Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2019, 07:14 AM

5,479 posts, read 2,120,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
In time I think you will see he is broke - and in deep debt - just stay tuned.
Should we hold our breath like when:
He didn't really want to win?
He is going to resign as soon as he's sworn in?
He won't last a year?

He's going down because of Russia?
he's going down because of obstruction?
He's going down because of yada-yada-yada?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2019, 08:16 AM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
Generally it's the stadium venue that has an open agreement with BMI or whoever, they already pay royalties for each song played (Or whatever their particular contract allows.) and can play songs for whatever event...including political events. Different story for political ads.
Not always. Licenses held by venues typically are excluded from third party use. As an example, Delaware North owns both the Boston Bruins and TD Garden - their license covers Bruins games. The Celtics rent TD Garden and need their own license to play music as do the ice shows, concerts, rallies, et al.

Old 10-12-2019, 08:27 AM

5,479 posts, read 2,120,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Not always. Licenses held by venues typically are excluded from third party use. As an example, Delaware North owns both the Boston Bruins and TD Garden - their license covers Bruins games. The Celtics rent TD Garden and need their own license to play music as do the ice shows, concerts, rallies, et al.
I started my post with the word GENERALLY...did that confuse you?

Old 10-12-2019, 08:30 AM

14,775 posts, read 8,109,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...043603063.html

Prince's estate doesn't like the use of his music by Trump.

Too bad! Prince is dead! No say in the matter, Trump will play whatever he feels like playing.
Prince's estate has enough money.

By the way I'm a Prince fan -- maybe the best overall musician we've ever seen.

You don't believe in copyright laws?

(You might if you were a writer/artist that created your own work, just to see someone else steal it and use if for the own
ends....It would make it even worse if you did not like the person who used your material.)
I am not surprised Trump does not care that he is using the music contrary to the wishes of Prince's estate, Trump has proven over and over he has no respect of the law in any fashion.

Old 10-12-2019, 10:51 AM

26,569 posts, read 14,444,771 times

great links but none address one major point....... the prince estate and trump's campaign had a legal agreement that the trump campaign not use any of prince's music. the campaign has now violated that agreement.

Old 10-12-2019, 10:55 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
great links but none address one major point....... the prince estate and trump's campaign had a legal agreement that the trump campaign not use any of prince's music. the campaign has now violated that agreement.
That's it in a nutshell.

Old 10-12-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
So every single restaurant, school, hospital, bar , gym , store.. well anywhere the public might be.. have to ask for permission to play cd's with music?

yep. ( altho schools might pass under "educational" fair-use exceptions )

this is handled by paying for a license agreement with BMI and/or ASCAP who handle distribution of royalty payments ( how exactly they do this i have no idea and i've always been curious about how their accounting works )

there are exceptions. a restaurant under 3,200sq ft w/ 4 or less speakers is free to play the radio, but not CDs, without a BMI/ASCAP agreement is one example.

Old 10-12-2019, 11:06 AM

5,654 posts, read 6,217,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
So every single restaurant, school, hospital, bar , gym , store.. well anywhere the public might be.. have to ask for permission to play cd's with music? I had no idea and I don't think most people do.
Yes. I've had mom and pop clients who play music in their lobbies who have been contacted about the infringement.

MAybe not everybody knows this but it doesn't change the fact that when you "buy" music you are not actually buying it, as in buying the rights to it. You are buying a limited license to use the music in a particular fashion. In the case of consumers, it is private use.

Even radio stations are not supposed to be broadcast without the corret license.

While not everyone knows this I think the point is in this case Trump's campaign was aware of it since they've had multiple communications with artists and their representatives to know that the proper license is needed to broadcast copyrighted works.

Old 10-12-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Any copyright has to be defended to be kept by the right holder. A failure to protect the copy right allows it to go into public domain, and when that happens, all royalties end forever.

i hate this aspect of the law. i work in the music biz designing art for promotions and merch. bands tend to be cheap and don't want to pay the amount for full rights ( they pay a smaller amount for specific "usage" ). as a result i retain the rights to most of my art. i get ripped-off fairly regularly. unfortunately these are usually small entities doing it that wouldn't be able to pay my legal fees if i went after them. as you mention i'm at risk of losing my copyright if they can prove i had knowledge of the violation and did nothing to defend my right. so i tend not to make any public acknowledgement when they do come to my attention.

Old 10-12-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
Y.... Trump's campaign was aware of it since they've had multiple communications with artists and their representatives to know that the proper license is needed to broadcast copyrighted works.

trump's campaign does have an ASCAP license agreement ( not sure about BMI ). in the case of the prince estate there was already a legal agreement between the campaign and the estate not to use prince's music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies