Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2019, 05:58 AM

21,873 posts, read 9,439,939 times

Advertisements

I am noticing more and more of these lately. Someone posts a story about how their friend was racially profiled or how women's careers are ruined by their husbands that bash Christians...but not in the politics forum. But they are just stories (and possibly not even true) designed to push the SJW narrative. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2019, 06:01 AM

3,212 posts, read 1,648,934 times
Partially true. The California forum is loaded with anti-California right wing rants.

Old 10-11-2019, 06:02 AM

34,192 posts, read 18,520,591 times
Yes, I've noticed it. Then they hide behind the ROC's so you can't respond, or post a rebuttal. It's a thinly veiled attempt to post propaganda that can't be challenged.

Old 10-11-2019, 06:07 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,713,992 times
Everyone has a story. Someone was recently telling me about a guy who hit their car parked on the road and how he was an illegal immigrant. She knew this because she saw him when he sped off.

People also take things as political when they really aren't, though. Sometimes things just happen and while the event might seems skewed to the right or the left, it's really that everything that happens in life is not completely gray/neutral.

Old 10-11-2019, 09:25 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,919,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Everyone has a story. Someone was recently telling me about a guy who hit their car parked on the road and how he was an illegal immigrant. She knew this because she saw him when he sped off.

People also take things as political when they really aren't, though. Sometimes things just happen and while the event might seems skewed to the right or the left, it's really that everything that happens in life is not completely gray/neutral.
People also project. Example:

Cashier of X ethnicity learned before work that their mom has cancer. So they are super sad and non talkative at work, trying to get through the shift.

Customer of Y ethnicity sees Cashier X who won't smile or talk or look at them, and yells RACIST.

When Cashier X's behavior has nothing to do with Customer Y.

Old 10-11-2019, 09:29 AM

52,076 posts, read 52,537,813 times
Possibly true. I think that in general the far left progressive SJW types tend to be more savvy strategy wise in putting out their messages. I can think of a few "left wing" messages that I hear about all of the time in the media. I don't get same level of bombardment with right wing messages as much, not sure what the right wing agenda is as much as I know what the left wing agenda is, that might be a telling sign.

Old 10-11-2019, 09:32 AM

13,899 posts, read 6,432,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Possibly true. I think that in general the far left progressive SJW types tend to be more savvy strategy wise in putting out their messages. I can think of a few "left wing" messages that I hear about all of the time in the media. I don't get same level of bombardment with right wing messages as much, not sure what the right wing agenda is as much as I know what the left wing agenda is, that might be a telling sign.
Of course they are. They are absolute masters at propaganda who follow the old Soviet and Nazi rule of repeating a lie often enough.....

Old 10-11-2019, 09:50 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,648,648 times
Look at all the fools right here posting like "Hey California, this and that"....what a bunch of BS. Like California is a person or something......

It's all right wing fear and loathing. Some of it is likely coordinated and paid for, other times many retirees see themselves as "warriors" with a responsibility to echo the Billionaires talking points.

The Right Wing agenda is very simple. Money and Power for ME - likely a white person, of course, but that is secondary.

The idea is to make you think everything is equal - if I pocketed $10 in cash from the sale of my used TV and didn't declare it, that's exactly as bad as the POTUS selling his office for billions. Same thing.

Digging a bit deeper, the idea is to appeal to low information voters and low information people. And it works...always has and always will. Whether leading people off to war or making them work against their best interests, that's the plan....

In fact, that's a simple way of putting it. Right Wing stuff is designed to make people work against what is best for them and their fellows. Fear and Greed are two good ways to get that party going.

Old 10-11-2019, 09:56 AM

52,076 posts, read 52,537,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Right Wing stuff is designed to make people work against what is best for them and their fellows. Fear and Greed are two good ways to get that party going.
I know a few far lefties that repeat this line verbatim, they are both avid NPR listeners, I imagine it's stuff they hear on there. What exactly does this mean in English. I don't know what exactly it is. When they say it, I just avoid talking about politics because it usually doesn't end up well.

Old 10-11-2019, 10:06 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,648,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I know a few far lefties that repeat this line verbatim, they are both avid NPR listeners, I imagine it's stuff they hear on there. What exactly does this mean in English. I don't know what exactly it is. When they say it, I just avoid talking about politics because it usually doesn't end up well.
It means like coming up with emotional talking points that make people in WV some of the poorest in the nation...and those who collect the most welfare...and have a terrible drug problem and shorter life spans....think that THEY are somehow fighting the good fight because the Rest Stop that they've never been to in their life has a "family" restroom in addition to the other ones.

That type of thing. Making people put the wrong "weights" on issues. Ginning them up to hate Muslims whilst they themselves (Right Wingers) are killing people left and right in this country (300% more than Muslims)...

Lots of examples. It's nothing we get from NPR, but rather proven in stuff like the lies:
"Coal is coming back, no need to worry about getting an education or leaving."

It's making people who watch their family members suffer and die early and file bankruptcy due to medical bills scream about Universal Health Care. Etc. etc.

Does that somewhat explain it?

I mean - one could say I vote against my own interests also. I want to pay enough in taxes to balance the budget and I want Universal health care but neither are of ANY financial benefit to me or my general family. In fact they are a loss. So I vote against my own interest, but not for propaganda reasons....

So, see if you can ferret out the differences there......if one is educated on the matters and math and makes a decision, for example, to vote for the perceived good for society, their children, the country, the world, etc. - that is voting against your own selfish interests in a sense.

But if one is watching their landscape be ruined by mountaintop removal and opiates and pollutions and watching others around them die young and they vote a certain way because they are scared of Gay People they will never run into, that's different.

IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies