Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2019, 04:50 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,113,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
The snowflakes are melting. I'm shocked AND appalled, and more than a little amused at these pathetic losers.
Meanwhile working at a hardware store, old dudes moan and groan because we’re out of a product. And the cus up a storm..

“I’m going to Lowe’s!”

Ooh, ow! I’m hurt! /s

Cool man, don’t let the door hit you on the way out.

Can’t forget Karen with the short blond hair, minivan and 2 kids who always wants to speak to the manager.

Bunch of crybabies heh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2019, 04:58 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,725,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
And, yes, I have had several unpleasant bosses and until I retired and had "hobby" jobs, all of my jobs were stressful to at least some degree.
You are describing the difference (and I am older Gen X) between people who leave stressful jobs and those who grit their teeth and tough it out. I'm not sure that is a generational thing. if anything, there are so many opportunities now to get out of an unpleasant situation due to low unemployment and lots of churn in the labor market.

Younger people tend to label stress, unhappiness etc, in psychological terms, hence more SAID they quit a job for mental health reasons, rather than older generations who would not characterize it with those words. It doesn't make younger people more "snowflakey" because they use different terminology to describe the same issues.

Old 10-11-2019, 05:21 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,353,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
You are describing the difference (and I am older Gen X) between people who leave stressful jobs and those who grit their teeth and tough it out. I'm not sure that is a generational thing. if anything, there are so many opportunities now to get out of an unpleasant situation due to low unemployment and lots of churn in the labor market.

Younger people tend to label stress, unhappiness etc, in psychological terms, hence more SAID they quit a job for mental health reasons, rather than older generations who would not characterize it with those words. It doesn't make younger people more "snowflakey" because they use different terminology to describe the same issues.
Okay, but my point is that with many of us "oldsters" who did have stressful jobs, most of us did not qui because of the stress or because they weren't meeting our psychological needs UNLESS we had a better job already lined up.

Now, of course, both you and I are speaking in generalities, and I will willingly admit that many Boomers DID quite they jobs for mental health reasons, but what the study shows (and I tend to agree with it) is that most of us would "tough it out" when it came to a bad job until they had something better lined up. And, btw, I think that is tha tis because the great majority of us had parents who were young during the Great Depression of the 30's who drilled it into us that you don't leave a job unless you had a very good reason for doing so -- and "not being happy", "not being respected", "being too rushed/stressed", or "not liking the boss" did not qualify as"very good reasons".

(Again, just speaking in generalities, and I do realize that what I posted certainly does not apply to all Boomers! There are and were plenty of "slackers" or excuse-makers in my generation, also! However, most of us who did "toe the line" had no respect for those who did not, I think.)

Old 10-11-2019, 07:36 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,113,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_N_1962 View Post
yeah no one ever said I wish I had just not cared and done whatever I wanted either. Re-careering is great but ultimately hard work is required at some point.
Hard work is different from poor behavior.

Old 10-11-2019, 07:40 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,113,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Okay, but my point is that with many of us "oldsters" who did have stressful jobs, most of us did not qui because of the stress or because they weren't meeting our psychological needs UNLESS we had a better job already lined up.

Now, of course, both you and I are speaking in generalities, and I will willingly admit that many Boomers DID quite they jobs for mental health reasons, but what the study shows (and I tend to agree with it) is that most of us would "tough it out" when it came to a bad job until they had something better lined up. And, btw, I think that is tha tis because the great majority of us had parents who were young during the Great Depression of the 30's who drilled it into us that you don't leave a job unless you had a very good reason for doing so -- and "not being happy", "not being respected", "being too rushed/stressed", or "not liking the boss" did not qualify as"very good reasons".

(Again, just speaking in generalities, and I do realize that what I posted certainly does not apply to all Boomers! There are and were plenty of "slackers" or excuse-makers in my generation, also! However, most of us who did "toe the line" had no respect for those who did not, I think.)
The crux of what you are describing is how long is it taking to line up said job? 6 months, 12 months, how long do you put up with a hostile environment before you just leave it in Gods hands?

Sure, if you can line up a new better job in a month or 2 great, but what about when you can’t?

Old 10-11-2019, 07:40 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis;56386666[B
]Okay, but my point is that with many of us "oldsters" who did have stressful jobs, most of us did not qui because of the stress or because they weren't meeting our psychological needs UNLESS we had a better job already lined up.
[/b]

Based on your bias you assume that the milennials and Gen z'ers quit without back up. That's a big assumption.

Old 10-11-2019, 08:18 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,353,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Based on your bias you assume that the milennials and Gen z'ers quit without back up. That's a big assumption.
No, I don't assume and didn't assume. I wrote my post based only on the what was written in the OP, and that is that the younger generation quits for mental health reasons more than the Boomer generation did -- according to the study, anyway.

Old 10-11-2019, 08:21 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,726,169 times
nut up or shut up!!!

Old 10-11-2019, 08:29 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,055,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
The snowflakes are melting. I'm shocked AND appalled, and more than a little amused at these pathetic losers.
How are they pathetic losers leaving a job they don't like.

Old 10-11-2019, 08:46 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,215,513 times
My sense is that the workplace has changed a lot too and in general not for the better. Many employers are trying to push workers to put in lots of unpaid overtime and imposing other demands. I am an older Gen Her as well (nearly 50) and my sense is that while there have always been good employers and bad employers, the percentage of bad ones has gone up. It seems that the number of employers that treat employees as resources to be used up has increased. That's just anecdotal based on discussions through the years with my parents, older family members, older coworkers, etc. But I think it's entirely possible that some of the increase in younger people leaving jobs due to stress is based on the fact that in many cases the stress itself is more pronounced. That isn't all of it, certainly - I've seen my stepsons throw out what I would consider a perctly good job at that age. But I think it contributes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies