Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2019, 08:48 AM

5,751 posts, read 2,758,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Given that it was a cop that murdered a citizen, it's kind of irrelevant how the cops feel about it.
No, I’m saying if the cop had missed and then she killed the cop. Then what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2019, 08:50 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,360,544 times
This woman was not a victim of racism, she was a victim of circumstance. That cop was on the razors edge, probably expecting the worst. Sadly the worst happened.

Old 10-13-2019, 08:51 AM

10,392 posts, read 5,524,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
No, I’m saying if the cop had missed and then she killed the cop. Then what?
Good shoot.

Old 10-13-2019, 08:58 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,034,122 times
If the cop felt threatened he could have easily stepped to the side of the window out of the line of fire and called for backup. Looks to me like he just panicked.

Old 10-13-2019, 09:06 AM

17,386 posts, read 11,904,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
They are reporting that there was a handgun on the floor, and the cop yelled "show me your hands." Clearly he thought he saw a weapon and felt his life in danger. These split-second decisions sometimes go the wrong way, and as tragic as it is (and I feel sorry for the neighbor, too, who must feel awful for setting this in motion with the 911 call), these instances are exceedingly rare given the number of police encounters.

At the same time, I see it from the victim's perspective. If she did have a gun in her hand, it was because she thought someone was prowling around the outside if her house, and she wanted to protect herself and her nephew. May she RIP.

I don't think it's a black/white issue, although the liberals will try to paint it that way to drum up more fear and GTVO.
Aided by a corrupt media. I live in that area, and read about this last night. The headline read: "white officer shoots black resident inside her home." It's since been changed, but the fact that they changed it shows it was meant to cause discord, and when discovered, it was corrected.

Old 10-13-2019, 09:07 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,804,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Whoever said it was OK? It was a tragedy, but the cop thought he saw a gun (and they did find one on the floor - not merely in the house), and out of the millions of encounters, there are bound to be a few split-second decisions that went the wrong way.

It's like liberals ignore all the life-saving work that cops do every day, putting their own lives at danger on a daily basis, and when that rare instance comes up when a cop made the wrong decision, it's all about demonizing police and making them out as racists. I wonder if there would be the same reaction if the victim were white.
You are allowed to have a gun to protect yourself in your own home. Cops should know this. The cop apparently didn’t announce he was one. Gross negligence here.

I ain’t a liberal either. At least in the modern definition of the word. I believe the Second Amendment certainly defends the woman here.

I doubt if the cop even knew this light skinned black woman was black. This ain’t a race issue. It’s a dumb cop issue.

Old 10-13-2019, 09:09 AM

17,386 posts, read 11,904,684 times
Quote:
Armed men going to a residence at night, prowling around outside, and shining lights in windows? It's amazing that more of them don't get shot.

There is a serious problem with policing in America.
I'm very pro-cop, but we're seeing a huge problem in the caliber of cops in the US. I have to think it's being caused by the fact that no normal, rational, level-headed, smart person would join the force. Where their every move is questioned, they are accused of racism no matter their race or the situation, and their reflexes are delayed because they always have to question "how this will look".

So we're left with people that shouldn't be cops.

Old 10-13-2019, 09:10 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,933,657 times
Quote:
Armed men going to a residence at night, prowling around outside, and shining lights in windows? It's amazing that more of them don't get shot.

There is a serious problem with policing in America.
Exactly.
If I was prowling around someones backyard at night as a citizen and the homeowner shot me, it would be an open and shut case. Darwin Award.

How the heck can anyone spin this where the homeowner is shot and killed and at fault by a prowler lurking in their backyard is insane.

Old 10-13-2019, 09:12 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,401,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
I'm very pro-cop, but we're seeing a huge problem in the caliber of cops in the US. I have to think it's being caused by the fact that no normal, rational, level-headed, smart person would join the force. Where their every move is questioned, they are accused of racism no matter their race or the situation, and their reflexes are delayed because they always have to question "how this will look".

So we're left with people that shouldn't be cops.
This is not new. This has been the case for as long as I can remember.

We're not sending them our best a whole lot of the time.

Not sure how to change it.

Old 10-13-2019, 09:12 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,933,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
I know you people are so very well versed in gun law so what would your opinion be, if he shot and missed and she returned fire and killed the cop?
Castle Doctrine.
She would be justified in terminating the threat to her abode.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies