Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which candidate would you choose?
Candidate A 20 76.92%
Candidate B 6 23.08%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2019, 08:06 AM

20,459 posts, read 12,379,585 times

Advertisements

So I have actually been in that position before.

My very first time to vote was the governors election in Louisiana when Edwin Edwards (a noted despicable person with very liberal views) was running against David Duke (A noted despicable person who is also a racist bigot dirt bag)

i am a conservative. i grew up waiting for the day i got to vote AGAINST Edwin Edwards

I voted FOR Edwin Edwards.

Thank God i am not in that situation again. Right now we have a president who morally speaking is equal to the culture. That means pretty far gone as far as morals are concerned.

On the other side we have a group of people that are about what he is.... except they want to destroy the country.

so I'm voting for the morally questionable president who has been very much a defender of the constitution. In fact, if I were liberal in my views, I would vote for Trump simply because of fidelity to the constitution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2019, 10:01 AM

1,406 posts, read 801,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
What a unless biased thread. SHOULD BE CLOSED.
Nothing biased about it, two equally valid choices. And even if it were biased, so what? There are plenty of biased threads on this board.

Anyone who thinks a thread should be closed just because they don't agree with it is probably too sensitive to be participating in online discussions.

Old 10-17-2019, 11:22 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,551 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
No, I think it’s a fair question - what matters to you more in a politician, the character of the person or the policies they propose for the nation. Of course someone who possess both would be better, but as we saw in 2016, that isn’t always an option. As someone who was an adult during Carter’s tenure I feel this actually is a very important concept. Carter was an honorable man who sincerely meant well but we have yet to see as inept of a president in my lifetime, and hopefully won’t ever.
  • So, Trump v Carter
    • Sad to say, it would easily be Trump.
I thought Clinton was a pig of a human, not to mention having a shrew for a wife, and I didn’t always agree with some of his values, but I voted for him in his second term because he was a good president.
  • Trump v Clinton
    • Ugh - it’s a toss-up
Obama was hands down a more presentable president than Trump - like, massively so. I do miss Obama’s respectable disposition. However, on policy, holy crap, I doubt I agree with anything other than Cuba, Denali, and overtime exemption caps.
  • Trump v Obama
    • Again, easily Trump.
And Trump v Warren, Sanders, Beto, Hillary, Booker, Harris, Biden.......? You guessed it, Trump in all his crass glory.

So, I guess it’s fair to say, I lean towards candidate A.
But we have no idea what policies you support based on that and this is why I have a problem with most republicans i meet in real life.

I ask them what they support and they name mostly Democratic policies. They prove to be one issue voters because of abortion or immigration, and even then they tend to be more on the fence that straight up on one side or the other.

Old 10-17-2019, 11:49 AM

5,654 posts, read 6,215,513 times
I don't think a question like this can be answered in a vacuum, even if you accept the premise that this question is not based on any particular current candidate (which strains credulity).

I've never encountered a politician with whom I agree 100% of the time. I also can't think of any politician with whom I've disagreed with 100% of the time. So asking someone a binary question when the he/she doesn't know with which policies the despicable person candidate agrees with him/her and by how far off they are you can't possibly weigh the two factors. The question also presupposes no other factors outside of personal integrity and policy viewpoints.

Old 10-25-2019, 02:37 AM

7,709 posts, read 5,454,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
so I'm voting for the morally questionable president who has been very much a defender of the constitution. In fact, if I were liberal in my views, I would vote for Trump simply because of fidelity to the constitution.
Trump is not a defender of The Constitution, far from it. Did you not hear him take a dump on Article I, Section 9, Clause 8 of the United States Constitution, just a few days ago? While defending his original intent to host the G7 summit at his Florida Doral resort, President Trump referred to the emoluments clause as "phony."

Any time The Constitution does not support tyrant Trump getting what he wants, he will always choose to go against it.

I wouldn't trust him regarding gun confiscation, either. If the coward with bone spurs should ever get all the power he wants, he'll make sure no one has guns because he is scared poopless that someone may shoot him. He really wants to be leader for life, and/or like the Chinese and Russian leaders he admires as an all-powerful leader he'd like suspend free speech, too.

He would sell this country down the river for an extra billion bucks in his pocket.

Last edited by SFBayBoomer; 10-25-2019 at 02:48 AM..

Old 10-25-2019, 08:57 AM

628 posts, read 663,212 times
Most people don’t care if the CEO of their company is an sob. They care about having a good job. Vote accordingly people...

Old 10-25-2019, 12:34 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,157,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey2k View Post
(I'm putting this in the general P&OC section because it doesn't pertain to any actual candidates or elections, if it still belongs in the Elections sub-forum please move it)

As a general rule, would you vote for:

Candidate A: Shares your views and supports your issues, but is personally unethical, sleazy, or otherwise extremely disagreeable or despicable

Candidate B: A decent, ethical person, but they are on the opposite side of many issues as you.

These are your only two choices. No third parties, no write-ins, no abstaining.
I have been labeled a deplorable, an irredeemable, a racist, stupid, smelly Walmart shopper.The left work overtime to do the same to Trump. I vote Trump for love of Country and his love for ALL AMERICANS. GOD BLESS PRESIDENT TRUMP KAG.2020.

Old 10-25-2019, 02:24 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
(I'm putting this in the general P&OC section because it doesn't pertain to any actual candidates or elections, if it still belongs in the Elections sub-forum please move it)

Candidate A: Shares your views and supports your issues, but is personally unethical, sleazy, or otherwise extremely disagreeable or despicable

Candidate B: A decent, ethical person, but they are on the opposite side of many issues as you.

Can I commit suicide?

Actually I know the answer to that: no.

It's illegal.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/maryland-...suicide-charge

Old 10-25-2019, 06:01 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,141,179 times
Quote:

You know what's kind of sad?

Ten years ago, no one would even have thought to ask this question. Because it really never occurred to people that we could possibly have a presidential candidate so openly unethical, corrupt, and despicable as Trump has shown himself to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies