Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2019, 12:06 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
While Weber's 18-foot wooden replica is shorter than the 30-foot section of the steel bollard wall Trump visited last month, the retired engineer said that doesn't matter.

Oh... OK.

Maybe there's a reason the engineer is retired.
Thank God our engineers at work design to 100% of spec, not 60%.

Old 10-12-2019, 12:09 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
If a person can climb an 18ft. tree they can climb a 30ft. tree. The engineer found no need to waste any more time and materials. He`s an engineer.

1. Have you ever been 30 feet up? It's a lot higher than it looks.

2. Just because some people might be able to climb it doesn't mean everyone can. Try it carrying a 3yr old or a sack of fentanyl.

3. Patrols, guards, cameras etc. Duh.

4. Just because it's not 100% impenetrable doesn't mean it's not a worthwhile part of border control.

How about we apply that standard to all government spending and programs hmmmm?

If anyone can commit welfare fraud.....then we scrap the whole program?

Deal?

Old 10-12-2019, 12:10 PM

8,555 posts, read 10,978,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
I am not saying that we should take down the wall, or abolish border patrol. I am not for Open Borders or Illegal Immigration so don't try to put words into my mouth. I don't think the wall is a good idea though considering the billions of dollars that it will cost, when we already have a record deficit...I think there are better ways to accomplish our Goals...that Wall would take too long to build, so far has proven ineffective (Have you ever read about all the tunnels they have found built under the existing wall that we have?) and honestly, we cannot afford a wall, it would be too expensive.
So the obvious question would be, what is your solution?

Bob.

Old 10-12-2019, 12:11 PM

31,048 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
I am not saying that we should take down the wall, or abolish border patrol. I am not for Open Borders or Illegal Immigration so don't try to put words into my mouth. I don't think the wall is a good idea though considering the billions of dollars that it will cost, when we already have a record deficit...I think there are better ways to accomplish our Goals...that Wall would take too long to build, so far has proven ineffective (Have you ever read about all the tunnels they have found built under the existing wall that we have?) and honestly, we cannot afford a wall, it would be too expensive.
We have always had walls, fences and Barricades. If tunnels circumvent walls as your argument suggests, and makes building new walls worthless, then you could just as well as tear down all the walls or let them fall in a state of disrepair. As far as the cost, the current Democrat front runners are all proposing Trillions of dollars in tax increases, so what's a few billion on a wall?

Anyway, Sanctuary States and cities which all the Democrat front runners call for just encourages more and more people to Illegally come here. Of course you don't want walls, but mainly you don't want anything the current Administration wants, whether it make sense or not.

Old 10-12-2019, 12:11 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
It's funny that most all military planners the world over gave up on "walls and moats" a few hundred years back...and, yet, many people still believe they are effective. You'd think the inventions of the airplane, drones, ladders, hoists, cherry pickers, the tripod and 100's of other devices would convince them of much better ways. But..no...they like symbols, not functions.

Anyone who is "for" the wall should take that misplaced energy and petition CONGRESS to come up with actual laws that reform the system. That is the only way that things will change. Short of that you are all peeing into the ocean.

Old 10-12-2019, 12:15 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
1. Have you ever been 30 feet up? It's a lot higher than it looks.

Deal?
I built apartments buildings and walked along a 2x4 top plate 30+ feet up carrying on end of a truss or a 20 foot 2x10. No problem at all. I also did chimney and roof work and climbed up ladders 28 feet with 70 lb bundles of shingles on my back.

Oh, and Fentanyl is mostly sent by packages services from China and elsewhere. It's made in Canada and the USA also. Simple chemistry.

It's foolish to think for a second that stopping 100% of border crossings would make a dent in Americans thirst for drugs. Where the customers exist, the supply will always continue. Besides, as you know, Big Pharma is by far the largest sellers of opiates in the world.

Old 10-12-2019, 12:18 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I built apartments buildings and walked along a 2x4 top plate 30+ feet up carrying on end of a truss or a 20 foot 2x10. No problem at all. I also did chimney and roof work and climbed up ladders 28 feet with 70 lb bundles of shingles on my back.

Oh, and Fentanyl is mostly sent by packages services from China and elsewhere. It's made in Canada and the USA also. Simple chemistry.

It's foolish to think for a second that stopping 100% of border crossings would make a dent in Americans thirst for drugs. Where the customers exist, the supply will always continue. Besides, as you know, Big Pharma is by far the largest sellers of opiates in the world.

See #4 above.

Old 10-12-2019, 12:18 PM

31,048 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
It's funny that most all military planners the world over gave up on "walls and moats" a few hundred years back...and, yet, many people still believe they are effective. You'd think the inventions of the airplane, drones, ladders, hoists, cherry pickers, the tripod and 100's of other devices would convince them of much better ways. But..no...they like symbols, not functions.

Anyone who is "for" the wall should take that misplaced energy and petition CONGRESS to come up with actual laws that reform the system. That is the only way that things will change. Short of that you are all peeing into the ocean.
Guess all the countries in the world should just tear down their walls and fences then

"Petition Congress" ? You funny, Congress will never pass anything related to border protection and Immigration reform.

Old 10-12-2019, 12:20 PM

22,473 posts, read 11,998,943 times
Quote:

So much nonsense in this post ^^^^

Do you think your average illegal will be driving a cherry picker all the way up to the wall?

Do you think illegals will be dragging a 30 ft. ladder to the border? Do you even know how much a 30 ft. ladder weighs and how much it costs? They weigh about 225 lbs. and cost just over $275. And you really think illegals have not only that kind of money to buy one but also have the capability to be able to drag one of those hundreds of miles? Keep in mind that many are also dragging their kids along with them. Get real.

See for yourself:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Werner-D120...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

And...once again for the umpteenth time --- The wall Bill Clinton had built on the San Diego/Tijuana border has drastically cut down on crime and illegal crossings. So why do you and your ilk keep saying walls don't work?

BTW, you are incredibly naive if you think that all illegals who sneak across the border are sweet, innocent people who only want to work. There are those who come here to do harm and many of them in that group are OTMs.

Old 10-12-2019, 12:22 PM

4,445 posts, read 1,449,895 times
Quote:

Israel hasn't. And their enemies shoot rockets at them all the time. You think because rockets exist, they should tear down their wall? Sheesh.

Shoot some people climbing your wall and the wall becomes very effective. Provide a better existence and no penalty for criminals who illegally breach your borders and you're right, a wall isn't worth s--t.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies