Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2019, 08:54 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,370,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
Some links about her and Joshua Brown:
Joshua Brown has nothing to do with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2019, 08:57 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,370,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
That sounds rather excessive -as crazy as this whole thing is, I doubt the cop was looking for someone to kill.

10 years like Botham Jean's killer got, would be more appropriate imo - extreme carelessness isn't the same as cold blooded murder.
This is at least as bad as, and probably worse than, what Guyger did. It's certainly worse from my perspective and, whereas I would have given Guyger 15-20 years, I'd give this guy 50.

Old 10-13-2019, 09:35 PM

1,417 posts, read 734,421 times
so, I did ride-alongs with the police many times(when I was running for public office and for fun with LEO students/buddies of mine), and those included wellness checks, which appears to be low risk, unless you think you are being set up. The officer would generally announce themself and speak to person registering "the concern" and the proceed to do the wellness check. Generally they would first have dispatch call the home, and then announce themselves and proceed to the door to do the check.

What is odd is, the inner door is wide open, and the outer door is shut, which is not a state of disarray. If both doors were askew it might be a reason for caution. At my home this is normal as we ventilate the house that way, even at 3am. The can clearly see in outside of cleanliness issues there is nothing seemingly amiss, no yelling, no scrambling, no loud noises. Moreover the cops seem to be stretching things a bit, they are not in hot pursuit and have no probable cause but it appears they are borderline searching without a warrant. It would be interesting to see if they would have entered the garage which was sealed, as it seems clear they were contemplating it. They certainly went beyond examining what was in plain view on this wellness check.

Perhaps what they were doing was positioning one officer at an exit point from the home and then intending to have one knock at the main entrance to the home while the other guarded the exit. But come on, sneak around a property at 2:30 am in the morning? People have an innate right to defend themselves and people sneaking around their yard at 2:30 am should arouse anyone's self-protection instincts. Something is just not right here.

Old 10-13-2019, 09:51 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
This is at least as bad as, and probably worse than, what Guyger did. It's certainly worse from my perspective and, whereas I would have given Guyger 15-20 years, I'd give this guy 50.
No careless accident(assuming) deserves that long imo. I think 10 years is a serious sentence that acknowledges that loss of life makes this much different to other careless accidents, but at the same time not treating someone as a lifelong criminal for some bad decisions made in the course of work.

Old 10-13-2019, 10:28 PM

10,742 posts, read 5,668,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
How so? Announcing that a police officer is present is likely part of welfare check protocol. If a person pulls a gun on a police officer, a police officer is likely to perceive a threat and shoot.

If a neighborhood is known to be crime infested and a person points a gun at a police officer, a police officer will perceive a threat. It's a relevant detail. It may or may not be a careless killing.
You’re under no obligation to answer the door if it’s a cop, you can ignore them. And that doesn’t give a cop the right to shoot you, even if he claims that “he perceived a threat.

Old 10-13-2019, 10:36 PM

15,530 posts, read 10,499,357 times
Heard tonight that he had only been on the force for a year. I suggest he get his affairs in order because there's a good chance he's going to jail.

Old 10-13-2019, 10:46 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,840,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
This woman was not a victim of racism, she was a victim of circumstance. That cop was on the razors edge, probably expecting the worst. Sadly the worst happened.
I’m from Fort Worth TX and I participated in the vigil and the protest today. This happened on the Southside of Fort Worth an area with a huge black & Hispanic presence. White people do not live on the Southside of Fort Worth. Race has everything to do with why this woman is dead. If this happened in a white neighborhood the police would not have responded the way they did period! If your scared of black people you shouldn’t be a police officer let alone patrolling minority communities.

Old 10-13-2019, 11:09 PM

1,417 posts, read 734,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
I’m from Fort Worth TX and I participated in the vigil and the protest today. This happened on the Southside of Fort Worth an area with a huge black & Hispanic presence. White people do not live on the Southside of Fort Worth. Race has everything to do with why this woman is dead. If this happened in a white neighborhood police would not have responded the way they did period! If your scared of black people you shouldn’t be a police officer let alone patrolling minority communities.
If I were in the area affected, as an activist, as you clearly are, then I would suggest you ask for review of the police procedures, if any, for a wellness check. You can read my post above, there seems to be something off about this. None of us are in command of all the facts but it seems very odd that someone would perform a wellness check and a search of the area that involved opening a privacy gate that clearly was built by design to hide something from open view (in other words possibly a warrantless search). It would be interesting to know if the history of calls to the house or the inhabitants and what was said by the person requesting the check.

Did the police attempt to call the people living in the house? Why did the police not identify themselves? Was there a bolo in the area? If they were nervous why did they not call for back-up? Look at how they moved, in a crouched, position, why were they that cautious? When did they intend to announce themselves, Why were they peering in everything.

I would hope there is a defined procedure for a wellness check and how to report and ask for deviations when you determine the status quo is not appropriate, generally(at least in my area) that would go to the shift commander (patrol sgt on duty) who would make the determination and authorize deviation from SOP.

It would be interesting if a forth worth LEO would chime in as to what protocol dictates.

Last edited by GhostOfAndrewJackson; 10-13-2019 at 11:41 PM..

Old 10-14-2019, 12:27 AM

3,617 posts, read 1,821,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
https://www.kvue.com/article/news/fo...f-524bf75d386d

This is going to be very hard to defend, if the article truly reflects what happened. How awful.

This ENTIRE situation is what is created when imbecilic individuals demand some higher power (the State also known as government) protect them from any possibility of harm, completely disregarding law and lawful processes. The Supreme Court of the United States (SCOTUS) has already decided that law enforcement has ZERO duty to protect anyone yet that is exactly what these simple minded idiots demand. https://mises.org/power-market/polic...irms-yet-again

About a month ago my niece heard a noise outside in her back yard around midnight. She went out armed with her .38 and confronted two individuals who were in her back yard and they happened to be LEOs dressed in all black. She never pointed her firearm at them but after their brief exchange where they claimed they were looking for a prowler, she politely but firmly instructed them to get off her property and they did, because they had to. No one who called in on a possible prowler ever identified her property as being prowled upon, and even if they had, the police had zero lawful duty to arrest a supposed prowler on my niece's land because she, the owner of the land, never complained about someone being on her property unlawfully.

My niece wasn't arrested. She wasn't shot. The police immediately left her property when she demanded they leave, as they damn well should have because they had ZERO lawful right to be on her property when the ONLY prowlers on her land were them, the police.

As far as the lady in the article goes, she can keep her doors or windows open on her house if she wants and just because some idiot calls in that it is suspicious, that does NOT authorize LEOs to do anything more than to investigate. They should have knocked on the front door, identifying themselves as LEOs, then even if she came to the door with a firearm in her hand and wasn't unlawfully pointing it at them, after she told them there was nothing wrong, they should have left because they had NO AUTHORITY in LAW to do ANYTHING other than leave.

Our world has been turned upside down when a LEO can gun a person down in their own home and who has not committed a CRIME. WTF is wrong with ANYONE thinking this crap is ok?

If a LEO is so afraid that they need to draw their gun just to check out if a situation MIGHT be suspicious, that person should NEVER have been issued a badge and a gun. At a minimum the LEO who shot needs to be charged and convicted of VOLUNTARY manslaughter. Why do I think it should be voluntary instead of involuntary? It should be voluntary because the LEO CHOSE to use LETHAL force rather than less than lethal force in a situation where the ONLY thing the person who called the situation in as suspicious stated was that the door was open. It is NOT illegal to have a door open. There was NOT a report of a CRIME. There WAS a report that something didn't look right. That does NOT authorize LEOs to go in, with guns drawn much less shooting someone.

This ENTIRE thing is complete and utter insanity!

But then again, that's just MY opinion, for what it's worth.

Old 10-14-2019, 12:32 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,439,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Playing video games with an 8 year old at 2 AM is bad judgment, even for an aunt.
That may be good reason for the kid's mom to criticize you, but its certainly no excuse for a cop shooting you in your own home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies