Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2019, 02:58 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,350,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post
But Trump has been standing up to China, where have you been? We hold the leverage now, all it took was a president to be willing to confront them.
He's taken the US out of the TPP - which weakens US leverage on China.

He's alienated our other trade partners - so they're less likely to work in concord with us on common grounds with regards to China related issues.

He goes hot and cold in his public pronouncements about China - which undermines the message and the direction of any China policy.

Look, I support a prudent policy with regards to China - but Trump's erratic approach isn't the way to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2019, 03:01 PM

550 posts, read 368,344 times
Trump Derangement Syndrome is real and alive.

The post was not about Trump and what he has or hasn't done.

It was asking if any Democrat candidate (other than Biden) has talked about what s/he would do with China.

As to thinking Warren would be tough on China, I'm at a loss at what that would be if she doesn't believe in tariffs. Examples?

Old 10-11-2019, 03:04 PM

29,808 posts, read 24,885,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
The TPP would have helped stand up to China, Trump scrapped that.
Top China expert: U.S.' "biggest strategic mistake" was exiting TPP

The designated losers in all these trade deals are always the American people, especially the workers who are trying to raise a family. Haven't you learned this already?

Old 10-11-2019, 03:14 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,350,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpair View Post
Trump Derangement Syndrome is real and alive.

The post was not about Trump and what he has or hasn't done.

It was asking if any Democrat candidate (other than Biden) has talked about what s/he would do with China.

As to thinking Warren would be tough on China, I'm at a loss at what that would be if she doesn't believe in tariffs. Examples?
Well, hate to break it to you, but you don't control the narrative. We're free to say anything provided it doesn't violate the TOS.

I've studied US-China policy in graduate school and in around 30 years of observations - there generally is a pretty consistent approach with US policy towards China on a bipartisan basis --- it just evolves over time. It doesn't matter too much in terms of what presidential candidates (of either party) says in the heat of the campaign - when they come to office, they have to be pretty pragmatic about things and are generally fairly careful - and can manage flare ups and crises. Like W Bush having to manage the military aircraft collision issue early in his term. Like Clinton's having to deal with the problem of the bombing of the Chinese embassy in Serbia.

And it's not out of the realm to mention that Trump's handling of China is erratic and works at cross purposes. I'd expect any other president or president to be to do a better job in every way even if I don't agree with everything they do.

Old 10-11-2019, 03:16 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,997,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post
But Trump has been standing up to China, where have you been? We hold the leverage now, all it took was a president to be willing to confront them.
But your assessment is not based on anything factual or concrete -- it is your feeling that Trump has been more successful in forcing some kind of a deal.....but we have nothing to show for it.

You are taking a victory lap before you cross the finish line.

Old 10-11-2019, 03:21 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,552,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Which Democrat will stand up to Communism? None of them!
The last (D) that stood up to communism was JFK. He was an American, NOT a D-RAT.

Old 10-11-2019, 03:21 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,955,379 times
The ordinary American worker is not going to notice any change by competing with workers from Bangladesh and communist Vietnam instead of China.

To think otherwise is foolish. "Standing up to China" has nothing to do with protecting the American worker.

Old 10-11-2019, 08:51 PM

18,490 posts, read 9,151,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post
All establishment politicians are sellouts to corporate interests. They would sell their soul to China if they could.
Correct.

Neither party cares if the future world is dominated by authoritarian China. All they care about is bribe money in the here and now.

Last edited by Freak80; 10-11-2019 at 09:03 PM..

Old 10-11-2019, 10:15 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,363,612 times
You have to be pretty dumb to think the TPP was going to be good for 99% of Americans.

Ever wonder who wrote it?

Of the 566 committee members, 480, or 85 percent, are senior corporate executives or representatives from industry lobbying groups. Many of the advisory committees are made up entirely of industry representatives.

Old 10-14-2019, 10:38 AM

3,405 posts, read 2,730,517 times
One interesting part, is I haven't seen a 25% hike in most items from China. Maybe that doesn't say much because I'm not deeply involved in many different industires, but harbor freight for example still has the same prices on a majority of their tools and stuff.
I disagree that other countries are not aligning against China. China's hand has been shown (their 2025 goal of monopolizing 90% of the worlds manufacturing) so I think many other countries are starting to see the light. I have a relative in the plastics industry that has shared many of the dishonorable things they've discovered when dealing and competing with the Chinese. One furniture company offshored it's plastic protective parts used in packaging to China, and of course they were breaking and a lot of the furniture was getting damaged in shipping. Content analysis found all kinds of junk from wood fiber to rice hulls in the plastic, they were pretty much just blending together a bunch of trash/recycling with some recycled plastics and it ended up costing the company many times more in shipping damages than they saved on the Chinese corner protectors.
Furthermore, if we're processing our food there, I'm deeply concerned what's in it, that isn't detected or isn't in large enough quantities to raise any alarm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies