Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2019, 11:14 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,645,949 times

Advertisements

It baffles me that people are blaming the girl....for playing video games with her nephew at 2 am on a Saturday night....

There are people on this forum that actually think like this....holy crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2019, 11:14 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,866,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
He was forced to go and investigate a potentially dangerous situation.
Forced? Did someone hold a gun to his head and force him to be a cop? He was cashing his paychecks every week so one must assume he wanted to be on the job. And guess what, dangerous situations is part of the job description. He shouldn't be a cop if he wants to avoid them.

Quote:
We DO have to treat this case differently from, say, a Peeping Tom getting startled by his victim and shooting her.
From inside the house this is exactly what it appeared to be to the victim.

Old 10-14-2019, 11:15 AM

3,040 posts, read 4,998,605 times
Quote:
He was forced to go and investigate a potentially dangerous situation.

We DO have to treat this case differently from, say, a Peeping Tom getting startled by his victim and shooting her.
Since when does doing a "welfare check" equal a potentially dangerous situation. This police officer should have knocked on the door and announced himself as a police officer, after all,the front door was open.

This police officer walked into the back yard and saw a person, then shot. This person was of no threat, for she most likely couldn't even see him because she was inside a lit room and he was outside in the dark. The most she able to do was to hear someone outside. Even if she had a handgun on her she still wouldn't be able to see this officer unless he was standing with his face against the window.

Old 10-14-2019, 11:15 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,592,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
It baffles me that people are blaming the girl....for playing video games with her nephew at 2 am on a Saturday night....

There are people on this forum that actually think like this....holy crap.
Did you miss the idiotic posts blaming Botham Jean for not closing his door or having lights turned on?

Old 10-14-2019, 11:16 AM

45,203 posts, read 26,414,151 times
The cop should no more get a pass than if a nosy neighbor or home invader went over a shot her

Old 10-14-2019, 11:18 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,580 posts, read 17,923,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
No, we don’t.

Getting called out on a wellness check DOESN’T give a cop the right to go rogue and kill someone in their house.
In my defense, I was the one who started this thread, in outrage over this situation.

It now appears there was another cop on the scene - or maybe I'm misinterpreting the body cam video. It appears to me the body cam video of the actual shooting is coming from BEHIND the shooter, showing his partial face - not from the shooter's chest.

This will all hopefully come out soon, what the exact details were that led the officers into the back yard to further investigate rather than do what is clearly protocol in a welfare check - knock on the front door and see if everyone's actually OK.

Was that actually done, but not offered to the media?

Maybe that was done, and so the next step would be to go around the back and see if something else can be seen to determine if the residents are ok.

Old 10-14-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Did you miss the idiotic posts blaming Botham Jean for not closing his door or having lights turned on?
It's shocking. I guess black people can't just do what they want in their own homes anymore.

I can't tell you how many times I'll stay up late to play video games or just browse the web and do nothing if I can't sleep.

Old 10-14-2019, 11:19 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,580 posts, read 17,923,325 times
The GoFundMe account linked in this article shows a total of 158K in donations with a 200K goal.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/14/us/at...ice/index.html

Old 10-14-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
The GoFundMe account linked in this article shows a total of 158K in donations with a 200K goal.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/14/us/at...ice/index.html
I hope it's legit and not another Shaun King fraud gofundme.

Old 10-14-2019, 11:24 AM

45,203 posts, read 26,414,151 times
Funny how the officers name isnt "released" but if he'd been your average hood rat, gang banger, street thug,mafioso etc. it would have been splashed all over the press release.

No the police arent on the job to "ensure the safety of the community" and the supreme court agrees with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies