Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2019, 06:17 AM

56,903 posts, read 25,835,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
The Supreme Court, as in the US Supreme Court?

Why on Earth are they hearing cases about high school sports? Surely there are more pressing issues for them to deal with than HS softball.

This is an issue for the individual sanctioning bodies/leagues/conferences/whatever. I think that transwomen should absolutely NOT be allowed to participate in female sports. At the same time, I also don't think transmen should be forced to compete in female sports, like that state champion wrestler in TX. He wanted to wrestle on the boys team, he was forced to wrestle on the girls team where his hormone therapy obviously gave him an advantage the other wrestlers didn't have.
They aren't hearing the case she was just making a speech on the Supreme Court Steps. The article is really lacking other than the basics but its Breitbart and to be expected. There are some girls that play on make football teams but they are not allowed to play baseball. There was a girls baseball team on 60 minutes that is pretty successful playing against boys. I don't understand the girls point from the article.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2019, 06:20 AM

28,395 posts, read 16,257,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
They aren't hearing the case she was just making a speech on the Supreme Court Steps. The article is really lacking other than the basics but its Breitbart and to be expected.
Ah, that makes much more sense. Yeah, not surprised by the quality of journalism from that source.

Old 10-10-2019, 06:52 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,861,355 times
Quote:
Ah, that makes much more sense. Yeah, not surprised by the quality of journalism from that source.

What is lacking in the article?

It says in the very first sentence a girl who plays 2 different sports was making a speech on the steps of the supreme court as the supreme court was hearing arguments about a related topic.

It's pretty clear that's what the article is about.

Old 10-10-2019, 06:55 AM

Quote:
They aren't hearing the case she was just making a speech on the Supreme Court Steps. The article is really lacking other than the basics but its Breitbart and to be expected. There are some girls that play on make football teams but they are not allowed to play baseball. There was a girls baseball team on 60 minutes that is pretty successful playing against boys. I don't understand the girls point from the article.
It says that in the very first sentence.

Old 10-10-2019, 07:05 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,467,377 times
Quote:
The SC is hearing arguments over whether the federal anti-discrimination law based on sex covers discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity. The girl's point is that if enough biological males self-identify as female and compete on a girl's team, women's sports is over. She's right.

Old 10-10-2019, 07:11 AM

28,395 posts, read 16,257,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
What is lacking in the article?

It says in the very first sentence a girl who plays 2 different sports was making a speech on the steps of the supreme court as the supreme court was hearing arguments about a related topic.

It's pretty clear that's what the article is about.
No, it doesn't. Here is the entire text of the article from Breitbart:

A female high school athlete said on Tuesday that having to compete with men on the field crushes the dreams of women athletes.
Grace, a soccer and softball player, spoke out in front of the Supreme Court on Tuesday as the justices heard arguments about whether federal anti-discrimination laws should apply to “sexual orientation” and “gender identity.”

Grace, a high school junior, said, “sports have always been a critical part of my life.” With her parents’ support, she grew to become a competitive athlete.

She spoke as activists yelled, “Go home, homophobe!”

“I believed that when they told me if I worked hard enough, I could do anything,” she said to the crowds, “that being a girl isn’t a limitation, that if she believes she can, she will.”

Soccer, Grace said, “taught me discipline, the rewards that come with a hard work ethic, and, most importantly, it’s taught me what leadership looks like.”

But, Grace added that, after spending hours of training and practice and giving up social activities in order to compete with other top-level athletes, “You make it to the field and you see a high school boy across from you. Not as a coach, not as an assistant, but as a player.”

“It’s confusing,” she asserted. “Your entire team’s focus and motivation is lost and defeated before you even start.”

Grace said that her team’s spirit of “Yes, we can!” was quickly replaced by “Why try?”

She explained that when the boy’s hitting ability gave the opposing team an edge of a couple of runs, her team of female athletes could not recover and ended up losing.

Grace observed how allowing biological men to play women’s sports is defeating the goal of an “equal playing field” federal law is supposed to protect. She said many female athletes who have to compete against males will lose out on sports scholarships to colleges.

A recent study in Sweden has shown that biological males who claim to be transgender women still retained considerable advantages over biological females in strength and muscle mass, even after a full year of hormone therapy.

“Despite the robust increases in muscle mass and strength in [transgender men], the [transgender women] were still stronger and had more muscle mass following 12 months of treatment,” the researchers said. “These findings add new knowledge that could be relevant when evaluating transwomen’s eligibility to compete in the women’s category of athletic competitions.”

In another study, researchers concluded that male athletes who claim to be female hold an “intolerable” advantage over biological female athletes.

Three professors — two in bioethics and one in physiology — noted the International Olympic Committee (IOC) is allowing “transgender women” to compete against biological females if their testosterone is below 10 nmol/L. However, even that level is “significantly higher” than that of biological females, they asserted.

The researchers also stated that “indirect effects of testosterone will not be altered by hormone therapy.”

“For example, hormone therapy will not alter bone structure, lung volume or heart size of the transwoman athlete, especially if she transitions postpuberty, so natural advantages including joint articulation, stroke volume and maximal oxygen uptake will be maintained,” they explained.

“We conclude that the advantage to transwomen afforded by the IOC guidelines is an intolerable unfairness,” state the professors.

Old 10-10-2019, 07:12 AM

34,133 posts, read 18,385,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
The SC is hearing arguments over whether the federal anti-discrimination law based on sex covers discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity. The girl's point is that if enough biological males self-identify as female and compete on a girl's team, women's sports is over. She's right.
Thank you. This is a quote from the Breitbart article. They never said IN the COURTROOM and they never said the U.S. Supreme Court. The article is entirely accurate.

Quote:
Grace, a soccer and softball player, spoke out in front of the Supreme Court on Tuesday as the justices heard arguments about whether federal anti-discrimination laws should apply to “sexual orientation” and “gender identity.”
But CNN, NBC, MSNBC, ABC, CBS, PBS, NYT, Washpo etc. can spout out and out lies, but Breitbart is the villain? Liberal HYPOCRASY and BIAS.

Old 10-10-2019, 07:27 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,467,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Thank you. This is a quote from the Breitbart article. They never said IN the COURTROOM and they never said the U.S. Supreme Court. The article is entirely accurate.

But CNN, NBC, MSNBC, ABC, CBS, PBS, NYT, Washpo etc. can spout out and out lies, but Breitbart is the villain? Liberal HYPOCRASY and BIAS.
The article said' in front of the Supreme Court.' I suppose it could have added the word 'building' to help those who didn't see the giant image of her speaking into the microphone outside, or the words 'she said to the crowd', or 'activists yelled 'Go home homophobe.' Anyway, the point is that the girl was right and the SC is hearing a case.

Old 10-10-2019, 07:28 AM

Quote:
No, it doesn't. Here is the entire text of the article from Breitbart:

A female high school athlete said on Tuesday that having to compete with men on the field crushes the dreams of women athletes.

Grace, a high school junior, said, “sports have always been a critical part of my life.” With her parents’ support, she grew to become a competitive athlete.

She spoke as activists yelled, “Go home, homophobe!”

“I believed that when they told me if I worked hard enough, I could do anything,” she said to the crowds, “that being a girl isn’t a limitation, that if she believes she can, she will.”

Soccer, Grace said, “taught me discipline, the rewards that come with a hard work ethic, and, most importantly, it’s taught me what leadership looks like.”

But, Grace added that, after spending hours of training and practice and giving up social activities in order to compete with other top-level athletes, “You make it to the field and you see a high school boy across from you. Not as a coach, not as an assistant, but as a player.”

“It’s confusing,” she asserted. “Your entire team’s focus and motivation is lost and defeated before you even start.”

Grace said that her team’s spirit of “Yes, we can!” was quickly replaced by “Why try?”

She explained that when the boy’s hitting ability gave the opposing team an edge of a couple of runs, her team of female athletes could not recover and ended up losing.

Grace observed how allowing biological men to play women’s sports is defeating the goal of an “equal playing field” federal law is supposed to protect. She said many female athletes who have to compete against males will lose out on sports scholarships to colleges.

A recent study in Sweden has shown that biological males who claim to be transgender women still retained considerable advantages over biological females in strength and muscle mass, even after a full year of hormone therapy.

“Despite the robust increases in muscle mass and strength in [transgender men], the [transgender women] were still stronger and had more muscle mass following 12 months of treatment,” the researchers said. “These findings add new knowledge that could be relevant when evaluating transwomen’s eligibility to compete in the women’s category of athletic competitions.”

In another study, researchers concluded that male athletes who claim to be female hold an “intolerable” advantage over biological female athletes.

Three professors — two in bioethics and one in physiology — noted the International Olympic Committee (IOC) is allowing “transgender women” to compete against biological females if their testosterone is below 10 nmol/L. However, even that level is “significantly higher” than that of biological females, they asserted.

The researchers also stated that “indirect effects of testosterone will not be altered by hormone therapy.”

“For example, hormone therapy will not alter bone structure, lung volume or heart size of the transwoman athlete, especially if she transitions postpuberty, so natural advantages including joint articulation, stroke volume and maximal oxygen uptake will be maintained,” they explained.

“We conclude that the advantage to transwomen afforded by the IOC guidelines is an intolerable unfairness,” state the professors.

Yes, you are. I understood it perfectly. I read the article and saw the video and had no comprehension issues. /shrug/

Old 10-10-2019, 07:38 AM

34,133 posts, read 18,385,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
The article said' in front of the Supreme Court.' I suppose it could have added the word 'building' to help those who didn't see the giant image of her speaking into the microphone outside, or the words 'she said to the crowd', or 'activists yelled 'Go home homophobe.' Anyway, the point is that the girl was right and the SC is hearing a case.
Exactly, and Breitbart was entirely accurate. Yet, the Lib/Progs see Breitbart and seethe, because they often expose them for what they are, so of course have to try to demean the messenger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies