Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2019, 02:33 AM

638 posts, read 240,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimMoeDee View Post
You're right. Some people are clueless. If you would read your history, it has been constant life and death situations for blacks on a daily basis. Why respect "authority" when "authority" doesn't respect our human life.

Sorry, but you are the ignorant one here.
Considering the amount of black on black crime in this country, I will go ahead and laugh at your comments. Over 400 black on black murders in Chicago a year and you want to bring up white cops not respecting black life??? This year I don't recall a single case of a Chicago cop killing a black person and certainly not a high profile case where the officer was wrong.. Yet whenever there is a white cop shooting of a black person its on the news and the protesting begins! Where is the outrage and protesting of the other 400???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2019, 04:40 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,958,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Neighbors actually get off their lazy backside and walk over to the house and check themselves first before wasting the time of law enforcement.
Too many kept children who rely on government.
At 2 AM in the morning?
I would be a bit leery of knocking on someones door at 2 AM in a bad neighborhood.
There was a school kid shot and killed for knocking on a door during the day.

Old 10-17-2019, 06:24 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,436,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Oops! You’re right. Thanks!

When the cop, without legal justification, created the life and death situation, he loses the ability to argue self defense.

If I were to go to my local Stop and Rob, produce a handgun, and demand that the clerk give me the contents of the cash register, the clerk then produces their own gun, and I shoot the clerk, I can’t raise a self defense argument as a legal justification for shooting the clerk.

It’s the same with this cop. The defense will likely raise that argument, but the prosecutor should have little trouble shutting that down.
I hear you, but I still think there could be jurors who will have trouble equating a cop doing his job(no matter how poorly) and an armed robber at a convenience store.

Old 10-17-2019, 09:27 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,554,286 times
I haven't read all the pages of this huge thread, but the question I have is why in hell did the neighbor call the cops simply because the main front door was open (screen door closed) and the lights were on? And why was a cop sent out to investigate? I find it an absolute violation of privacy for a wellness check to be taken simply because someone is up and around at 2:30am and has the door open for fresh air. If a cop showed up at my house in such a situation I would feel my privacy was totally invaded for no reason. The dispatcher should have taken the call and told the neighbor to mind his f'g business.

I left the side door to my garage open all day one time, and a cop who was driving by actually stopped and knocked on my door to ask why, said he wanted to make sure everything was ok. Cops have no right to make contact under these situations, they are WAY over reaching their authority.

Old 10-17-2019, 09:45 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,771,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
I haven't read all the pages of this huge thread, but the question I have is why in hell did the neighbor call the cops simply because the main front door was open (screen door closed) and the lights were on? And why was a cop sent out to investigate? I find it an absolute violation of privacy for a wellness check to be taken simply because someone is up and around at 2:30am and has the door open for fresh air. If a cop showed up at my house in such a situation I would feel my privacy was totally invaded for no reason. The dispatcher should have taken the call and told the neighbor to mind his f'g business.

I left the side door to my garage open all day one time, and a cop who was driving by actually stopped and knocked on my door to ask why, said he wanted to make sure everything was ok. Cops have no right to make contact under these situations, they are WAY over reaching their authority.

Well, unless a burglar had actually broken into your door and was holding your family at gunpoint....

This is a very sticky point for black people in unsavory neighborhoods because we frequently need the help of people with "rough hands" but we also know that police see us all as criminals.

The last time I called the police (because I'd been hit-and-run at a stop light) I was the one they cuffed and tossed into their car, even though I was dressed conservatively and they had my government ID showing I was senior military.

So many black people follow the rule of never calling the police, period, because the chances of the wrong black person being killed is far too high.

As this case indicates.

And white people who call the police on blacks for stupid stuff are just demonstrating their own willingness to see a black person killed for stupid stuff.

Remember: Involving the police always means involving someone with a gun. If the situation does not require someone to be killed, don't call for someone with a gun.

Old 10-17-2019, 09:53 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,436,522 times
Quote:

However you feel about neighbors calling stuff like this in, I suspect this neighbor will be getting his own huge payout from Fort Worth.

Old 10-17-2019, 10:20 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,051,112 times
Sadly he won't get murder. He should but he won't

Talk about a Police State.

Old 10-17-2019, 10:39 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,803,251 times
Quote:

Apparently the person who called knew the neighbor and it would have been very out of character for her to do this. It was actually her daughter who was staying there babysitting the nephew though.

Old 10-17-2019, 10:54 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,923,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Well, unless a burglar had actually broken into your door and was holding your family at gunpoint....

This is a very sticky point for black people in unsavory neighborhoods because we frequently need the help of people with "rough hands" but we also know that police see us all as criminals.

The last time I called the police (because I'd been hit-and-run at a stop light) I was the one they cuffed and tossed into their car, even though I was dressed conservatively and they had my government ID showing I was senior military.

So many black people follow the rule of never calling the police, period, because the chances of the wrong black person being killed is far too high.

As this case indicates.

And white people who call the police on blacks for stupid stuff are just demonstrating their own willingness to see a black person killed for stupid stuff.

Remember: Involving the police always means involving someone with a gun. If the situation does not require someone to be killed, don't call for someone with a gun.
Thanks for the reality check. Helps those of us understand who don't deal with that on a daily basis. Not sure how we fix this, convicting this cop of murder would be a start. We will see how that goes.

Old 10-17-2019, 11:30 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,554,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Apparently the person who called knew the neighbor and it would have been very out of character for her to do this. It was actually her daughter who was staying there babysitting the nephew though.
It doesn't matter that the neighbor felt this was out of character or not, a front door open with a screen door closed, lights on at 2:30am isn't in any way suggestive of a crime or a problem so I fail to understand why a cop was dispatched. The way the cop dealt with the situation is simply mind boggingly inappropriate, but the fact he was dispatched in the first place I find totally unwarranted - it should have never happened and was in itself an illegal invasion of privacy.
Cops are not supposed to be allowed to go snooping around private property and banging on doors on a whim - I know they get away with it all the time, but its not supposed to work like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies