quit because of conditions such as anxiety and depression. It's a stark contrast from the 10 percent of baby boomers (ages (ages 55 to 73) who said they'd done the same, according to the survey from Mind Share Partners, SAP, and Qualtrics.

But, to answer your question, I agree that MOST people, no matter what their age, have quit jobs at some point in their lives -- I personally have quit (as opposed to being fired) every one of my jobs except for the one I am in NOW, but they have been due to things like moving, being offered a better job, or because working a part-time day job and a full-time overnight job was just too physically exhausting (and especially because I was 55 at the time). Of course, I cannot speak for everyone of my generation, lol, but I have never quit a job due to any kind of mental health issue. And, yes, I have had several unpleasant bosses and until I retired and had "hobby" jobs, all of my jobs were stressful to at least some degree.

Old 10-11-2019, 04:38 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,555,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azureth View Post
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...h-reasons.html

What do you expect from the generation that can't walk out of their home without getting "triggered" over every damn thing and quickly run and cry in their safe spaces? I feel ashamed to be part of the same generation as these crybabies.

I'm just talking about millenials though, given how very young they are, I really don't think it's fair to include the Gen Zers who are just now graduating HS and getting into college in this.
The snowflakes are melting. I'm shocked AND appalled, and more than a little amused at these pathetic losers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies