Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2019, 11:06 PM

26,574 posts, read 14,444,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Maybe someone bought a CD and that is what was used? If that is the case, it has been paid for already.

"When you see the words “All Rights Reserved” on a movie that you’ve rented or purchased, you know that playing that movie before a public audience is prohibited. The same restrictions apply to music that is purchased, broadcast, or live musicians that are hired to play in a public setting. Every business or organization must receive permission from the copyright owners of the music they are playing before playing it publicly."

https://www.bmi.com/faq/entry/what_i...forming_right1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2019, 11:07 PM

35,703 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...043603063.html

Prince's estate doesn't like the use of his music by Trump.

Too bad! Prince is dead! No say in the matter, Trump will play whatever he feels like playing.
Prince's estate has enough money.

By the way I'm a Prince fan -- maybe the best overall musician we've ever seen.
No, there are rights and you pay royalties to the songwriter, or who owns the song. Why should he circumvent this ? Any reason mrT can’t play by the rules ?

Old 10-11-2019, 11:17 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,368,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
"When you see the words “All Rights Reserved” on a movie that you’ve rented or purchased, you know that playing that movie before a public audience is prohibited. The same restrictions apply to music that is purchased, broadcast, or live musicians that are hired to play in a public setting. Every business or organization must receive permission from the copyright owners of the music they are playing before playing it publicly."

https://www.bmi.com/faq/entry/what_i...forming_right1
I have a friend who's buddy own some popular bar in Vegas. The music publishers came after him for money but I don't think they got any...

Old 10-12-2019, 01:02 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
So every single restaurant, school, hospital, bar , gym , store.. well anywhere the public might be.. have to ask for permission to play cd's with music? I had no idea and I don't think most people do.

Old 10-12-2019, 01:14 AM

5,479 posts, read 2,120,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
So every single restaurant, school, hospital, bar , gym , store.. well anywhere the public might be.. have to ask for permission to play cd's with music? I had no idea and I don't think most people do.
Technically yes, but that's why they often use bought playlists, satellite radio, subscribed radio and such...schools are usually given a lot of lattitude and largley ignored...not good PR to sue a school.

Old 10-12-2019, 02:57 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...043603063.html

Prince's estate doesn't like the use of his music by Trump.

Too bad! Prince is dead! No say in the matter, Trump will play whatever he feels like playing.
Prince's estate has enough money.

By the way I'm a Prince fan -- maybe the best overall musician we've ever seen.
It ain't the money right now that's most important. Prince's music is still getting enough airplay, so one rally won't make a big difference.

Keeping the copy rights to Prince's songs is by far the most important. Those rights will continue long after Prince's popularity fades to a pale imitation of what it is now, but he was an important artist, so his songs will continue to be played for at least 100 years to come. And the copy rights will deliver the royalties to those Prince chose for that long too. Longer, if the holders renew the rights before they expire.

Any copyright has to be defended to be kept by the right holder. A failure to protect the copy right allows it to go into public domain, and when that happens, all royalties end forever.

Prince is dead for sure, but his copyrights were his legacy for his family, friends, and associates. They are as tangible as money in the pocket is for them all for 90 years to come, and then an additional 90 if they are renewed. Those rights can be inherited from one generation to the next, long after those who got them from Prince are all dead and gone. His estate will continue to manage them for as long as the copy rights exist.

So his estate did the right thing by denying Trump free use of Prince's music without permission. Even a President has to request the use of a copyrighted song for use in a public event, and the request has to be granted before the music can be played.

And a royalty must be paid by the President unless Prince's estate formally agreed it could be used for free. Failure to pay royalties on copyrighted materials is a federal offense.

Now if Trump was halfway smart, he would agree to stop playing Prince and pay the rally's royalty fees.

The very last thing he needs is another clearly criminal offense, handed over freely to his tormenters if he refuses to pay or to stop the music.

But since he's less than halfway smart, I don't expect he will obey the law. He likes being a bad boy too much, and he's gotten away with it far too often.

Old 10-12-2019, 02:59 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Ignorance is no excuse.

Team Trump was well aware they were not to use Prince's music. They've already received at least one cease-and-desist letter.

Old 10-12-2019, 03:16 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,287,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Well, I lived through the time he was "popular". Just not particularly with the males I guess. Young girls did like to dance to his music.
You have no clue about Prince and his music. It’s obvious.

Old 10-12-2019, 05:28 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
Look. I get it. You love trump and everything he does. He's like some weird kind of man-god to you.

But in reality, he can't just steal artists music to use at his rallys, for his commercials, to promote himself, etc... without that artists permission. Unfortunately for him, there are very few popular artists that will grant him that permission.

Why doesn't he just use Kanye's songs? Is it because his base (or more likely him) is uncomfortable with being associated with rap music?
Actually, you don't get it at all. Trump for me is simply better than voting for a crazy left winger, I'm not happy with some things he's done. But he's getting a raw deal from the establishment, who is still trying to undo the 2016 election. And I'm sick of these whiny musicians, or in this case, the musician's estate. Let the people enjoy some good music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies