Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2019, 08:52 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'm not confused about friendly fire. I know exactly what that is.

It's mistakingly shooting someone who is not the enemy, in the "fog of war".

There is always "fog of war" in war.

There are efforts taken to know where your own forces are, despite the "fog."

If it is revealed in the court-matial that you did not take those efforts, "fog of war" will not protect you.

Quote:
I'm stating this is exact same kind of thing.

You send people in, armed, with the duty of diffusing the danger, eliminating the enemy, and sometimes you have soldiers panicking and falsely shooting people that weren't their enemies - people who didn't pose a danger.

Those soldiers who panicked and shot their own troops will be sentenced to prison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2019, 08:53 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,370,877 times
Quote:
On the other hand, I'm wondering if a Black cop - male or female - would have been so shocked and terrified at seeing a black person within the home that they would have panicked and shot.

And that goes for either the Guyger case or this case.

I think it's a fair guess to say no, they wouldn't have been so panicked that they would have reflexively shot and killed the inhabitant.
Don't be silly. If you want to argue probabilities, go ahead, but the notion that every black cop would have reacted the same way is ridiculous. You know as well as I that the Texas Ranger who wanted to testify that Amber Guyger didn't commit a crime was black.

Old 10-14-2019, 08:53 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,070,563 times
Quote:
Signs point to yes, as they say.

What other explanation do you have to offer, except, on seeing this black woman in her home, he became so afraid he reflexively shot her?

I'm asking honestly, not being snarky. He saw this woman, in her own home on a welfare check, and the moment he saw her he shouted hands up and panicked completely and shot her.

What theory do you have to offer?
Pretty much anything other than that.

Old 10-14-2019, 08:54 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
According to media, it happened one second after he finished asking her to show her hands. And I heard the video, show your hands followed immediately by the shot.

And it was only one shot, not multiple shots as usual when a cop purposely shoots a dangerous suspect.

My opinion is, he pulled his gun, ordered her to show her hands, and reflexively shot his gun unintentionally after placing his finger on the trigger, which isn't approved procedure.

A startle reaction would have sounded like:

"****!" <BANG>

Old 10-14-2019, 09:15 PM

24,404 posts, read 23,061,247 times
The progressives demand they want a police state but then go nuts when things like this happen. The definition of stupidity is thinking that liberal policies won't lead to fascism.

Old 10-14-2019, 09:16 PM

6,820 posts, read 14,032,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ng/3973133002/

In this story, the family's attorney says the child heard someone shouting but couldn't make out what was being said. The child also said they heard noise outside the house and his aunt went to the window to see what it was.

The key to this case is did she have the gun in her hands when the officer fired. The officer is toast if she did not. If she did it makes things more murky. She had every right to have a firearm in her hands when she heard a disturbance outside. We have a officer creeping outside who never announced himself so she had no idea what was going on. Having said this he has a chance if she had the firearm in hand while looking out the window. The boy can confirm if she had the gun or not. Either way I think this ex-cop is gonna do some time. It really boils down to how much he gets.

Old 10-14-2019, 09:23 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,627 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
A startle reaction would have sounded like:

"****!" <BANG>
I disagree. I think his finger was on the trigger while he was calling out to show her hands, and bam.

He's freaked out, and pulls the trigger while his finger should not have been on the trigger.

That's what I'm hearing.

Old 10-14-2019, 09:26 PM

6,820 posts, read 14,032,189 times
Quote:
I disagree. I think his finger was on the trigger while he was calling out to show her hands, and bam.

He's freaked out, and pulls the trigger while his finger should not have been on the trigger.

That's what I'm hearing.
What the hell. You don't pull your weapon unless your willing to use it and you don't use it unless you are shooting to kill. It's what every academy in the US teaches.

Old 10-14-2019, 09:33 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,627 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
What the hell. You don't pull your weapon unless your willing to use it and you don't use it unless you are shooting to kill. It's what every academy in the US teaches.
I disagree. You pull your weapon in case you might need to use it, and you don't put your finger on the trigger until it's necessary to shoot.

Or anyway, that's what I've learned today. You need to pull your weapon in case, but you don't place your finger on the trigger until the moment.

Old 10-14-2019, 09:43 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,439,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
The key to this case is did she have the gun in her hands when the officer fired. The officer is toast if she did not. If she did it makes things more murky. She had every right to have a firearm in her hands when she heard a disturbance outside. We have a officer creeping outside who never announced himself so she had no idea what was going on. Having said this he has a chance if she had the firearm in hand while looking out the window. The boy can confirm if she had the gun or not. Either way I think this ex-cop is gonna do some time. It really boils down to how much he gets.
I mostly agree with you.

However, imo the cop is the one who set up the situation that presented a possible threat to him and his partner.

It defies common sense that they were sneaking around in the back yard when presumably they knew the homeowner was likely in the house. Especially in a state like Texas where a large part of the citizenry is armed for self defense.

If they were too afraid to go to the front door, they should have just parked in front of her house and addressed her from the loudspeaker on their car. Not like they didn't wake up and traumatize the whole neighborhood by shooting her anyway.

It also sounds like even if he had announced himself she may not have been able to hear what he was saying through the apparently closed window.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies