Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2019, 03:45 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
The officer's story is very likely to be that he asked her to show her hands and as he was able to see them realized she had a gun pointed at him and he reacted instinctively. Maybe even that her gun startled him and caused an accidental shot.

Such s scenario will give a jury trouble.
Have you seen the footage?

You sure you're in the right thread?

He can say that all he wants but the differential in time between request and shot without an announcement of who he is will sink him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2019, 03:46 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,438,184 times
Quote:
The officer's story is very likely to be that he asked her to show her hands and as he was able to see them realized she had a gun pointed at him and he reacted instinctively. Maybe even that her gun startled him and caused an accidental shot.

I think a jury will have more trouble with him creeping her backyard when there appears to be no reason for them to think a burglary was in progress, not identifying himself as a police officer and expecting her to hear/understand him through a closed window.

Old 10-15-2019, 03:50 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,438,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
We don't know with this guy. You're right.

People are just socially awkward/askew more and more nowadays. That's just my gut and based on my experience when I did private security which included home defense.

I honestly think it's because people have become more and more reliant on government.
Interesting comment.

I believe it was the FW Mayor who said something in reference to their training that they assume they've trained a new generation of officers well, but they forget that younger generations frequently default to equipment rather than communication and they need to make sure they overcome that tendency.

Old 10-15-2019, 03:50 PM

46,949 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I actually did that once.

The guy put the gun to my right kidney and pulled the trigger anyway.

From now on, I will put his gun-fu to the test.
Not blaming you, but ultimately it's a numbers game, right? Sucks to be at the wrong end of the stats, admittedly.

Old 10-15-2019, 03:51 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
OK. Did Philando Castile have the right to bear arm or not? Where was the NRA?
Your argument is predicated on the assumption that the NRA is out there protesting and making noise about white people getting shot. And that's false. The NRA is an advocacy group by and large and fights to secure strengthened 2nd Amendment rights for people throughout the country. The organization works to change laws that impact everyone. Not just white people Through its judicial arm, the organization fights on behalf of Americans of all races, choosing to take on strong cases regardless of race. Try again.

Old 10-15-2019, 03:56 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,651,799 times
Have the NRA made any statements yet, like defending this woman rights to bear arms.

Old 10-15-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Have you seen the footage?

You sure you're in the right thread?

He can say that all he wants but the differential in time between request and shot without an announcement of who he is will sink him.
Yes, he's going down.

Old 10-15-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:

No, that's not going to fly.

Old 10-15-2019, 04:02 PM

46,949 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Interesting comment.

I believe it was the FW Mayor who said something in reference to their training that they assume they've trained a new generation of officers well, but they forget that younger generations frequently default to equipment rather than communication and they need to make sure they overcome that tendency.
That is very neatly put. I worked quite a bit with some very compressed "law enforcement 101" classes back in Europe (long story), and getting people to work the situation out with minimum force gets harder the more options for using force they have. They fall into the thought pattern of "Is this a handcuff/baton/teargas/firearm situation? I need to check a box!" instead of using their wits and their empathy.

We'd always run at least one scenario where the pretend-perpetrator was instructed to be willing to surrender if asked in a reasonable manner, and the failure rate was easily over 50%.

Old 10-15-2019, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
It's not a false race card. The 2nd amendment doesn't apply to black folks. That is the nra's official stance by their complete silence when it comes to gun rights for black folks.

All anyone has to do to prove me wrong is for the nra to come out and reiterate that philando Castile and now Jefferson had the right to bear arm. It's really simple.

My prediction. No jury will find a cop guilty of murder for killing a black person holding a gun. Just wait and see.

Depends on the makeup of that jury, and hope they can use the Dallas case as an example, but with a stiffer sentence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies